Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: ERIC OWNERS and only the OWNERS

MCA
    ... and how do we view the "best of" video from the "10 Living Jewels"?

GOT SOURCE?

check with Mystic Koi if they still carry the New Vision videos. There are the 10 Living Jewels plus a "best of". There was also a newer series called the "Koi Keepers" which lasted for 5 volumes. Then there are several one offs about pond construction, koi varities (using video shot at All Japan Show), trips to Niigata, and "How the East was Won" which is about Mark and Martin won the All Japan Show a few years back.

Daihonmei
    I recommend it, it's really an excellent series. JR

Daihonmei
    Sorry, two cups this morning so I'm extra chatty---

I did want to make one point to the intermediate hobbyist making his/her second pond. By now you know filtration and probably are building a second pond to correct the errors in the first pond , right?
    Well, I'm NOT anti-store bought-- honest! I'm not.

But if you are handy or have a source that is, THERE IS NO STORE BOUGHT FILTER THAT CAN COMPETE WITH A HOME MADE FILTER of proper size and design. This is because a manufacturer must compromise on things due to costs and shipping considerations.
    The very best filters tend to made on site from concrete and other building materials. The main advantage is size and custom details.
    In the case of chamber designs, you can surround the entire pond if you like ( like Momotaro did) or you can make it remote to the pond with clean outs in the piping. You can design your own drains and pulse system. You can round the inside corners and bowl shape the bottom of every chamber section. You can add in spray bars to rain water down onto the mat . You can build in overflows. You can add auto fill floats to the primary vortex.
    You can build in a blower system or an aeration grid to the chamber base. You can add in a false floor over the drains. You can have an attachment with a quick hose connect that goes to the floor thru the media that rinses the floor when you open the drain.
    There are a million things to do to improve a home made design that a manufacturers unit just can't do.
    I think it would be a great idea if each of the eight ZNA chapters entered a contest for instance, in which the chapter members submitted their ideal home made filter system to the ZNA president's board meeting and the Best filter design in the country was selected at that time. Honorable mention for second and third. Maybe published in Nichirin ( with photos of the design winners) and in our AKCA National association magazine- KOI USA.
    What do you think? JR

Nisai
    Hi JasPR,

Two things

1) Can we possibly do this in another thread, we've de-railed Lukes thread yet again - it's not fair.

2) Can we keep it as civil as you and I and others can possibly be, without it getting personal, no tempers, no arguments.

Cheers

Andy

Daihonmei
    Hi Andy, well Luke, as I understand it is 'no longer with us' . So I respected his wishes when he was here. He was just baiting you two anyway so that ship has kinda sailed when he took a knee for a while ( I'm sure I have his blessing as I know where is was going with this thread) --

And sure! But I'm always 'civilized'. What I'm not, is blindly compliant and I think that's what your suggesting I be? If you knew me, you'd not ask nor expect me to be complient or heaven forbid, complacent. Let's see how it goes. I have a lot to offer in terms of bringing Big Picture understanding to the subject of biofiltration beyond the usual marketing nonsense. I promise you that much , Andrew-- JR

ERIC <off topic>

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    <snip>
    THERE IS NO STORE BOUGHT FILTER THAT CAN COMPETE WITH A HOME MADE FILTER of proper size and design. This is because a manufacturer must compromise on things due to costs and shipping considerations.
    <snip>
    I agree with the "home-made" filter part, but why do we still see so many filters made on site from concrete and other building materials built by professional pond builders with energy inefficient swimming pool pumps? I assume it is because swimming pool pumps are cheaper than energy efficient WAVE and Sequence pumps.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Hi Andy, well Luke, as I understand it is 'no longer with us' . So I respected his wishes when he was here. He was just baiting you two anyway so that ship has kinda sailed when he took a knee for a while ( I'm sure I have his blessing as I know where is was going with this thread) --

And sure! But I'm always 'civilized'. What I'm not, is blindly compliant and I think that's what your suggesting I be? If you knew me, you'd not ask nor expect me to be complient or heaven forbid, complacent. Let's see how it goes. I have a lot to offer in terms of bringing Big Picture understanding to the subject of biofiltration beyond the usual marketing nonsense. I promise you that much , Andrew-- JR
    Ahh, you can't possibly mean 'show me the 10 second pull video' thing again?

( I'm sure I have his blessing as I know where is was going with this thread)
    LOL, really?, i would never have guessed, I am so stupid, I never saw through the plan.

As to the rest of your post did I say you had to be compliant or complacent?

Cheers

Andy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Andydon View Post

LOL, really?, i would never have guessed, I am so stupid, I never saw through the plan.

Andy
    Andy/Andrew - whatever.

Why the need to be SO cynical to your friends on this wonderful forum?

I really do feel you are over-reacting on this particular matter.

I just saw this as a VERY nice thread started by a VERY well-respected Koi enthusiast - full stop.

There, there! - there was no hidden agenda, it's just a figment of your youthful imagination - that's all.

These nice guys are only trying to help you and steer you onto the right path.

Perhaps a brief apology?

Peter.

There has been no rudeness in this thread up to this point and I see no need for that to change. Thusfar the directly relevant replies have been from ponders who have long throw filters (either single or multiple bay) and no complaints from anyone about their performance. The distinction between multi-chamber filters in series (up/down design) and multi-chamber parallel design (like ERIC) is a small one, but one politely addressed in one of JR's earlier posts.
    No need for any silliness just to roil calm waters now is there.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    There has been no rudeness in this thread up to this point and I see no need for that to change. Thusfar the directly relevant replies have been from ponders who have long throw filters (either single or multiple bay) and no complaints from anyone about their performance. The distinction between multi-chamber filters in series (up/down design) and multi-chamber parallel design (like ERIC) is a small one, but one politely addressed in one of JR's earlier posts.
    No need for any silliness just to roil calm waters now is there.
    I was just wondering....If I said I'd just bought another very different sort of filter, for instance a N...., would I have read on this thread remarks concerning "marketing nonsense"? You did not say this, but it was said.
    I thought that the thread was for testimonies of those who owned ERIC filters?
    Personally, as I have already stated, I will give an honest and detailed account of the performance of ERIC as soon as it's working.

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast