Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chicken Eggs for breakfast...

Chicken Eggs for breakfast...

I just posted this over at NI, but I want to put it up here as well.

I'm still undergoing JR withdrawals, but I still trust the experience and wisdom found here in his absence so I'm tossing out this question.

Has anyone toyed with using eggs as a high protein supplement to your feeding regime? I've used them in my fry feeding as that is widely accepted, but my thoughts are for nissai-yonsai growth and bulk building.

Many high protein foods are lacking portions of the amino acid profile but whole eggs contain the full complement of amino acids at high levels. The fat levels are also rather high, but used only as a supplement along with a leaner food I wonder if there is something to be gained.

What I am mulling over is well beaten whole egg, seasoned with garlic and other herbs that Koi seem attracted to, cooked on a sheet roughly 1/4" deep. They could then be easily cubed for feeding along with whatever other grain/fish meal base feed I may be using.

Am I crazy, misguided, just plain silly, or do you think it worth consideration?

If you wish to take a look, here is a website that gives a fairly complete nutritional breakdown on eggs.

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Egg, whole, raw, fresh
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    I just posted this over at NI, but I want to put it up here as well.

I'm still undergoing JR withdrawals, but I still trust the experience and wisdom found here in his absence so I'm tossing out this question.

Has anyone toyed with using eggs as a high protein supplement to your feeding regime? I've used them in my fry feeding as that is widely accepted, but my thoughts are for nissai-yonsai growth and bulk building.

Many high protein foods are lacking portions of the amino acid profile but whole eggs contain the full complement of amino acids at high levels. The fat levels are also rather high, but used only as a supplement along with a leaner food I wonder if there is something to be gained.

What I am mulling over is well beaten whole egg, seasoned with garlic and other herbs that Koi seem attracted to, cooked on a sheet roughly 1/4" deep. They could then be easily cubed for feeding along with whatever other grain/fish meal base feed I may be using.

Am I crazy, misguided, just plain silly, or do you think it worth consideration?

If you wish to take a look, here is a website that gives a fairly complete nutritional breakdown on eggs.

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Egg, whole, raw, fresh

I would be interested in this for sure. I wonder if it'd be worthwile to feed mostly egg white rather than the whole egg?

Our buddy from down under (mrbradleybradley) started a thread about the feasibility of powdered egg white as a feed ingredient several years ago, but I don't know if he ever went anywhere with it. Since he already had that thought I'll bet this topic gets his attention.

While it is true that the white's are less fatty and higher in protein% the yolks contain other nutrients of value along with a still high protein content. Obtaining the most net benefit without compromising health and overall nutrition is what I'm striving for.

I have used eggs in my paste food mix as well as beer.

In the summer months I general feed a mix of paste and pellet. My paste consist of:

Japanese Sweet Potato - Boiled and drained
    Pako bread crumbs - as binder
    Honey - natural sweetener, makes the koi eat more
    one egg - protein
    Keirin Beer - wet agent
    Chitinol - Izeki product, adds minerals for skin conditioning
    Cod Liver Oil - helps with conditioning liver
    Tablespoon of Super Clean C - Izeki product help in digestion Koi Clay can be used as a replacement if you cant get Izeki.
    powdered milk - high in vitamin D

I have also added bonito shaving and it has worked well too, you can add powdered spirulina, but I would look for a high grade at your local health food store.

When mixed together you should have a mix like cookie dough. I do a feeding of this during the summer months going into a November Show.

Izeki products are hard to come by and sometimes when you do get the Izeki paste food it's pretty old.

Hopes this helps.

Tony.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Thanks Tony. That's actually very close to a recipe I've used as well, but as you say, Izeki paste can be a pain to find sometimes... especially "fresh" I was thinking along the KISS principle for ease of prep and use. I can break, season, whip, and nuke an egg in about 2 minutes flat and cubing it only takes about a minute.

I only have one question on your recipe... Why would you waste a perfectly good Keirin on paste food? I'd use a cheap domestic for the feesh food and drink the Keirin as a pondside "toast"

I certainly don't see any reason why an egg couldn't be used as a food suppliment for Koi.

Like those that are on an Organic kick, I would think the product tho more expensive would be better in the long run for nutrition with free range birds than those from tiny cages couped up in a production line.

Since raw eggs can carry ?, I would think that hard boiling them would be a safe way to prepare to add to other ingredients like the "meatballs" Tony is manufacturing.

I've toyed for years with homemade foods and think I need to get a blender again just designated for that purpose and make my own additives. One that has me interested in is the seaweed, that the japanese use with thier sushi.
    Dick Benbow

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Thanks Tony. That's actually very close to a recipe I've used as well, but as you say, Izeki paste can be a pain to find sometimes... especially "fresh" I was thinking along the KISS principle for ease of prep and use. I can break, season, whip, and nuke an egg in about 2 minutes flat and cubing it only takes about a minute.

I only have one question on your recipe... Why would you waste a perfectly good Keirin on paste food? I'd use a cheap domestic for the feesh food and drink the Keirin as a pondside "toast"
    The left over beeru is for the nice owner hand mixing the paste... When I used to breed Rottweilers back in the day I always cooked my eggs when I mixed it in my puppies food, but when I mix my koi food I mix it in raw.

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    I certainly don't see any reason why an egg couldn't be used as a food suppliment for Koi.

Like those that are on an Organic kick, I would think the product tho more expensive would be better in the long run for nutrition with free range birds than those from tiny cages couped up in a production line.

Since raw eggs can carry ?, I would think that hard boiling them would be a safe way to prepare to add to other ingredients like the "meatballs" Tony is manufacturing.

I've toyed for years with homemade foods and think I need to get a blender again just designated for that purpose and make my own additives. One that has me interested in is the seaweed, that the japanese use with thier sushi.
    I have tried sushi seaweed before, I put them in a coffee grinder and powdered it up and mixed in my paste mix. The only reason I used it was when I ran out of spirulina powder.

If you're mainly looking for something they will eat that is a complete protein and low in fat, try Quinoa. It's a grain used in place of rice.

Quinoa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting and perfect timing !

What about purchasing Silkworm Pupae from Oriental Food Markets ? I believe it is sold as (called) Dak Dae . Like the Spirulina Algae from a Health Food Store is suppose to be of better quality , I wonder if anyone thinks buy Silkworm from a Food Market would be better too ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast