Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dainichi Tosai Grow Out?

Quote Originally Posted by smithvillemike View Post
    I would be interested in a SFF certified female with Saki judging at the end. I have wanted to watch a Saki grow in my pond. One reads so much about the genetics but until you actually get to see the progression of growth and maturity of the koi up close and personal you can't really appreciate them.

The issue is that they would be a more expensive koi and there are many who don't spend as much on koi. I have a small pond so I would pay the extra to ensure female. I would also pay more to get a better quality koi that would stand a chance of remaining in my pond and not getting rehomed.

I know a few of us are doing the Dainichi sanke this year which is why my post is leaning towards Saki. Half my pond is Dainichi.
    Thanks for the input Mike... I also like Momotaro Tosai for grow out...

--Dinh

Quote Originally Posted by dinh View Post
    Thanks for the input Mike... I also like Momotaro Tosai for grow out...

--Dinh
    I've heard, even the male ones...

Tategoi
    Tom, this is just a plan to see if we have enough people want to particiapte.... More details to be worked out if we plan to do one...

For judging, we can ask the breeder to judge or find some good judges or koi kichies with the depth knowledge of nishikigoi to judge. This should be not a problem.

Female or Male tosai: same here Tom, most of us want to have Female Koi. As you know, unless we are willing to go for the special or jumbo tosai, so breeders can sex and certify female, but for just AAA grade that we are target for, it is top for breeder to guarantee Female at tosai age... Last year, we have few Tosai from Dainichi with Certificate and specified as Female, 8 out of 10 turned out to be Males.

Best regards,
    --Dinh
    Hi Dinh,

First of all thanks for trying to get this together for us. Like Mike said I don't mind paying a little more for a higher quality, female koi, because after raising it for a year, I would like to continue to keep it in my pond to grow out more vs having to rehome it because it turned out to be a male or the quality just wasn't there to start with. It doesn't have to be Dainichi, I would love for you to hook us up with some SFF Sakai or Omosako.
    As far as your Dainichi turning out to be males, sorry it had to happen to you. Did you buy them in Tx when your group visited Tx last year from Dainichi? Let me know and I can talk to Dainichi for you, when they come back this year and see if they can do something for you. These are not guaranteed 100% to be females, because they are still tosai. But they are classified female to the best of Dainichi's knowledge and that is why they say they're females on the certificate. I think it's so very hard to determine the sex of a koi when they are still tosai, but I would rather trust the breeders eyes over mine anytime.
    Dainichi has been bringing these certified JT for years to Texas and from what I gather from previous buyers only 10% to 20% turn out to be males.

Quote Originally Posted by 4TEXAS View Post
    Hi Dinh,

I think it's so very hard to determine the sex of a koi when they are still tosai, but I would rather trust the breeders eyes over mine anytime.
    Let Lam sex them.

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    Let Lam sex them.
    Are you sure about that! You know he just has a DR. title and I don't think that's his field of expertise. The last time I asked his advise in how to sex anything he told me the secret was in his "Hands", he could determine anything with his hands.

Are you sure about that! You know he just has a DR. title and I don't think that's his field of expertise. The last time I asked his advise in how to sex anything he told me the secret was in his "Hands", he could determine anything with his hands.
    Dang Tom, now you know my secrets....yup, it's all in the hands, baby.....gotta feel 'em with the hands. Sandy, you know about me and sexing......anything I touched turned out to be males.

By the way, the Dr behind my name is true. I received a Doctorate degree in Koi Sexing a few years back. Now I have a DKS behind my name (Lam Nguyen, DKS, DBS).......btw, DBS stands for Doctor of BS'ing.

How about something of this quality for the grow out event? Please note that this picture was copied from Pan Intercorp website (moderator, if you feel that this is a violation of copyright and/or free advertising, please either remove this post or let me know and I can remove it).

It will be hard to get JT of this quality with a certified female certificate for $500 or less. Therefore, if we want females then we have to be willing to pay more, which would mean less people participating in the growout event. If sex doesn't matter then we may be able to get koi of this quality for $500 or less and there will be more participants.

Did you get your degree from the Male Institute of Big Pecs?

You can always look at my fish, but you can't touch.

That quality would be awesome!

Tom/Lam, since both of you are doctors, can you use your field of expertise in koi sexing for the following koi ....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dainichi Tosai Grow Out?-koitype1.jpg   Dainichi Tosai Grow Out?-koitype2.jpg  

Tategoi
    Tom/Lam, since both of you are doctors, can you use your field of expertise in koi sexing for the following koi ....
    I don't know as much as Lam, but I think I've learned enough from him to use my hands to sex these koi. Even if I'm wrong it's an effort that will be well enjoyed. I had a enjoyable ....uhuh I mean educational experience using my hands on the first koi, but the 2nd one I'm going to have to take home and study from it for a little longer. What's your expertise opinion on my take Dr. Lam.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast