Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Koi Cold ?????

Koi Cold ?????

I have notice blister like marks on the body of some of my bigger Koi. It looks like blisters in the mucus layer and seems to move around, I am also sure one will be able to rub this off. I have been told of keepers that have added 6% salt to the pond and it disappears. I believe that Sakai refers to this as a koi cold.

Anyone with more experience on this and an a alternative treatment as I would prefer not to add 200kgs of salt to my pond.
    I have also experienced more Mucus on the head than normal.
    Bobby Matthee

Hi All I used the word blister to describe the problem incorrectly a better description would be flaking.

Sorry to hear about your koi issues. I would reccomend you scrape off some of the mucous and check it with a microscope to determine if any paracites are present. Without knowing the reason for the condition you are trying to describe it is impossible to give a appropriate response. A close up photo of the problem can be very helpful.

Also please list your current water perimeters. Including, temperture, pH, Kh, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and 02 levels if known. Please give a summary of fish load and pond volume and brief description of filter system. Also any recent changes in pond in the past six weeks including new additions, changes in filtration, medications used, and normal maintainence schedule.
    Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    I have notice blister like marks on the body of some of my bigger Koi. It looks like blisters in the mucus layer and seems to move around, I am also sure one will be able to rub this off. I have been told of keepers that have added 6% salt to the pond and it disappears. I believe that Sakai refers to this as a koi cold.

Anyone with more experience on this and an a alternative treatment as I would prefer not to add 200kgs of salt to my pond.
    I have also experienced more Mucus on the head than normal.
    It just might be Carp Pox ,difficult to tell with just description. I remember seeing some photos on Google so go there. Type in Carp Pox and tell us if that is what it looks like. There is no cure for it but sometimes goes away by itself does not seem to spread to other fish. Had one about 15 years ago and it went away by itself
    Regards
    Eugene

Bobby it is truly called a koi cold, don't worry about it, it will go away. I've seen it & can't seem to find the pics to post.

Let me go look some more.

Found it!

Here is a pic of it. The cold was not permanent, the spot went away after a few days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Koi Cold ?????-koi-cold.jpg  

Hi a quick pond overview, only 3 months old and still with NPS in my opinion, stocking levels very low, only 11 Koi.
    The Sanke seems to resemble Flounder's picture.

I need to add that my water temp has dropped from an average of 25C the past few months to 19C-20C over the past weeks

Nexus 300 x2 Easy Pods X2 55w Quarts UV's x 2 Trickle Towers 32000lt pond

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Koi Cold ?????-_mg_0235.jpg   Koi Cold ?????-_mg_0236.jpg   Koi Cold ?????-_mg_0239.jpg   Koi Cold ?????-_mg_0244.jpg  

Ray is correct about eliminating the possibility of parasites.

I've never been certain what is "a cold" and what is the beginning signs of Hikkui. The "cold" goes away. Hikkui gets worse. ...I worry a lot.

I believe what you see is "a bad cold", not Hikkui. My koi sometimes get a similar haze as temperatures go down. I understand it is caused by microbes attacking the mucus coat. I seem to recall that there is a particular protozoa that predominates in causing the condition, but do not recall which one. It is temporary. The fish recover with no damage. The pigment is not affected, just the slime coat. It is most visible on the red pigment, but I believe the condition will also be seen elsewhere if the angle of the lighting is just right. I have been told that a similar appearance can be caused by excessive mucus produced in reaction to parasites.

I do not know if use of salt would do any real good. I would not salt.

Just my rambling guesses for whatever they are worth.

I have a NKF Kohaku that had the same issue as the Kohaku in post#7 when I started things up about a month ago . Today she's perfectly fine .

Thanks, I have been advised to use salt, as a well known keeper locally had success with salt, in my case i have to add 200 kgs and would like to avoid this method if at all possible. it will take al long time to remove the salt again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast