Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: steroids

Quote Originally Posted by chang26k View Post
    I'm feeding my kois chicken feed and the feed has hormones in it. The feed are mostly crack corn and they can't digest that stuff too well but they do eat it. I'm not doing any test to check if hormone feed koi better then standard koi food but I would think that as long as the fish gets food, they are happy. The feed sinks and the fish loves this part. They find it like in the wild and they make a lot of poop with the feed. And I extreamly over feed. As in I grab a half hand full for the two ryukin and 1 5" sanke. The ryukin are new and they have no choice but to love this chicken feed. And I do mix koi food into the feed. And it poplutes the water more so then the koi food.

Based upon my experience, they koi fish are fine eating the stuff I'm giving them. The color are vibe and they have not died yet (almost 1 year now). The sanke is from a spawn from last summer and she's been on the chicken feed mix with koi food since she first ate. I know that 5" is small for 7 month old koi but now I know how to raiser her better then last year. Hoping she will get to 12" before Oct this year.
    Seriously? chicken feed? So exactly where in the wild would a koi find corn? If you know they can't digest it, why bother? You know why you see a lot of poop? It's because it's passing right thorough them. Save your money and don't feed them at all if you can't feed them anything better than cracked corn. I can't believe you have been here as long as you have been and seriously think your koi are doing "fine" on cracked corn.

Tategoi
    I remember reading something like startch or sugar can help the body of water maintain ph or something like that. And I think chicken feed has lots of oyster shell in them. But I think the crack corn is really just to hold all the hormones together.

The chicken feed is not pure crack corn its more so hormones for chicken... and I mix it with lots of koi food. And the koi and goldfish go after the feed first because it sink or maybe they like it.

I got lots of different food, just wanted to experiment. And they seem to like the feed. That is the point, and I think the koi is starting to get fat/big from it. This is good, what I wanted. The ryuken's hump is growing very big too. But this is about koi not ryuken.

Most food that are on the market have some sort of hormones in it anyway. Color enhancers, wheat germ.... I'm just trying something else and they are liking it.
    Akitsushima Tombo

Oyagoi
    Now not fish related but will say what corn does.
    When we dairy farmed we fed corn and hay and other stuff but feeding corn in proper amounts for the job you wanted to accomplish.
    When we raised the females we fed a little corn and alot of roughage.we wanted them to grow and not get fat and be ready for a LONG life ahead of them.
    We also raied a few bulls for meat.now we were a little different then what other did or still do.We fed straight corn and some protein no roughage.doing this allowed them to be ready for butcher at 12 months VS 16-18 months you see alot of meat on your table is.
    Why push them? we were not interested in the long life but the short life they had.get them fat for their purpose

so how to relate to fish.really different but not different.You are seeing SHORT term benefits of feeding the corn getting big and fat as you said but unless you are growing them to eat you are really not interested in giving them a long life.

chicken feed is mostly Corn not hormones scan the fed tag and we can break it down and ingrediants will be listed from greatest to least.
    oyster shells are used in chicken feed and even have another feeder for them to eat straight another term for oyster shell feed is scratch.the chicken even any bird will eat this or birds in your yard do you see them eat the gravel or sand by side or road or such.they need this to help digest the food or "scratch" chicken do not have teeth so now grinding gets down but the sand or such aids in digestion.so that is purpose of oyster shell plus extra calcuim for egg shell.

so basically the corn or chicken feed is providing you with short term goals but will not be good for long term goals
    Paul Korf

member of:
    Midwest Pond and Koi Society
    Louisville Koi club
    IKONA

26k, I believe your missing the very big picture.

Corn is a BIG No No for Koi.

I never grade my koi food based on "The Koi Like it".

Your Koi making a lot of poop should be telling you something.

What Paul posted about Short Term -vs- Long Term is right on.

Back in the 70's the big new thing in the Pet Food Industry was less waste from pets. Iams Pet Foods (Eukanuba) was one of the first. It was all about the obsorption of the food to benefit the animal, not just going through the animal with very little benefit. This would cause less waste, which is very important in a Closed System and it's Water Quality.
    President : GLK&GS
    Officer : NMZNA
    Certified Judge : AKJA

Chang....I bet if you fed nothing but Twinkies or cookies to a child for a whole year he'd love it too! that does NOT mean it is good for them and satisfying his nutritional requirements. What you are doing is slowly killing your koi. they are not getting the protein they require to build muscle mass and they are getting too many carbohydrates which build large yellow fat deposits around the internal organs. Why experiment with something that has already been researched my MAJOR koi food companies? I don't get it? All you are doing is trying to save a buck, which is not something you should be doing with the health of your koi. If you can't afford to feed them all, then get rid of half of them and feed the remaining half an appropriate koi diet.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    Chang....I bet if you fed nothing but Twinkies or cookies to a child for a whole year he'd love it too! that does NOT mean it is good for them and satisfying his nutritional requirements. What you are doing is slowly killing your koi. they are not getting the protein they require to build muscle mass and they are getting too many carbohydrates which build large yellow fat deposits around the internal organs. Why experiment with something that has already been researched my MAJOR koi food companies? I don't get it? All you are doing is trying to save a buck, which is not something you should be doing with the health of your koi. If you can't afford to feed them all, then get rid of half of them and feed the remaining half an appropriate koi diet.
    Right on CarolinaGirl! I do like to supplement my standard koi food with other types of food as well, but I would not risk my koi's health for the sack of experimenting. I have used tofu(too messy), shrimps, small frozen fish, and clams(my favorite and it's not messy). These foods are all available at the super markets.

Sunny

Hello Chang . . .

There's a bright line between unconventional and unsound, a line which your described feeding practices have clearly crossed.

Please listen to the wisdom of teachers like Cindy, Paul and Troy.

Otherwise, the consequences for your fish will be as unavoidable as they are tragic.

Best wishes,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12