Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: All females, impacted eggs?

Fry

Question All females, impacted eggs?

I wanted all females so I sold all of the males from my personal pond a few days before all of my koi would have spawned. In retrospect I should have moved all my koi to a QT Tank let them spawn then sold the males. I Also learned later that if you have females you wait longer to start feeding them coming out of winter so they can absorb the eggs. Is that correct?

So anyway am I at a pretty serious risk of the females getting impacted eggs or do they almost always absorb them with no problem?

I have been feeding them twice a day with a multi-season food at a water temp of about 65 for several weeks.

Would it be smart to stop feeding them? What signs do I look for to see if the eggs are impacted? Thanks

I think you are worrying too much. If your fish are not egg-heavy now, do not be so concerned. I do not read or hear much about egg-bound females in climate areas where they receive a long winter fast.

Daihonmei
    Soragoi, if you look over this website we have covered the term 'Impacted eggs' vs simply gravid females quite extensively. I'm not sure if you are just using the wrong term or if you are worried that without the presence of males you fish will develop a dysfunctional type disease? If the latter is true then don't worry. Impaction is usually a mechanical dysfunction or an illness/infection and has little to do with male presence. If your concern is that females with remain gravid too long without breeding/ egg release then look to diet and seasonal fasting as a remedy for that concern. You will find that among individual females that some simply produce more eggs, some reabsorb faster than others and some carry eggs 'high' in the body line and others, 'shockingly low'. So low that it looks painful!
    In all cases, diet and seasonal change along with even modest fasting should do the trick in keeing females plump without that very distortion of massive egg masses.
    In the case of impaction, this can often be a death sentence as it can reveal ovarian tumors or cysts or infections. The second stage can often be drpsy symptoms as the tumor or decaying egg mass effects the entire metabolic system. Hope this helped. JR

Fry
    Ok thanks. I thought that was the case. Last year I just noticed how much girth the females lost after the spawn. And they definitely haven't lost any yet. It sounds normal though so no problem.
    I'm feeding Hai Feng Quick Grow which is actually predominantly wheat germ in spite of the name. Would it be good to fast them for a couple weeks with temps at 66, or continue feeding? I plan on switching to Saki Hikari Growth and dried silkworm pupae when it gets warmer. Thanks

Daihonmei
    Sounds like a good diet and also a good feeding technique. Do you have a photo of the 'girls'? JR