Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ERIC OWNERS and only the OWNERS

Daihonmei

ERIC OWNERS and only the OWNERS

four months ago i started this thread in a sincere attempt to elicit(sp) feedback from people that purchased an ERIC system and have it up and running.
    That thread is here
    ERIC Owners

and was rightly closed due to the road it took.
    So please whether you are pro or con does not matter, noone that does not currently own and operate an ERIC needs to post here and get this thread closed again...
    let's have the owners tell us...we all know everyone else's position

Tosai
    made a homemade one a 2 years ago and the water is cristal clear and has no ammonia. also didnt cost an arm and a leg

Fry
    Luke,

My very first filter system was an eric built on the exact dimensions from Peter's Koi Kichi Book. It was in use for 4 years. It worked very well indeed the water parameters where all great and the water crystal clear. I only cleaned mine once a week and it had very heavy feeding and stocking rates. Never had any problems with bacterial infections for the full 4 years of using it. The Japanese matting stayed very clean, I was always amazed at how clean it stayed. The Jap mat was only cleaned once a year. My only gripe was cleaning the brushes and the location that I put it in made it hard to clean. But have no idea how easy it would have been to clean with purging on a daily basis.

I wish that I had kept the eric type system, but the hype of the day was you had to have a vortex or a nexus type system this was stated by Peter himself unfortunatley. I used to use 3 sheets of japanese matting instead of brushes in the mechanical stage towards the end as it was a better barrier than brushes, they make the water crystal clear and were very easy and fast to hose down with hardly any mess.

Just goes to show that it does not pay off to go with the latest hype all the time.

Cheers John

PS. I grew some very very big and well built healthy koi with my ERIC Type filtration.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    four months ago i started this thread in a sincere attempt to elicit(sp) feedback from people that purchased an ERIC system and have it up and running.
    That thread is here
    ERIC Owners

and was rightly closed due to the road it took.
    So please whether you are pro or con does not matter, noone that does not currently own and operate an ERIC needs to post here and get this thread closed again...
    let's have the owners tell us...we all know everyone else's position
    I'm an owner, though not yet a user. My ERIC unit was delivered yesterday
    evening and will be installed in the next few weeks. I thusly cannot give an opinion as of now.

But the person who delivered the filter told me he had just dropped off four of them in Spain and that he had formerly delivered several of them to Denmark. And that there will be another delivery to Denmark, as the stock
    sold out after one week.

I have said that I will give a detailed and honest account as soon as the filter is running. And I will do just that.

Just as an aside, the French Koi club to which I belong has just sent out a warning to northern French Koi keepers to try and keep their ponds covered
    and do everyday water changes to prevent volcanic ash from poisoning their fish.

Ain't that a hoot?

Hey Luke,
    Anyway My pond was modified with the help of Frank Morales and with the design of Mike Hernandez. I love how it works. I don't know if it's what everyone would call as an ERIC. But it does work water is crystal clear.
    Michael

Hey Michael. Long time no hear from.
    Yours reminds me a lot of one I saw in Bakersfield last fall. Great series of raceways with bead filters to polish things off. Needless to say the water looked great

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigjohn View Post
    Luke,

My very first filter system was an eric built on the exact dimensions from Peter's Koi Kichi Book. It was in use for 4 years. It worked very well indeed the water parameters where all great and the water crystal clear. I only cleaned mine once a week and it had very heavy feeding and stocking rates. Never had any problems with bacterial infections for the full 4 years of using it. The Japanese matting stayed very clean, I was always amazed at how clean it stayed. The Jap mat was only cleaned once a year. My only gripe was cleaning the brushes and the location that I put it in made it hard to clean. But have no idea how easy it would have been to clean with purging on a daily basis.

I wish that I had kept the eric type system, but the hype of the day was you had to have a vortex or a nexus type system this was stated by Peter himself unfortunatley. I used to use 3 sheets of japanese matting instead of brushes in the mechanical stage towards the end as it was a better barrier than brushes, they make the water crystal clear and were very easy and fast to hose down with hardly any mess.

Just goes to show that it does not pay off to go with the latest hype all the time.

Cheers John

PS. I grew some very very big and well built healthy koi with my ERIC Type filtration.
    I read in a certain book to hose down Jap matting, but doesn't that kill the friendly bacteria?

quicksilver---the beneficial bacteria that populates the mats are a hardy bunch and will recover quickly from a rinse of even chlorinated water--note I said rinse not soak.

If in doubt of your local chlorination practises or levels, you can always keep one mat back or rinse it in pond water.

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
    I read in a certain book to hose down Jap matting, but doesn't that kill the friendly bacteria?
    Not a big problem if you are not hosing down every piece of bio-media.

Even if you "kill" bacteria, it will reestablish rather quickly on previous established bio-media (matting) compared to new media (matting).

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjohn View Post
    Luke,

My very first filter system was an eric built on the exact dimensions from Peter's Koi Kichi Book. <snip>

I wish that I had kept the eric type system, <snip>

I am sorry, I am not a ERIC user and I am unfamiliar with the term "ERIC". I have Peter's Koi Kichi book and could not find the term ERIC used in the book.
    Can somebody direct me to a page or web site on ERIC?

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast