Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Mamoru Kodama's New Koi Book Koishi

Mamoru Kodama's New Koi Book Koishi

Has any of you got a glimpse of this book? If so then is it a must have? Curious to know the contents of this book. Looks like it is coming out in May.

KOISHI

Koishi is the name given to those that toil as breeders to make our Koi for us. So it is a commentary on who is who in Niigata. It will give you history and some information about the bloodlines used. Some of the photos in the book produced by the various breeders are then assessed by mr kodama as to thier strengths. The last time I talked with taro they were hopeful to have it ready to distribute with the AKCA event in nashville.
    Must have? How often have we seen a koi on line or in a dealer's and don't know anything about the breeder. Now you can look in the book and have some understanding of who this breeder is.
    Dick Benbow

I talked to Taro and a limited amount of the books will be available at AKCA for those that ordered ahead of time. ( bringing in masses of books to sell on speculation, all the way to the east coast can be expensive) But copies will be on hand that you can check out and then order.

My son bought me the first item on my Christmas list: Koishi. Instead of writing a party line pamphlet Mr. Kodama has chosen to capture the wonderfully contradictory thoughts and actions of the “Real Koi” farmers of Yamakoshi. Truly an amazing book! Liner ponds are bad? It is in the clay, or in the sand and gravel? Longfins are an anathema? Big fish are the goal? Koishi, the koi teacher teaches instead of tells. This book is about a lot more than Koi farms. Truly excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    My son bought me the first item on my Christmas list: Koishi. Instead of writing a party line pamphlet Mr. Kodama has chosen to capture the wonderfully contradictory thoughts and actions of the “Real Koi” farmers of Yamakoshi. Truly an amazing book! Liner ponds are bad? It is in the clay, or in the sand and gravel? Longfins are an anathema? Big fish are the goal? Koishi, the koi teacher teaches instead of tells. This book is about a lot more than Koi farms. Truly excellent!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Koishi. If you are interested in another koi book, may I recommend KOI 1 & KOI 2 by Harald Bachmann. KOI 1 deals with GO Sanke and KOI 2 with Kawari varieties. I only wish I had these two books when I started in koi some 14 years ago.