Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Flow Meter Recommendations

Flow Meter Recommendations

I'm looking for some input anyone might offer regarding installing a flow meter. Specifically, I would like to track exact discharge amounts when changing water on my pond. I'm looking at installing said meter on the 2'' drainage pipe, and it would need to be able to register at least 100 gal. a minute (?). I believe I've seen someone on another thread mention a Neptune T-10 but they are a bit pricey at over $400. And I've also read about a DLJ from watermeters.com that might fit the bill. Anyone with thoughts on the subject? Much appreciated.

Calling Mr. Toohey. Please answer the white courtesy telephone

I bought two flow meters on Ebay for less than $20 each. They are bronze and have threads on both ends so they can be adapted for garden hose use. They measure in cubic feet, which is not a problem since cubic feet is easily converted to gallons.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgeorgia View Post
    I'm looking for some input anyone might offer regarding installing a flow meter. Specifically, I would like to track exact discharge amounts when changing water on my pond. I'm looking at installing said meter on the 2'' drainage pipe, and it would need to be able to register at least 100 gal. a minute (?). I believe I've seen someone on another thread mention a Neptune T-10 but they are a bit pricey at over $400. And I've also read about a DLJ from watermeters.com that might fit the bill. Anyone with thoughts on the subject? Much appreciated.
    I use 2" flow meters on my irrigation from Bermad, Inc. Expensive, but measure volume with an impeller and can be calibrated by changing gear sets. BUT... I don't think Bermad or similar valves will work on a discharge because the water is full of crud that would impede the impeller and all the large meters I have seen would need higher pressure than a discharge or drain would typically have.

Any reason why you need it on the discharge rather than measuring the water you are adding? On a smaller input pipe, your choices are numerous and much less expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Steve View Post
    I use 2" flow meters on my irrigation from Bermad, Inc. Expensive, but measure volume with an impeller and can be calibrated by changing gear sets. BUT... I don't think Bermad or similar valves will work on a discharge because the water is full of crud that would impede the impeller and all the large meters I have seen would need higher pressure than a discharge or drain would typically have.

Any reason why you need it on the discharge rather than measuring the water you are adding? On a smaller input pipe, your choices are numerous and much less expensive.
    You make a good point there, Farmer Steve, and my input for 'Mains' water is both smaller and, of course, cleaner. One DLJ model I saw did have a strainer basket that could pick up larger leaf frags, etc., but a meter for a 3/4" inflow line would be less expensive, and virtually no maintenance. Any recommended brands?

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgeorgia View Post
    You make a good point there, Farmer Steve, and my input for 'Mains' water is both smaller and, of course, cleaner. One DLJ model I saw did have a strainer basket that could pick up larger leaf frags, etc., but a meter for a 3/4" inflow line would be less expensive, and virtually no maintenance. Any recommended brands?
    Some of the ones mentioned on eBay should be OK. With cold water and reasonable pH, I wouldn't worry about brass construction.

I'm fortunate to have very consistent water pressure at 150 psi (twin 36" mains in front of the house), so I use a timed irrigation valve to control my pond input. It is controlled via house computer, so I just use a smart phone to tell it how many gallons to add. You could also use a regular irrigation timer and calculate how many minutes = desired gallonage. But with inconsistent incoming pressure, a real flow meter would be best.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flow Meter Recommendations-iphone-control.jpg  

MCA
    you might want to check out what aquaticeco has in their wishbook.

Meter Recommendations

Thank you all for your valuable input and suggestions. I also had a someone else with a lot of practical water meter experience advise me I may also run into accuracy issues if a paddle style meter is installed in a line with insufficient pipe length both above and below the meter to allow for equalization of water pressure.

Thank you all, once again.... good advise as always.