Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: ERIC OWNERS and only the OWNERS

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Suzy
    surely that ERIC, which you said has been delivered, is instaled and running by now? could we have an up date? and hopefully pictures? truthfully those animations on the web site don't do a thing for me, sorry.

thanks
    Hi, Meg

Yes, my ERIC was delivered last week and is sitting in my garage for the moment. I was able to get a great price on delivery costs, as other units were being delivered to Spain in the same truck.

As it is, my workload 'til the end of June is too heavy to allow me to start the massive improvements( bottom drain, some digging to house the filter at pond level, getting the Koi installed in a makeshift pond for the duration
    of it all, etc. I guess that everyone has said at one time "If only I had done it right the first time!" And I am a prime example of this.

I promise that I will give full reports on the installation and the future performance of ERIC, with photos, as soon as things begin.

Best....Suzy

Daihonmei
    should I finish this survey of biofiltration methods or should I call it a day? JR

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Just curious, what is the difference between "J mat" and "Matala"?

I am assuming that "J mat" is Japanese matting.
    Good morning, sorry I missed this the other day Ric,

Jmat was a product made in Japan for many pruposes-- airconditioning filters, mats to hold back stones from falling onto the highway etc. The company went out of business but a few empolyees bought the business and began making the material for koi filters.

Matala is a competitor of Jmat and came much later, after Jmat had established it reputation. It is also an Asian company but not Japanese.
    matala makes several colors which designates the pore size- this at first seems interesting but the truth is, some sizes/colors are useless in koi filtration ( maybe as mechanical but not biological). The white mat is , in my opinion, down right dangerous as it will trap way too much organic. And the Green is just useless as the pours are too big. But the blue is the 'goldilocks' mat in that the pores are just right for biological filtration and that one I can get behind as a cheaper substitute for Jmat. In the end, I'd go with either but still favor Jmat for 'comfort' reasons ( I've 25 years experience with it and it's hard to change!)
    Hope that covers it? Best, the man from UNCLE

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Good morning, sorry I missed this the other day Ric,

Jmat was a product made in Japan for many pruposes-- airconditioning filters, mats to hold back stones from falling onto the highway etc. The company went out of business but a few empolyees bought the business and began making the material for koi filters.

Matala is a competitor of Jmat and came much later, after Jmat had established it reputation. It is also an Asian company but not Japanese.
    matala makes several colors which designates the pore size- this at first seems interesting but the truth is, some sizes/colors are useless in koi filtration ( maybe as mechanical but not biological). The white mat is , in my opinion, down right dangerous as it will trap way too much organic. And the Green is just useless as the pours are too big. But the blue is the 'goldilocks' mat in that the pores are just right for biological filtration and that one I can get behind as a cheaper substitute for Jmat. In the end, I'd go with either but still favor Jmat for 'comfort' reasons ( I've 25 years experience with it and it's hard to change!)
    Hope that covers it? Best, the man from UNCLE
    Thanks for for the information on "mat".
    I guess I was familiar with Matala.
    I have a full sheet of blue matting in my garage I bought years ago, and have not used, that may be J mat and not Matala.
    Thanks for the information on Matala "colors". I am interested in people's opinion on which Matala color is appropriate.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    My reference to "Peters" site is to "Peters" site, which has been on, off, and on again since long before Nov. of '09 Just because you were late to the party doesn't mean the rest of the world didn't start without you
    My choice of attire for the day is mine alone, and I have not chosen one that accommodates the bluish flesh tone that would accompany the long wait that holding my breath awaiting intelligence from Andy would require. I hardly think him worth making a "new" fashion statement. You see, it isn't that "my shirt" doesn't accommodate knowledge as it looks quite good on me. I simply can't find a way to make it look good on "ignorance", which Andy seems to be wearing on his sleeve.
    "Peter's" sites are koikichi and ericpondfilters. On the former, there were references concerning ERIC, but just the concrete version and GRP models
    of ready-made versions that never saw the light of day.

The expense of building the concrete unit is three times the cost of the ERIC
    ready-made filter which was launched on the ericpondfilter site last november and which is now being purchased worldwide, much to the dismay of some.

And it isn't the box that counts, although it looks as though it could resist an
    earthquake or two! As is the case with people...it's what's inside that matters.(Food for thought for all of us, yes?)

How much does it cost to buy the media for a Nexus, for instance?
    And how much does one pay for the "box"?

I may have come late to the party, but I don't regret it. Much more interesting when plenty of people have aready arrived.

I've been wearing my Shtroumpf T-shirt today( French for Smurf, of course.)
    Just for cleaning my present crappy filter while awaiting the installation of ERIC.

Pandora's Box

Saw the diagram of three bottom drains feeding one box. Three four inch bottom drains gravity feeding the 'box'. The one closest supplies 90% of the water, the next supplies 10% and the one furthest away supplies 0%. Who is the engineer behind this math?
    That's it for me. Total nonsense. No need to go any further. The 'box' is nothing more than a outdoor wet dry filtration system. Works on the same gravity feed method.

Daihonmei
    The pond was built in the 1970s. JR

Quote Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
    "Peter's" sites are koikichi and ericpondfilters. On the former, there were references concerning ERIC, but just the concrete version and GRP models
    of ready-made versions that never saw the light of day.

The expense of building the concrete unit is three times the cost of the ERIC
    ready-made filter which was launched on the ericpondfilter site last november and which is now being purchased worldwide, much to the dismay of some.

And it isn't the box that counts, although it looks as though it could resist an
    earthquake or two! As is the case with people...it's what's inside that matters.(Food for thought for all of us, yes?)

How much does it cost to buy the media for a Nexus, for instance?
    And how much does one pay for the "box"?

I may have come late to the party, but I don't regret it. Much more interesting when plenty of people have aready arrived.

I've been wearing my Shtroumpf T-shirt today( French for Smurf, of course.)
    Just for cleaning my present crappy filter while awaiting the installation of ERIC.
    Yes dear. I know they are two different sites. I found the latter by virtue of the former last year. I didn't need you to encourage me to look at the latter AGAIN because I saw it long ago... Looked again today just in case something "new" and "revolutionary" had been added. Looked just the same as the last time. I went. "Latest News" last updated 1-5-2010 so there was nothing "new" and "revolutionary" to see. It is a nicely packaged raceway filter. Looks an awful lot like a bunch of other nicely packaged ready made raceway filter box's I've seen elsewhere. (The last one I looked at was "green" though, and I'm sure that makes a HUGE difference in performance
    Bet you make a purtier smurf than I would
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Meg
    thank you KK I had seen that too

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    the link posted had an example that has me wondering.... it is a bottom drain to pump question.
    I can see why having each drain it's own pump and filter would be the best way to go, but just looking at the dynamics of BD to pump part of the set up are these numbers accurate? NOTHING comes from the furthest drain? regardless of pump strength or diamiter of plumbing?

" In actual running, the drain nearest the filter supplies over 90% of the water, the middle one supplies 10% and the one on the left supplies nothing. Only the pond base on the nearest drain is being serviced correctly which results in an expensive failure. "

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Yes dear. I know they are two different sites. I found the latter by virtue of the former last year. I didn't need you to encourage me to look at the latter AGAIN because I saw it long ago... Looked again today just in case something "new" and "revolutionary" had been added. Looked just the same as the last time. I went. "Latest News" last updated 1-5-2010 so there was nothing "new" and "revolutionary" to see. It is a nicely packaged raceway filter. Looks an awful lot like a bunch of other nicely packaged ready made raceway filter box's I've seen elsewhere. (The last one I looked at was "green" though, and I'm sure that makes a HUGE difference in performance
    Bet you make a purtier smurf than I would
    Oh, but there IS a recent update on the ericpondfilter site.Just click on the "NEW" article (in RED, not BLUE)

ERIC may "look" like your cherished "raceway" filter, but in no way does it
    have anything to do with this last. Read a bit more. Get into what's inside.
    Not ladies' plastic hair curlers, that's for sure.

I can disguise as a "Smurf" when I wish. Did that yesterday. But 'tis only a disguise.

I am not "dear" to you, nor are you to me. So let's get this discussion back on kilter right now.

The ERIC filter is doomed to success whether you or others like it or not.
    So just accept it as a plus for the great hobby that we all love.

Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast