Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: testing testing...another thread started by Luke so no need to open it for some

Daihonmei

testing testing...another thread started by Luke so no need to open it for some

and that will be greatly appreciated.

here are three koi, what can you deduce about them.
    ( Beginning Hobbyists please note that the lines and numbers on the side of the blue bowl were put there by me as I have seen other intelligent members do it so that when they take photos the koi can be guesstimated as to their actual size more closely, and in a pinch the koi can be laid against the side to see if it is "close" to going over or being under a certain size for showing.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails testing testing...another thread started by Luke so no need to open it for some-img_6873.jpg   testing testing...another thread started by Luke so no need to open it for some-img_6878.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post

( Beginning Hobbyists please note that the lines and numbers on the side of the blue bowl were put there by me as I have seen other intelligent members do it so that when they take photos the koi can be guesstimated as to their actual size more closely, and in a pinch the koi can be laid against the side to see if it is "close" to going over or being under a certain size for showing.)

Who the heck you been watching bench fish in a circular bowl??? I have never seen that done by any knowledgable hobbiest, dealer, breeder, About the only thing a round bowl is good for is viewing, pics, placing into after catching... To get an accurate size measurement you need a measuring tub, which has only flat straight walls, oh and for those that don't know, you always butt the nose in the corner, hold up against side of (straight) wall. to get accurate measurments, I rencently seen some person take photo's of his koi and measure them with the tail against the wall in the corner....

Daihonmei
    nancy,

Where did I say i saw koi being benched in a bowl? I did not.
    So what side of a koi is a straight line?
    NONE OF EM.
    anytime a koi's tail is flattened against the side of the measuring box the body is distorted, therefore its length is distorted.
    No where did I post that the bowl is used for benching, but smaller koi can be held against a bowl with increments for measuring and a very close estimation can be reached as to its length.
    IF it is close to the size limit then it should be measured in a measuring box.

Now let's get back to the koi

I could care less about the bowl. The post is about the fish not the bowl anyways.

I would rather talk about the three fish you have pictured there. I am a noob and would like to know more about SKIN QUALITY, and CONFORMATION.

My first question is about the yellowing of the two fish's heads. is this acceptable, not acceptable, or just a fact of life with koi that have no color on their faces? Its a turn off to me, doesn't look right. Because of this I favor the koi with the hi on its face.

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by bighatbulls View Post

My first question is about the yellowing of the two fish's heads. is this acceptable, not acceptable, or just a fact of life with koi that have no color on their faces? Its a turn off to me, doesn't look right. Because of this I favor the koi with the hi on its face.
    I have wondered about this same thing. I am sure that it is not a health issue, but I have never liked that sort of translucent flesh-colored area on the top of some fish's heads -- I just don't find it attractive.

Is there a specific term used to describe this?

Honmei
    Bighat....Luke was the one who mentioned the round bowls to "guestimate" the size for showing. If you are going to guestimate the size for showing don't you think it should be done in the same manner as what a show benching team would do...as Nancy alluded to? I've benched more than a few koi and there's always someone who says that the koi measured differently when they did it and had they known that it was over a cutoff into a new size that they would not have brought him/her. My suggestion thius is to learn how to measure correctly and with the correct equipment if those comparisons are to be drawn

Paultergeist, the term used is "youth". The skin has not thickened on the head and the darkesh area is referred to as the skull cap. You are basically looking at the shadow of the brain so to speak.
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post
    ...If you are going to guestimate the size for showing don't you think it should be done in the same manner as what a show benching team would do...
    Can we drop the bowl thing? Yes, a benching team would use different equipment. However some people are limited to what is on hand. There has allready been one post that has been ruined over this pettyness. I would rather talk koi.

So then the koi will grow out of the yellow cap, how long would this take a year or more?

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by bighatbulls View Post
    Can we drop the bowl thing? Yes, a benching team would use different equipment. However some people are limited to what is on hand. There has allready been one post that has been ruined over this pettyness. I would rather talk koi.

So then the koi will grow out of the yellow cap, how long would this take a year or more?

Pettiness? Well excuse me there bighat. I only responded to the original post and his misleading assumption(s) in measuring and equipment. I leave the answer for your question(s) to he who started the thread and hope that you (and others) are not misled further in this or other areas.
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Throw me a bone here Luke.
    I'm assuming we're looking at a Kumonryu, Kikusui, and Wagoi Kohaku, but I can't see scale definition well enough to be certain.

As Steve already mentioned, yellow heads on young Koi are not a surprise and neither is the dark shadow on the skull. Immature skin and the brain pan showing through the thin skull and skin are responsible for that.

I can't really tell much from the pics.
    The skin on the Kumonryu appears to have a better sheen, followed by the small Kohaku. The larger Kikusui seems to have rather flat skin although the beni quality is nice at this stage. It's just hard to guess how well is will do over time. The small Kohaku seems to have some kiwa blur and a light area at the front of the dorsal, but it is small and the photo angle/glare may be messing with my perceptions.
    That of course is based on the these pics and what I'm seeing may be an exposure issue rather than reality.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

[QUOTE=luke frisbee;158143]and that will be greatly appreciated.

( Beginning Hobbyists please note that the lines and numbers on the side of the blue bowl were put there by me as I have seen other intelligent members do it so that when they take photos the koi can be guesstimated as to their actual size more closely, and in a pinch the koi can be laid against the side to see if it is "close" to going over or being under a certain size for showing.)[/QUOTE]

nancy,

Where did I say i saw koi being benched in a bowl? I did not.
    So what side of a koi is a straight line?
    NONE OF EM.
    anytime a koi's tail is flattened against the side of the measuring box the body is distorted, therefore its length is distorted.
    No where did I post that the bowl is used for benching, but smaller koi can be held against a bowl with increments for measuring and a very close estimation can be reached as to its length.
    IF it is close to the size limit then it should be measured in a measuring box.

Now let's get back to the koi
    Luke, with all your vast knowledge, I would think that you would know that whenn I refered to Benching it would mean measuring since that is exactly what we are doing when we bench fish, I have done this a few times, so I may have a little more knowledge on this than you. I wonder how many people are measured laying down, I am sure that we would add an inch or two once we stood up, and were measured correctly.

[QUOTE=bighatbulls;158159]Can we drop the bowl thing? Yes, a benching team would use different equipment. However some people are limited to what is on hand. There has allready been one post that has been ruined over this pettyness. I would rather talk koi.

( Beginning Hobbyists please note that the lines and numbers on the side of the blue bowl were put there by me as I have seen other intelligent members do it so that when they take photos the koi can be guesstimated as to their actual size more closely, and in a pinch the koi can be laid against the side to see if it is "close" to going over or being under a certain size for showing.)[/QUOTE]

Since the thread is not titled what do you think of these fish, it was another jab at people who do know more than Luke. and 1 sentence was only mentioned about the fish, please don't tell me or anyone else that we are petty.. As you yourself have said you are a newby, you should know that what was stated as a paragraph is false information, I only answered an corrected Luke, so you as a newby might learn something.

As for the koi yes it will outgrow, yellow head unless it is a male then the game changes.

bighatbullsI could care less about the bowl. The post is about the fish not the bowl anyways.

I would rather talk about the three fish you have pictured there. I am a noob and would like to know more about SKIN QUALITY, and CONFORMATION.

My first question is about the yellowing of the two fish's heads. is this acceptable, not acceptable, or just a fact of life with koi that have no color on their faces? Its a turn off to me, doesn't look right. Because of this I favor the koi with

You can NOT judge from a picture, "Besides, the photos are jpeg and not RAW. " quality you need to see real quality to understand the difference, also these fish are doitsu, and are way to small (at least by the picture quality, I am guessing them to be tosai. So confirmation does not even come into play, with these fish.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast