Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: What do you think of this Sanke?

What do you think of this Sanke?

The first pic was taken when the fish was tosai at 7-8" inches

The second pic was taken when the fish was 19-20" inches

This fish is from Ogata.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do you think of this Sanke?-tosai-sanke-2.jpg   What do you think of this Sanke?-sanke-tosai.jpg  

In first pic the head seems a bit too pointed even for tosai but body lines are otherwise acceptable, the brightness of the color may indicate good skin quality (would need to see in person), the pigments seem near finished (but that could be the magic of photos), and the pattern is not appealing to my eye. In the second pic the distortion prevents evaluating the body, and the whites do not have the brightness of the first pic. Lighting can be the cause of that. It still seems near finished despite growth. I am still unimpressed by the pattern.

The round pectorals say 'female' to my eye, but it otherwise looks male. A curious fish. I think this one has to be seen in person. My comments are more useful from a photo marketing perspective than for deciding whether to devote resources to the fish.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as Mike. The 2nd pic in particular gives an odd distortion to the head/frame and makes a realistic evaluation pretty much impossible for me. The quality of the hi plates and sumi appears very solid, but beyond that there isn't much to be gleaned from the pic's.

I was trying out my scanner last night, so I tested out these pics on it. The pics were taken with a 4mp Sony Cybershot so the pics arent that good. This was one of the Sanke Tosai I grew several years ago before I had my "leaving the water on" accident.

I do agree the pattern is so so, not your typical "show" or stepped pattern. I do remember however the beni didn't go down during the growing process as some tosai tend to do and this is not with the aid of color enhancers in the paste mix I was feeding during that time period. I think by genetics sense, the fact that Ogata mixes Jimbei and Matsunsuke bloodline to get his mix, the Jimbei side of it came out on the beni as the sumi seemed at the time to be developing more Matsunosuke.

Tony
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

So close but yet so far away.