Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I bought saki hikari & silkworm p. for $33

Fry

I bought saki hikari & silkworm p. for $33

I got a 4.4 lb bag of saki hikari growth and 6.5 ounces of osi dried silkworm pupae together for $33 including shipping on ebay. Best deal I've ever gotten on food by far.
    Anyway I'm wanting to know some of the benefits of silkworm pupae. I have heard that it is the best food you can buy for koi to feed during summer months. Thanks

I have only heard one thing about silk worm, and that was from Andrew Moo at Andrew's International in Anaheim. Aparently its pretty high in protein and you should be careful when feeding it. Here is the link on You Tube where he talks about it.

YouTube - how to grow big koi - part 3

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by <Soragoi> View Post
    I got a 4.4 lb bag of saki hikari growth and 6.5 ounces of osi dried silkworm pupae together for $33 including shipping on ebay. Best deal I've ever gotten on food by far.
    Anyway I'm wanting to know some of the benefits of silkworm pupae. I have heard that it is the best food you can buy for koi to feed during summer months. Thanks
    Silk worm pupea is very seasonal. It typically does not become available until June.
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Great Video of Andy, and excellent advice he gives on ALL of it. I laughed a little bit at first because the very first words out of his mouth were about what a waste of time feeding watermelon is Koi might enjoy eating it (mine don't for some reason) but the nutrient value is just a tiny bit better than iceberg lettuce (which has zero)

Listening to Andy sounds just like reading a "4 season fish" ramble from JR doesn't it. Even the value of seasonal growth vs fasting and color development...
    It might give one the impression that "experts agree"
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

I kinda wish Andy had more clips like that on you tube. Maybe one day I will be able to make it down to his place and check it out.

I don't know if you got the videos of Andy from YouTube or from his web site and don't know how many you saw.

But, you might want to visit his website because all of them are there to be seen.

www.andrewskoi.com

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussies5 View Post
    I don't know if you got the videos of Andy from YouTube or from his web site and don't know how many you saw.

But, you might want to visit his website because all of them are there to be seen.

www.andrewskoi.com

Enjoy.
    Yep, I got the clip off of YouTube. Thank you for sharing the link to the rest of his clips. I really enjoy listening to his suggestions and recomendations.

Daihonmei
    yes, you have to be VERY careful about the age of silkworm pupae! SW pupae are very very high in fat content. It is the fat and not the protein that can cause water problems. But of more concern is the fact that the fat content tends to oxidize over time in storage. Back in the day when SW pupae was THE high growth food and in common use, there were many cases of koi with lethal digestive metabolic problems from the ingestion of rancid fat. At that time it was called a disease but it is really a type of poisoning via the digestive tract when absorbed. If the bag is not vacuum packed, I'd throw it out-- a word to the wise-----

JR

Thank you JasPR for correcting me I only realized after I made my post that is was fat not protein, but I figured I'd let Andy correct me

However, Andy did mention that we need to be carefull when feeding foods high in protein as well. It can give koi a bad stomach that leads to floating poop. He also talked about feeding food less in protein during the cooler parts of the year, feeding food higher in protein during warmer parts of the year, and the importance of resting the fish during the winter even if you live in a area that is nice year round.

Quote Originally Posted by <Soragoi> View Post
    That is quite a high price , bet you no breeder in the US can afford that .
    You can buy a US high growth food at 25% of that price. I was told that Japan imports most of the ingredients.
    Quite a problem for us in Canada as now we need a health certificate for each company to import from them at a cost of $175 .
    Regards
    Eugene

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast