Home | About Us | Contact Us


Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: help!!skin problem...

  1. #1
    Tosai alvin9xw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    25

    help!!skin problem...

    hi guys!! i just saw my showa tosai this morning and i notice that her/his scales is a little bit raised and the white is pinkish and there's a greyish/yellowish spot on the head..is this a bacteria or parasite?can u pls tell me how to cure this..tnx

    alvin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails help!!skin problem...-samsung-text-017.jpg  

  2. #2
    Daihonmei PapaBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Davenport, Oklahoma
    Posts
    6,726
    It appears that you have some early signs of pine coning which indicates an internal infection on the march. The skin and scales are symptomatic of an internal problem.

    If you have a hospital tank I would put it in there for starters with salt elevated to .03 for starters and plenty of O2. This will ease osmotic stress on the tissues in the short term. Keep the water well tested and allow the temperature to settle in around mid 70's F.

    Do you have a scope? Scraping and scoping any injured area may help you pin down the source of the problem and give you better guidance for any medication (likely injectable) that you might need.

    Tell us about the rest of the pond and Koi you have together with any water tests you have performed. Ph, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, kh, gh are all important factors at this stage.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

  3. #3
    Tosai alvin9xw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    It appears that you have some early signs of pine coning which indicates an internal infection on the march. The skin and scales are symptomatic of an internal problem.

    If you have a hospital tank I would put it in there for starters with salt elevated to .03 for starters and plenty of O2. This will ease osmotic stress on the tissues in the short term. Keep the water well tested and allow the temperature to settle in around mid 70's F.

    Do you have a scope? Scraping and scoping any injured area may help you pin down the source of the problem and give you better guidance for any medication (likely injectable) that you might need.

    Tell us about the rest of the pond and Koi you have together with any water tests you have performed. Ph, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, kh, gh are all important factors at this stage.
    hi papabear

    thank u for replying to my message..i dont have a scope to scap my fish i only did the water test and my result are
    ammonia= 0
    nitrite=0
    Ph=8.5

    i dont have nitrate,kh and gh right now maybe ill get some later..and can i give my other fish a salt bath just in case they are contaminated with bacteria ?

    alvin

  4. #4
    Daihonmei PapaBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Davenport, Oklahoma
    Posts
    6,726
    I'm not a fan of treating "healthy fish", so if they are asymptomatic I'd leave well enough alone. The one showing pine coning is the one to concentrate your efforts on while obviously keeping an observant eye on the others for signs of trouble.

    Do you have a hospital/quarantine tank for the sick one to spend some "quality time" in? Much easier to observe, treat, and control than just netting for dips out of the main pond. Also much less stressful which aids in the treatment/healing process.

  5. #5
    Tosai alvin9xw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    I'm not a fan of treating "healthy fish", so if they are asymptomatic I'd leave well enough alone. The one showing pine coning is the one to concentrate your efforts on while obviously keeping an observant eye on the others for signs of trouble.

    Do you have a hospital/quarantine tank for the sick one to spend some "quality time" in? Much easier to observe, treat, and control than just netting for dips out of the main pond. Also much less stressful which aids in the treatment/healing process.
    hi papabear,

    yes i have a QT but its only 50gal tank,my fish is only 8'' so i think 50gal is enough..im new in this hobby so can u pls tell me how to get 0.3% of salt in my 50gal tank..tnx

    alvin

  6. #6
    Tosai
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Snellville, Ga
    Posts
    49
    Alvin, A little less than a pound and a half should get you to .3% which is good if you have a fish with a systemic infection. A salt bath for your other fish will do nothing for bacteria control. The salt justs helps your sick fish with maintaining the balence of water in and out of his system (osmoregulation) and lets his energy concentrate on healing instead. Keep the water in the QT pristine and see if you can find someone to scrape and scope for parasites. If you don't correct whatever caused the infection to start with then he will never heal. Good luck....Gary

  7. #7
    Daihonmei PapaBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Davenport, Oklahoma
    Posts
    6,726
    Quote Originally Posted by alvin9xw View Post
    hi papabear,

    yes i have a QT but its only 50gal tank,my fish is only 8'' so i think 50gal is enough..im new in this hobby so can u pls tell me how to get 0.3% of salt in my 50gal tank..tnx

    alvin
    Be careful with decimal points... If you move it one place you have a 10 fold error.

    For salt calculations this little tool can be very useful.

    CNYKOI - Salinity calculator

    Your QT needs to be well aerated and extremely well filtered to ensure that no ammonia or nitrite issues arise. In a 50 gallon tank water is difficult to maintain, so you'll have to stay on top of it.

  8. #8
    Tosai alvin9xw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by gelmore54 View Post
    Alvin, A little less than a pound and a half should get you to .3% which is good if you have a fish with a systemic infection. A salt bath for your other fish will do nothing for bacteria control. The salt justs helps your sick fish with maintaining the balence of water in and out of his system (osmoregulation) and lets his energy concentrate on healing instead. Keep the water in the QT pristine and see if you can find someone to scrape and scope for parasites. If you don't correct whatever caused the infection to start with then he will never heal. Good luck....Gary
    hi gary,

    thank u for your help gary ,im only new in this hobby so i dont know anyone who can scrape my fish,i think i will put her/him to my QT for now..

    alvin

  9. #9
    Tosai alvin9xw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Be careful with decimal points... If you move it one place you have a 10 fold error.

    For salt calculations this little tool can be very useful.

    CNYKOI - Salinity calculator

    Your QT needs to be well aerated and extremely well filtered to ensure that no ammonia or nitrite issues arise. In a 50 gallon tank water is difficult to maintain, so you'll have to stay on top of it.
    hi papabear,

    tnx again this website is very helpful, i think all we can do now is wait and see what happens..

    alvin

  10. #10
    Oyagoi kntry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Louisiana - KHA
    Posts
    2,459
    If possible, keep the water temp around 75°.

    Watch the water quality closely. You'll probably have to do frequent water changes which means adding little salt each time. Salt does not evaporate so you'll need to be careful to only add enough to bring the salinity back up to .3%. They're hard to find in a brick and mortar store but they sell salt test kits.

Similar Threads

  1. Skin
    By MikeM in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 12-08-2014, 02:18 PM
  2. what came first; the color or the skin
    By JasPR in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 07:24 AM
  3. Rough skin
    By DaveB in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-13-2012, 05:47 PM
  4. Help Please: koi with skin problem
    By Grahamu in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-24-2011, 08:23 PM
  5. Skin question
    By matsuba in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-13-2011, 11:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Articles - Sitemap - FAQs and Rules

KB Footer Graphic
Straight from Japan... For the serious hobbyist!
All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com