Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast

Thread: ERIC OWNERS and only the OWNERS

Banned

We're almost finished!

This past week has been a very busy one! Matt Cameron has been here and the pond and filter system is all installed. Joussef is finishing the render today and Matt will be back in a couple of weeks once the cement has dried for fiber-glassing.

I'm so thrilled...ERIC is ready to go to work!! It's so exciting to have a real pond and a real filtration system.

Pics will follow, courtesy of Andydon.

Best to all,

Suzy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kingkong View Post
    Some interesting stuff related and beyond .
    Check out garden pond in Penn. A little too much for me but imaginative. Looks like koi could get lost.

Jagged Moss - Pond & Japanese Garden Builder
    Just read the first page of the link regarding Freddie Mercury - it's funny and reads good but it's pure nonsense.

I was called down to a secret location in London to provide a filtration system for a pond and was met on the outskirts by the Japanese landscaper who had built the garden and the 'pond' - I had to follow him in.
    I was paid in advance on my insistence.

The garden was magnificent, the pond was 3 feet wide x 3 feet deep and 60 feet long made from a liner with not a single bottom drain.

I told him it was an impossibility. He said he'd find another company as the owner would keep Koi in his pond.

As I was leaving a small guy came out of the house and said 'You doing the filter mate?' - it was FM. I urged him not to keep Koi in that disaster and left.

Then all the disasters that could happen to the Koi did happen before he died.

He left the house and Koi to a lady friend telling her they were worth fortunes.

Some years later she hired an electrical contractor to put new garden lighting in and the Koi were taken out into temporary ponds whilst it was done.

A short occurred that killed all the Koi and she sued the electrical contractors for an undisclosed sum.

The solicitor for the contractors called me down to give a valuation. I photographed/measured over 40 dead Koi between 18" to 26" and listed them down for individual valuation.

I totaled them all and came up with just short of £2,000.00 - $3,000.00.

There was no Koi there that had ever seen Japan!

The case was dropped.

Which cements the statement that we should not believe everything we read!!!

Waddy.

Suzy,
    I can almost hear you giggle like a school girl in anticipation of her first date
    That's not an insult by the way. Just a sense of the excitement you must be feeling

While we await the pictures I'm wondering about the timing of all this. Even though we are still enjoying warm days our autumn chill is beginning to put a bite in our night air. In my area a pond completion in the time frame you are anticipating would come along just in time to slow and soon stop feeding due to water temperatures dropping toward 50F.

What are your winter temperatures like and how soon do things cool down for you? Are you able to feed heavily in their temporary home to fatten them up for a cold water fasting period? Will eric have enough running time before winters chill sets in to become well established biologically?

Just curious as these are always considerations we have to take into account.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Nisai
    Pics from suzy's pond build.

Cheers

Andy

ERIC OWNERS and only the OWNERS-s5020384.jpg

ERIC OWNERS and only the OWNERS-s5020388.jpg

ERIC OWNERS and only the OWNERS-s5020396.jpg

ERIC OWNERS and only the OWNERS-s5020398.jpg

ERIC OWNERS and only the OWNERS-s5020391.jpg

ERIC OWNERS and only the OWNERS-s5020399.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    Just read the first page of the link regarding Freddie Mercury - it's funny and reads good but it's pure nonsense.

I was called down to a secret location in London to provide a filtration system for a pond and was met on the outskirts by the Japanese landscaper who had built the garden and the 'pond' - I had to follow him in.
    I was paid in advance on my insistence.

The garden was magnificent, the pond was 3 feet wide x 3 feet deep and 60 feet long made from a liner with not a single bottom drain.

I told him it was an impossibility. He said he'd find another company as the owner would keep Koi in his pond.

As I was leaving a small guy came out of the house and said 'You doing the filter mate?' - it was FM. I urged him not to keep Koi in that disaster and left.

Then all the disasters that could happen to the Koi did happen before he died.

He left the house and Koi to a lady friend telling her they were worth fortunes.

Some years later she hired an electrical contractor to put new garden lighting in and the Koi were taken out into temporary ponds whilst it was done.

A short occurred that killed all the Koi and she sued the electrical contractors for an undisclosed sum.

The solicitor for the contractors called me down to give a valuation. I photographed/measured over 40 dead Koi between 18" to 26" and listed them down for individual valuation.

I totaled them all and came up with just short of £2,000.00 - $3,000.00.

There was no Koi there that had ever seen Japan!

The case was dropped.

Which cements the statement that we should not believe everything we read!!!

Waddy.
    Thanks for the input on this one Waddy. Your version sounds more realistic to me. The only reason I say that is you don't see many first pond owners wanting to spend for imported koi...something that takes time to appreciate the need I guess. A pond with no BD is like a day with no sunshine.

It looks to be coming along nicely. Thanks for posting the pictures up for her Andy (but you really should be a sport and show her how to do it herself) I was anticipating that eric would be a gravity fed, in-ground installation and I'm happy to see that confirmed. That always helps to maintain greater temperature stability and prolong the growing season a bit longer

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Suzy,
    I can almost hear you giggle like a school girl in anticipation of her first date
    That's not an insult by the way. Just a sense of the excitement you must be feeling

While we await the pictures I'm wondering about the timing of all this. Even though we are still enjoying warm days our autumn chill is beginning to put a bite in our night air. In my area a pond completion in the time frame you are anticipating would come along just in time to slow and soon stop feeding due to water temperatures dropping toward 50F.

What are your winter temperatures like and how soon do things cool down for you? Are you able to feed heavily in their temporary home to fatten them up for a cold water fasting period? Will eric have enough running time before winters chill sets in to become well established biologically?

Just curious as these are always considerations we have to take into account.
    Hi, Larry,

Yes, you're right! I'm so excited about all this that I'm "as corny as Kansas in August." As such, the beasties have been able to enjoy a regular summer feed schedule, as the plastic pool is a big 5000g thingy and I do 25% water changes every 2 days. They've even grown since being in there; of course, there are only 6 of them, 4 are between 6O and 70 cm, the other 2 are nisai about 30 cm.

Temps are still high here and should be so until late November, as is the case each year. ERIC doesn't take very long for biomass to feel at home from what I've heard from those who have this system in their ponds.

My swimming pool was sold with special A.F.C. (Anti- Fish Crap) and
    G.F.Q. (Get Fat Quick) equipment.

That's the secret!

Best to Contrabasso, thanks for your interest and your kind remarks.

Suzy

Nisai
    True Papabear, one day I'll send Suzy some instructions.

If she lived in the UK i would've probably gone to see her by now and shown her, but South France is a bit of a distance! and they all speak some odd language... and eat weird food.

Cheers

Andy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Andydon View Post
    True Papabear, one day I'll send Suzy some instructions.

If she lived in the UK i would've probably gone to see her by now and shown her, but South France is a bit of a distance! and they all speak some odd language... and eat weird food.

Cheers

Andy
    Hey, thanks Andy...not only do we speak a weird language and eat unspeakable stuff like frogs 'n snails (should keep these last for the Koi, I suppose?) but Suzy is a ...blonde, and we all know how dumb they are!!
    When all else fails, call a good friend....that's Andy!

Waddy, I was flabbergasted about a 3' x 3' x 60' pond holding 40 koi. Isn't that about 4,000 gallons?

I can't wait for a video, Suzy. I'm anxious to see the ERIC at work and am very curious about it, particularly about how well the matting gets washed during discharge.

Congratulations on your new pond!

Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast