Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Q: What is the best koi food brand for Color & Growth?

Question Q: What is the best koi food brand for Color & Growth?

Since I am new at raising koi, I would like to know what your opinions are. What brand can improve kois' growth and color? Cool

You'll get a lot of opinions on this as there are MANY high quality feeds available in different places. The entire Hikari line of foods is highly respected, the EA line is relatively new as is Tomigai, but both are well liked by those who've reported results from them. No doubt you'll get other ideas from people who've used others.

What is important is to recognize the right feed and quantity for growth and health at each stage of life and for your conditions. What you feed and how much will change with temperature and water conditions.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

It seemingly is a simple enough question yet so much of what you ask depends on many other factors. Is the food fed in the right amount and at the right protein % for the temperature. Is the water quality and oxygen content at it's best to help with digestion.

I'm convinced that foods that have helpful bacteria for digestion (pro-biotics) added in the food help the Koi get the most out of what is fed and minimise the waste they produce that the Bio-Filter has to then deal with.

I'll let other exstol the virtues of different name brand foods......just remember no matter what you end up using, it's only as good as you keeping it sealed, out of the harmful UV rays and moisture. So many buy expensive food and let it set out pondside in the full sun, or inexplicably do not reseal the bag properly or do not use something like tupperware to preserve it's freshness.

Dick Benbow

My butterfly koi is about 5-6 in. Water temperature is about 77 degrees. What do you all recommend how many hikari pellets I feed per day?

As much as it will eat... but that is dependent on your water conditions. If your filtration is adequate you can easily feed 1.5-2.0 % of body weight in this temperature range. You just need to spread the feedings out over several times per day with the Koi eating as much as it wants within a few minutes. Koi of this size are hormonally wired for growth. Koi are naturally social so it will do better with a companion than alone.

[QUOTE=dick benbow;157424]It seemingly is a simple enough question yet so much of what you ask depends on many other factors. Is the food fed in the right amount and at the right protein % for the temperature. Is the water quality and oxygen content at it's best to help with digestion.

I'm convinced that foods that have helpful bacteria for digestion (pro-biotics) added in the food help the Koi get the most out of what is fed and minimise the waste they produce that the Bio-Filter has to then deal with.

I'll let other exstol the virtues of different name brand foods......just remember no matter what you end up using, it's only as good as you keeping it sealed, out of the harmful UV rays and moisture. So many buy expensive food and let it set out pondside in the full sun, or inexplicably do not reseal the bag properly or do not use something like tupperware to preserve it's freshness.

Excellent points. I would like to add that food starts to deterioate from date it is made even if it is stored under perfect conditions and the seal
    holds. However we see bags with a 2year expirey date. So I would suggest that all high protin food should be used within 6months of manufacture. Or wheat germ within a year if possible.
    Regards
    Eugene

Daihonmei
    you have so few fish ..your focus should be on acquiring a small amount and keeping the food fresh... food kept appropriately will be "good' for at least six months in your case.
    Store it in a closed container in the fridge, not the freezer.
    It is critical to feed the right amount

Wow I have a lot to learn. I will get my koi another friend or two. I wanted to make sure I get things right before I risk getting them hurt with diseases. I think I am ready to get some more friends for my koi now. How do you all keep your koi free from nasty bugs like ich and other forms of diseases? What level of pH do you prefer for Koi's? Do you recommend the 5-1 test strips or individual tests? Would like to hear from you all. Thanks a bunch.

Strips are ok for looking for major alarm bells, but lousy for detail.
    Nix that. They're WORTHLESS for detail

You'll want to get some liquid test kits rather than strips if you want to know what you really have. Before you move any further you need to tell us a bit more about your pond and filtration. Koi do better with company, but they need plenty of room to grow as well. Otherwise you are just asking for trouble.