Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: ERIC OWNERS and only the OWNERS

Quote Originally Posted by gspotmc View Post
    Hi Larry,
    How are you doing? I'm kinda busy with my game fowls right now. Don't have much time as I use to. Might be headed your way before temperatures starts going up.
    Michael
    Life does get busy doesn't it. Today I'm going to help my daughter get their new home ready to move in to, scrambling with a few other hot irons in the fire, and trying to figure out how to keep all of this juggling act in the air somehow
    I hated that we missed you last year when you were out our way so hopefully this time around we'll have better luck. Who would have ever thought that you'd be here and I'd be in Cali. at the same time...

Daihonmei
    Hi Michael, long time no see---- JR

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    I think you misunderstand me Barb? I'm asking if the designer/manufacturer is using this chamber box on his personal pond or is he using the large vortex design? Now you KNOW I know that answer-- But after this post I can almost hear the sawsall being put into action to cover the tracks and hide the evidence.
    Hi JasPR

He's got nothing to hide, he's still got his Vortex's, but his pond has been shutdown since December 09, since he was looking after some 15 Koi for a customer. Since then, things have gotten busy with the 'chamber box' and has diverted his attention away from his own pond in order to get everyone elses delivered and on-time, he's certainly kept the guys who make them really busy - which I think even you can appreciate at the moment it's been tough times!.

He's also been to Denmark and Malaysia during this period as well and he is getting ready for the BKKS show this year and has 'x' amount of events to see to. So it's full steam ahead so to speak!

So, 'his' pond is the least of his priority at the moment, I keep threatening to put a Pike in his pond if he doesn't sort it!

Apparently, the 12 vortex units that are still there have been sold and will be collected as soon as the ERIC units can be installed.

Cheers

Andy

p.s., I think I am ok to post in here since I will be a ERIC Owner/User, so sorry Luke if you feel I've taken it off-track.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    The ERIC is his "new" filter design that he is selling.
    It is based pretty much on an "old" filter design which is basically a low head, multiple chamber, long throw filter. You won't find ERIC in Koi Kichi (one of his older books) as it is a new acronym for the long throw design.
    ERIC = "Endless River In Concrete"
    From what I have read, this is incorrect. The early versions of the system now known as ERIC were mentioned in "Koi 2 Kichi" ,in "Koi Crazy" ( the first two books I bought from the author) and in "Koi Kichi". (I was able to get a used copy on Amazon....a fortune, but well worth it!)

"The Koi Pond", latest work of the author, is the first to mention ERIC.

As to ERIC being a "re-hash" of an old idea, what's sitting in my garage right now makes this seem ridiculous. My pond guys came over the day that my filter was delivered. After an hour of looking, touching the ERICmat media, examining the construction of the filter, they said to me "Putain de merde,
    quelle merveille." They have since contacted the manufacturer to try to obtain rights of distribution in France.

Having learned of ERIC only six months ago, I was able to see the filter in Denmark during a lecture-symposium, where I had to get in line to have a close look at it.

No one in the UK has actually seen ERIC, aside from those who have ordered, recieved and installed it. It's been said that the first ones will be seen at a UK show in late June.

At any rate, I will keep you informed of the performance of ERIC as soon as it's running in my pond.

Time will tell!

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Andydon View Post
    Hi JasPR

He's got nothing to hide, he's still got his Vortex's, but his pond has been shutdown since December 09, since he was looking after some 15 Koi for a customer. Since then, things have gotten busy with the 'chamber box' and has diverted his attention away from his own pond in order to get everyone elses delivered and on-time, he's certainly kept the guys who make them really busy - which I think even you can appreciate at the moment it's been tough times!.

He's also been to Denmark and Malaysia during this period as well and he is getting ready for the BKKS show this year and has 'x' amount of events to see to. So it's full steam ahead so to speak!

So, 'his' pond is the least of his priority at the moment, I keep threatening to put a Pike in his pond if he doesn't sort it!

Apparently, the 12 vortex units that are still there have been sold and will be collected as soon as the ERIC units can be installed.

Cheers

Andy

p.s., I think I am ok to post in here since I will be a ERIC Owner/User, so sorry Luke if you feel I've taken it off-track.
    '

Ahah. I see. I think I will assure that the new/old design gets reinstalled after my comments -- so you are welcome young backer! Best of Luck, JR

Quote Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
    <snip>

As to ERIC being a "re-hash" of an old idea, what's sitting in my garage right now makes this seem ridiculous. My pond guys came over the day that my filter was delivered. After an hour of looking, touching the ERICmat media, examining the construction of the filter, they said to me "Putain de merde, quelle merveille." They have since contacted the manufacturer to try to obtain rights of distribution in France.

Having learned of ERIC only six months ago, I was able to see the filter in Denmark during a lecture-symposium, where I had to get in line to have a close look at it.

<snip>
    In the original "Koi Kichi" book published in 1995, in the section on "Filter Systems", pages 62-73, Peter's filters all have "new" (back then) 'Japanese Filter Mat'. The Japanese filter mat is cut and installed so that there are open 'channels' in the direction the water flows. 15 years ago this was very controversial because "channeling" was considered bad and something to avoid in filter media.

On ERIC - THE ENDLESS RIVER - Why ERIC
    Peter says; "I came up with the very early and very basic principles of today’s ERIC river systems in early 1986 after first realising the biological performance possibilities of using cartridges tailored from these same Japanese filter mat sheets and simply turning them on end to greet a horizontal flow of incoming water held tightly within a narrow and shallow channel. I first put these units on sale in late 1986."
    "It was not until 1995 before I gave a few important pages in ‘Koi Kichi’ to this horizontal-flow method (a part of the book which few actually read) and again covered it in a smaller way when I released ‘Koi2Kichi’ in 2004. Even in those early days I considered horizontal-flow to be a simple yet superb way of providing perfect filtration to a fishpond."

MCA
    I suggest everyone who reads this thread also view the 10 Living Jewels video series from the UK.....or at least the "best of" video from that series. You will be amazed at how many long-throw multichamber filter systems you will see on those pond from over 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    I suggest everyone who reads this thread also view the 10 Living Jewels video series from the UK.....or at least the "best of" video from that series. You will be amazed at how many long-throw multichamber filter systems you will see on those pond from over 15 years ago.
    ... and how do we view the "best of" video from the "10 Living Jewels"?

GOT SOURCE?

:-)

-Richard

Nisai
    Hi MCA

Multi-chamber filters usually have upwards and downwards compartments and 'multi' boxes contained in a bigger box....

I fail to see how ERIC is like this!!!!

Its just a single box - with horizontal flow!

Cheers

Andy

Daihonmei
    Actually Andy, that is not true. If you were around in the hobby in the 1980s you would have seen the Japanese raceway design was open all the way thru and the different media was simple put in areas of the raceway. In Taiwan entire raceways are filled with just brushes as a variation of the old chamber systems.
    Then slowly the design changed into compartments- some were simple ports thru the mid-center of dividing wallls and other designs were up/down walls with openings at the base followed by opening at the top on the next wall. In all cases it is the media that ultimately organizes direct of the flow within the raceway or the individual chamber. One of the obsessive details that evolved during this time ( filter design in general tends to micro manage details of the filtering action during points of time in the history of the hobby. Case in point- up flow vs down flow, oxygen requirements, drains etc) was a manic focus on "re-oxygenization" of water. The idea being that water had to be replenished oxygen lost from the sections of media that 'used it up'. This, in modern day terms is an example of design losing perspective as oxygen requirements are within the biofilm itself and two) the only real way oxygen enters water is from the water skin surface layer. In modern terms, oxygen is best introduce via spray bars and the roiling of the water surface. Adding spray bars and air wands on key points truly modernizes the old raceway system designs. But I digress------
    I'll post the first Inflitration unit in a bit that was a chamber system imported in the 1980s. It was crude but better than the water garden units available then. based on aquarium designs of power outside filtration it separated out prefiltration and biological filtration. And like the power outside filter, the water would jump walls from section to section-- glass wool to media to a bag of carbon.
    You should know that the current design was ridiculed by the designer in 1990 due to the corners and the square shape as an organic 'encourager' and therefore a source for disease and decay ( and oxygen killer). The vortex design was rolled out to replace ALL rectangular and square chamber designs and aeromonas causing, oxygen depleting in existance. The marketing of this myopic focus won the day and so many of the concrete chambers ( up/down/sideways) were torn out in favor of the cylinder containers.
    So now we seem to be re-introducing the old 'out of favor' rectangles ( I never believed the first villification of chamber system to begin with and kept mine) and villifying the vortex design to the new generation of wide eyed newbies! What can I say?
    Something you need to know about Japanese mat, Andy. Jmat, as it was called in the 1980s, was an air conditioning material made in Japan. That company went out of business and a few empolyees continued on to make it for other applications ( road work material and filters). It's value in koi ponds as a media for bacteria is specifically due to the fact that it slows water into different channels and causes eddys to form along it's inner surface. This is an ideal place , not only for bacteria to grow but also for more ACTIVE transport of ammonia onto/into the biofilm itself. It's negative is that it also is an organic collector and tends to surpress biofilm shedding over time ( THIS is where the oxygen gets 'used up'). So the media does need a bit of help depending on design and flow to 'self clean'.
    Moving plastic media, on the other hand, tends to not trap and shed it's biofilm excess easily. There is a thing called media sheering however that can actually damage biofilm mechanically as media bits rub against one another in movement. Small problem, but a knock on fluided bed media. In truth there is so much space on the media that it is unlikely that all areas will have growth ( growth is limited by the amount of ammonia produced).

Just some thoughts to bring you up to speed-- JR

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast