Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: applicable logic?

Sandy,
    When i fed Pro-biotics for the time, I kept the temp consistant with the previous food fed. 68 F and was shocked at the lesser amount trapped each day in the sump. Which I felt made it worth the additional price.
    The filters didn't have to work as hard and the Koi honestly seemed to prosper.
    Usually with any thread, you get pros and cons and a few worthwhile
    shreds of info.
    I notice the same thing in Bonsai, where some insist on using something akin to our filter bacteria start, and some say it's just a waste of money. So I usually use a bit of olde soil when I change to make sure what i need has a start in the soil ( kinda like sourdough ).
    again I appreciate everyone's thoughts and inputs
    Dick Benbow

Daihonmei
    Hikari and Joe do not use the fact that their foods contain probiotics as a major selling strategy...You actually have to go looking for it to find it.... both of em seem to place more emphasis on the quality and type of the food items.

So Dick, what do yuo do for koi food probiotics concerning "a bit of olde soil "...put some koi poop in the bag?

I'll have to check it out then. I always thought that was something only needed after antibiotics, surgery or being sick.

Luke, I have never been able to identify your sense of humor over the years, but it never fails to bring a smile to my face.

It's a kind of mold looking thing with a long name, I'd probably mis spell but phoeneticaaly it's pronounced " Mike-crow-rize-za" and it's not fertilizer but somethingthat isa living that breaks down fertilizer so that the bonsai can better use it it. It seems to be specific to a kind so you can't use some from a pine tree on say an azealea....

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    Luke, I have never been able to identify your sense of humor over the years, but it never fails to bring a smile to my face.

It's a kind of mold looking thing with a long name, I'd probably mis spell but phoeneticaaly it's pronounced " Mike-crow-rize-za" and it's not fertilizer but somethingthat isa living that breaks down fertilizer so that the bonsai can better use it it. It seems to be specific to a kind so you can't use some from a pine tree on say an azealea....
    There is a specific strain of fungi that is used as an adjunct for proper root function (not just for bonsai of course) that improves water and nutrient intake efficiency. It is natural in most soils, but it does have legitimate uses in certain soils and much like probiotics, at a minimum it does no harm and can be of great benefit at times.
    I think your observation of your Koi "thriving" is what is really most important in the conversation. Performance that can be observed is worthwhile and that is all we really look for isn't it? If they are thriving it tells us that their food and water are both performing well as neither can overcome a deficiency in the other on its own.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Daihonmei
    yep
    I used to be an active member in the Brevard County Rare Fruit Council...and we had varying results using beneficial bacteria
    here's an elementary article about the hub bub
    Fungi Perfecti: MycoGrow™ mycorrhizal products

We purchased some specific for fruit trees.
    Many saw what it did for my orange trees...the things launched out of the ground, and produdced wonderful fruit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12