Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Deck Stain

Tosai

Question Deck Stain

My house came with the pond already established and a wooden deck partially overhanging it. It desperately needs to be either stained or painted, but I'm paranoid about toxins leeching into the water after it's dry. Am I being overly worried or is there known brands of either stain or paint that would be safe to apply?

Daihonmei
    Hi Rob, I think it is common knowledge at this point that many disasters have occurred over the years due to wood and stain products- no question about it. But having said that, like a lot of these things Urban legend has become louder than reality in our koi culture.

If you use common sense, I'm sure you will be alright. Obviously when staining NOTHING should actually enter the pond water in way of dripping! One trick that I've seen used when decks are resurfaced is to paint the under side of the boards with a product like CIM. This keeps the moisture from damaging the wood and also seals the decking from leaching into the water. There still is the issue of rain however. But if your wood absorbs the stain it is unlikely to be released. Some folks have gone with the plastic composite 'woods' and if you can afford it, the very dense exotic woods are good ( they won't hold a stain well however as they are so dense).
    The concern over treated lumber is the one we usually hear bad things about. yet I know scores of keeper who have never had a problem. I also know of three hobbyists personally that wiped out their ponds with new treated wood planks.
    I personally have a deck and bridge over my pond and it is made with treated sub structure and clear cedar surface boards. The bridge is painted underneath with CIM and it is now 18 years old and in pretty good condition. I only worry when they powerwash and restain the deck ( I use a Sikkens stain that is a color coat and then a clear seal coat). Never had a problem.
    Hope this helps? JR

Tosai
    Thanks JR. I opted for the composite material. Looking forward to not having to deal with it again.