Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: blue crayfish for "filter feeders" in koi pond

Daihonmei

blue crayfish for "filter feeders" in koi pond

I tossed in about twenty 2-inch blue crayfish amongst the brushes i got from JR in October.
    I don't expect to see a change (Two Hundred 2ft. long brushes), but they will probably do some good.
    i tossed five of them into LakeLuke; All the koi became extremely interested in the area. From their interest I am sure thta if someone were to feed live crayfish to thier koi they koi would know exactly what to do with them from the very beginning.
    BTW Crayfish aren't "seafood."

Daihonmei
    These "20" were hatched a couple of months ago, I only put blue ones in the filter and the lake. The blue ones cost $18 each. I put some blue ones in the sump pit area and overflow area. I also have white ones. The white ones cost $25 each. I put them back in the small pond, and today there was a new crop of babies in the small pond as well.

Are blue crawdaddies bluer at noon or at 6 pm during the day from natural light or are they the same no matter what time of the day?

20 crayfish were hatched 2 months ago and in 3 more months they would be worth $265.00. How many were blue, how many were white and how many died?

Daihonmei
    the same color all day long

Meg
    going into a new line of work Luke?

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    going into a new line of work Luke?
    yeah dealing in antique books didn't work out

Daihonmei
    Oh i reread my first post and it may seem like I emphasized the monetary value..
    A fellow at work has a teenage daughter and she bought the two crayfish..a white one and a blue one...they had craw mommy and daddy interaction and had babies, which they ate. i told him if he just took some straws and cut them in two inch lengths and put a rubberbands around them he'd have a, crawbaby nursery. She did it and had so many they gave me some..she also resold them to the pet shop for 7 bucks of "trade" each.

I had a few of those for a while last summer. Very cool critters! I banded 4" long sections of PVC pipe together to make little apartments for the adults to hide out in. They (the adults) really need a safe place to hide when they mold their shells or the others (and the fish) will eat them up quick. I had one small one that was almost a lavender color. It was a gorgeous little thing. Their color seemed to be very stable.

I had mine in a 55 gallon tank. Ammonia spike caused by one being cannibalized did them in. I put ammonia neutralizer in there and within hours, they were all dead. I don't know if the ammonia killed them or the chemical I added, but the end result was the same.

Ever had an issue with the koi getting hurt by them? Mainly when they're swallowing the things? Curious to try them out in a pond, when I remember having them in tanks, and they tended to crawl out and wander. We found one two years later in a shoe.

Daihonmei
    It would be rare but not improbable for a koi to die from attempting to eat a living large crayfish....often a crayfish gets a "nip" in before it is consumed..but I've never seen a koi back downfrom a crayfish..not in the slightest