Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Treatment For This Koi?

Tosai

Any Treatment For This Koi?

I have a 7 year old Kikokuryu about 26" long who is having trouble swimming. When she swims she does so by wriggling her front half with very little tail movement and when she quits swimming she immediately sinks to the bottom of the pond where she sits with her fins extended. I believe it is a swim bladder issue as there are no outward signs of injury or dammage. Is there any treatment for this Koi?

The pond is 4000 gallons with 13 Koi. A large bio-falls run by 3000 gph pump and a 12 cubic foot TT run by 4000 gph. Twice weekly water changes of 25% from a good well. Ammonia and Nitrite 0, Nitrate only a trace.

It depends on the cause of the problem with the swim bladder. There have been surgical procedures followed on a couple of occasions that have worked. Finding a veterinarian willing and capable is a real longshot. If the root cause is an internal infection, treatment with antibiotics can be tried. A year ago one of mine was suffering from a swim bladder problem. She recovered on her own as suddenly as the problem arose. I hope you have the same good fortune.

Tosai
    Good news, Mike, that your Koi recovered.

There is a good aquatic vet some 60 miles North of here (Dr. Helen Roberts). In fact, I have assisted her on Koi and goldfish surgeries. Also, I am prepared to give antibiotic injections (Baytril) if I feel it's necessary, but I'm going to wait it out a few more days and see what she does. I hope my luck with Koi recovery is as good as yours. Thanks for letting me know how your situation turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe View Post
    Also, I am prepared to give antibiotic injections (Baytril) if I feel it's necessary, but I'm going to wait it out a few more days and see what she does.
    Hello Phoebe . . .

The biggest problem with trying to treat swim bladder infections by giving IP or IM injections is that very, very little blood (and even less antibiotic) makes it to the swim bladder, which is why injections should be placed directly into the swim bladder.

The second problem is that using a randomly chosen antibiotic may or may not knock down the infection, which is why fluid from the swim bladder should be cultured to properly select the AB with maximum impact.

Here's a thread about a koi of ours with swim bladder disease which you might find educational:

California Koi Vet saves koicops fish George
    Don Chandler
    Member: AKCA, ZNA, KoiUSA

Quote Originally Posted by KoiCop View Post

Here's a thread about a koi of ours with swim bladder disease which you might find educational:

California Koi Vet saves koicops fish George
    That's the thread that sets the standard. I don't see how you could do better than that.

Tosai
    Don, Your information is always helpful, but that article really blows my mind. Dr. Roberts and I have removed tumours but as far as I know she has never delt with swim bladder in the way your article describes. My hope is that my Kikukuryu recovers on her own as Mike's did. As much as I love my Koi I'm not sure how far I'd be willing to go. Thanks for the information though. It's something to think about.

At a minimum I'm betting your Vet would enjoy the read

Tosai
    I'm sure she will enjoy it. I've sent it on to her.

intestinal ?

Phoebe,
    I had a koi that displyed symtons like you discribed . I am real sure I caused that by feeding too much in early spring The fish would eat and eat Then one day it was at the bottom of the pond. Pec`s spread and when it swam it was the front part of the body that propeled it along. 90% of the time it would just stay in one place. I do`nt rember for sure but I think it took 6-8 monthes before it started eating and swiming again. I suspected intestenal problems from feeding after a 3 month fast. Hope your Kikukuryu comes around in time.
    Louie

Tosai
    Don/Koicop - Your information may have saved my Koi's life. I have been in contact with Dr. Roberts and she has done the proceedure talked about in your article. My Kikukuryu will go in to her next week for treatment. It sounds rather dangerous to the fish, but I'm willing to try and save her. My fishs' name is Mega Bucks, Meg for short. How long ago did George W. have this proceedure done and is he still alright? Any re-occurence of the problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast