Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: koi keeping should be soul food

Daihonmei

koi keeping should be soul food

After digesting and accepting yet another internet koi organization on the virtual landscape of what seems to be an unending splitting of the tiny koi hobby into dozens of fragmented pieces, I quietly found myself thinking about what the koi hobby is---

To my way of thinking and after working within a major club's health hotline for 8 years, showing fish for 18 years, judging fish for 15 years, writing about fish for 20 years, and visiting Japan to study the best of the best for 19 years, I have to say---

The koi hobby to me is not about goolish endless necropsy labs, or even valuable parasite identification labs ( In all modesty I started the first one in 1994 at an AKCA seminar). It is not about the social scene on the internet. And it is not about 'BIG, BIG, BIG!!!' vanity based three ring circus.
    To me, it is about the koi culture itself. Koi keeping is a journey and if one finds themselves 'stuck' in any one phase ( such as the death and illness hobby or in the perpetual chasing of a trophy hobby) then one is nearer to burn out than one knows.
    The only truly lasting thing is the appreciation of koi as a living work of art. That never gets old and is really the POINT of the hobby. The lasting point-- the purpose of the hobby, really.

Certainly we need to keep koi from dying in the first year or two years of a beginner's learning curve. And certainly we need to concentrate on building our ponds ( and all it's nuances) before we can enjoy the hobby. After all, doing that right is a path to peace and an end to the death and dying phase of one's apprenticeship. But these are transient things in the big picture? Certainly there IS reward in helping others over the one-two year stretch of misery and suffering, but as a focus for the hobby? Too dark and gloomy a view, IMHO.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that phases and purpose are two different things. Both can be stimulating! But if an organization's role is to guide it's membership on a path that has been traveled by those that came before, in order to help the membership to reach the summit, then I think the mission statement is enjoyment of the koi themselves. This does not mean that phases are not addressed ! They should be, as part of the learning curve and as a phase they are part of the education base of any real life organization. Just not the purpose.

It is no secret that most people are drawn to the hobby by the beauty, presence and grace of brightly colored adult koi gliding just below the water's surface - all in a serene settings ( often of Japanese Zen garden style). That is the common vision that draws us all to the hobby, I think. (I don't know of anyone who entered the hobby in order to do necropsies on colorful koi, do you?)
    So the details, as important as they are, are steps to get to that dream.

For me, the disease focus, the endless filter design focus and the winning a prize focus are just tools in reaching the point of being able to truly appreciate the koi themselves.

A balmy summer early evening in late June, the sun just setting right.
    The air is clear and fresh and the breeze, just enough.
    At pond's edge the Japanese red maple is in full red leaf and a mantas' green body is the only break in an ocean of red.
    The fish rush toward me to the pond's edge, eager for their evening meal.
    Truly a range of movement and colors that mesmerizing.
    and all of the day's stress leaves me in that instant
    The wine is chilled and is a perfect addition to the moment- as these wonders of nature feed eagerly from my hand.
    This is koi keeping as it was meant to be ---
    JR

If you hadn't put your bonsai into the landscape, you could be watering, fertilizing and needle plucking, in between koi feeding and glasses of your merlot....tho I might fear for the candles after about the 3rd glass.

I come here for Knowledge , I go out back for Peace .

Last week I was on this Forum and learned from many of you , Thank You . Also last week I went out back one day and saw Sumi coming up on a Koi that I had Hoped/Been Waiting for , It made my Day ! What's wrong with me ?

For me I kinda enjoy the hobby, I like it better now than I ever did in the last 5 years.....

I have always been that middle class hobbyist dreaming to become something far more, but dreaming and becoming that type of hobbyist will always be that distance from the earth to the moon for me.

Like my dealers used to tell me "Have fun and learn".....

Peace Out!
    Tony

HI JR,
    Thanks for say what neded to be said. You have said it far better than I could. I have developed a lot of different presentations on koi. I enjoy giving the presentations about koi appreciation so much more than the ones about koi health. Being too focused on koi diseases while important to understand and help others with problems does tend to dwell on the negative. Since most koi health issues develop from over crowding, over feeding, under filtering, under maintaining water quality it seems a shame to dwell on the symptoms of koi illness rather than the underlying causes.

After all a beautiful koi is a healthy koi and a healthy koi is a beautiful koi.
    Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

Well said by all.
    Our own pond quickly became known as the "Black Hole" because my wife and I would have to pry ourselves away from it as we drank our morning coffee because "work" was calling us to go. The same thing at days end as we enjoy time watching them gracefully glide through the water as the sun sets. Darkness settles in and the glimpses of Koi mingled with the sound of waterfalls and the chirping of frogs around the yard is a peaceful way to settle in for the night.
    One of the things my wife wants is a nicely screened bed at pond side so she can just settle in for a "mosquito free" good nights sleep near the sound of rushing water...
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Thank you, JR, for making us all 'think a bit deeper' about our focus in the hobby.

I know as the years have gone by, from our first venture into koi discovery, I feel a different approach recently. After many years in the 90's with a good bit of time dwelling on those things you have pointed out here, those 'negative approach' items we shall call them, change has arrived.

I have a current motto:

Buy the wine you want, burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie, and enjoy more time sitting pondside and watching the beauty and grace of koi. Don't save these things for a certain special occasions --today IS special.

Nothing wrong with enjoying the serenity and magnificence of our koi. Some folks just 'don't get it' and maybe never will... and that's OK!

Meg
    quite universal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails koi keeping should be soul food-img_9534.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Koi keeping is a journey and if one finds themselves 'stuck' in any one phase ( such as the death and illness hobby or in the perpetual chasing of a trophy hobby) then one is nearer to burn out than one knows.
    The only truly lasting thing is the appreciation of koi as a living work of art. That never gets old and is really the POINT of the hobby. The lasting point-- the purpose of the hobby, really.

It is no secret that most people are drawn to the hobby by the beauty, presence and grace of brightly colored adult koi gliding just below the water's surface - all in a serene settings ( often of Japanese Zen garden style). That is the common vision that draws us all to the hobby, I think.
    So the details, as important as they are, are steps to get to that dream.
    Yes. The means to reach that end have a way of diverting focus.