Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4-step Kohaku

4-step Kohaku

Hi, what do you think? Is it a good deal, or is it overpriced? It is 16" male, $800, and the dealer bred it himself from Sakai mom and Dainichi dad. I do wish it were female, though. Is it too finished?

A video link below:

http://koioutlet.com/images/main/4St...2004091016.wmv

Leland

Daihonmei
    well , what's not to like! great colors and nice grade. Nice show pattern too. If it wins baby/ young champion it's priced right. But it will likely retire as a show fish early in it's life and then you have to be happy with it as a pet. Is that a good trade for the money? Only you can say? But IF I was gunning for one of the champion awards, this is certainly a prospect depending on competition. JR

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    well , what's not to like! great colors and nice grade. Nice show pattern too. If it wins baby/ young champion it's priced right. But it will likely retire as a show fish early in it's life and then you have to be happy with it as a pet. Is that a good trade for the money? Only you can say? But IF I was gunning for one of the champion awards, this is certainly a prospect depending on competition. JR
    i see a bit of sashi there, so how long will it take for the sashi to come up, and then the koi is truly finished?

Thanks

Beni red only touches the right eye. It let the whole patterns looks stressing on the right part. I think this cause a little bit loss balance. Hopefully the body conformation can catch more attentions when he turns larger. How old is he?

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    C'mon Jim, you know this isnt always a sure bet.... I've seen fish 20X worst than this fish win a high prize at a show....hahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Leland View Post
    Hi, what do you think? Is it a good deal, or is it overpriced? It is 16" male, $800, and the dealer bred it himself from Sakai mom and Dainichi dad. I do wish it were female, though. Is it too finished?

A video link below:

http://koioutlet.com/images/main/4St...2004091016.wmv

Leland
    Leland, how old did the dealer tell you the fish is? If he tells you it is younger than 3 years old I would say he's lying....

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    Leland, how old did the dealer tell you the fish is? If he tells you it is younger than 3 years old I would say he's lying....

Tony
    Tony, I did not ask as I was looking at another koi at the time . However I"ll find out tomorrow.

Anyways, why would you say that? Is there any mark that makes it an old fish? It's only 16 inches.

Thanks

Tony, I did not ask as I was looking at another koi at the time . However I"ll find out tomorrow.

Anyways, why would you say that? Is there any mark that makes it an old fish? It's only 16 inches.

Thanks
    Look at the thickness of the lead ray of the pecs, I would the fish is around Sansai(3 year old) or Yonsai(4 year old).....you got to remember that they show fish as small as 7" at the All Japan Show and they are 4 years old with great pattern the term is "Bonsai Koi"......

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    Look at the thickness of the lead ray of the pecs, I would the fish is around Sansai(3 year old) or Yonsai(4 year old).....you got to remember that they show fish as small as 7" at the All Japan Show and they are 4 years old with great pattern the term is "Bonsai Koi"......
    maybe it's a deformity or genetics? I know the parents were jumbo or at least pretty big. So if it's 3-4 years old and it isn't finished yet, is that a good thing?

maybe it's a deformity or genetics? I know the parents were jumbo or at least pretty big. So if it's 3-4 years old and it isn't finished yet, is that a good thing?
    Let's put it this way, I got a Oishi Sensuke Male Kohaku that is 4 years old...it's about 24-25" now....mind you this is in a pond less than 2000gals. Oishi is known for smaller finished fish.

Finish? It's finished...well with the Dainichi bloodline you do get a fish that will age a bit more gracefully....but the beni looks to have peaked....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast