Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flukes in QT

Fry

flukes in QT

hi,
    i have a QT of about 875gal, i have a few fish in it, i do a daily water change of +_10%, i use laguna water prep most of the time when i do my water change. i have a few valuable fish in the QT. a bit over a week ago i fount some parasites seen soars on some fish, i did a Minnfinn treatment which took care of most if them, 4 day later the flukes came back in full force i did 3 more treatment at 1 day interval. still did not got rid tof the flukes, Paul from minnfinn did help a lots with dosage etc.. not wanting the stress the fish anymore i did a treatment last satruday with aquaprazi so today 3 adn half day later i did a scrape of 1 fish hopping to see a reduction inthe flukes and to my surprize the count of flukes when UP. i am realy lost here. i could understand that my water conditioner would weaken the Minnfinn treatment. but the prazi now i am confuse. does anyone had this happen to them before? i am open to any suggestion.
    my filtration for the QT is a 20" sand filter, bottom drain, a 55gasl barrel for bio and a 30gal tuperware for trikle tower.

Marc

Sorry for your issues with flukes. I applaud you knowing how to scrape and scope to determine exactly what is affecting your fish. Also as you have done it is critical to recheck after treatment to determine if the regime utilized was effective. I have not used the treatments you listed so my comments are generic about water treatments in general.

Many premixed treatments for ponds contain lower amounts of the chemical than what is needed. I beleive the reason for this is because most hobbyists overestimate their pond volume. It is critical to know the exact volume of the water you are treating. At least within + or - 2%.

Since many hobbyists overestimate their pond volume many premixed medications reduce the concentration of medication in their products by some unstated "factor" to avoid having the hobbyist kill the fish immediately while being treated with too stong a dose and blame the product. Another reality is many times these chemicals are used without proper identification of which or even if a paracite was present. Water quality issues can mimic many of the common symtoms seen when paracites are present.

When a paracite problem is identified it is critical to know what is the actual concentration of chemical in the premixed product you are buying/using and also know the exact volume of the pond to be treated. Additionally, you need to know what dose to administer and depending on water temperture and the specific paracite life cycle how often to retreat.

However, most off the shelf medications do not list the actual concentration of their ingredients. This is why I avoid buying anything for my pond that doesn't offer a complete list of ingredents and their concentration.

Sadly, I often see reccomendations on some koi boards to buy a certain brand product but suggest increasing the dose by 50% or 100% as they have proven ineffective at the reccomended product dose. The problem is since the product strenght isn't listed it could be altered at any time and the new concentration could be lower or higher than before.

Another problem is that many paracite treatments have a narrow margin of efficacy/safety. For some chemicals if you use a bit less than reccomended you will not kill the paracites. Use a bit more and you kill the fish being treated.

I have found that the best solution is to buy product brands that list the strenght of their product on the label or buy the actual chemicals in known strenghts so you can mix your needed dose exactly without guessing what strenght you might be using.

Hope this helps some of the readers of this thread.
    Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

Oyagoi
    I really hate flukes.....

So far, the only things to really work for me on flukes is either Fluketabs or Supaverm. I much prefer the Supaverm. I use it at the rate of 1 cc per 110 US gallons.

Like Ray says, though, you MUST know EXACTLY how much water you will be treating. Either of those medications can kill your fish, even with a small overdose.

Usually a 12 hour dose of Supaverm followed by completely draining, drying, sterilizing and refilling the holding tank does it for me. However, I sorta cheat. My systems are 100% flow through and I get about a full tank exchange once every thirty minutes or so. I use about 120,000 gallons a day when the holding facility is full.

For the typical recirc system, you might need to leave the treatment in for a week or so to take care of new hatches. Perhaps somebody with a more typical system will comment on what worked for them.

Brett

For
    Brett

Daihonmei
    * do a 50% water change
    * used fluke tabs
    * do another 50% water change
    * check to see that the flukes are gone in one week after the last water change

Be very careful with superverm if you have soft water. check it to make sure. Superverm does burn koi in soft acidic water. I found out all about this the hard way a few years ago.

Prazi has always taken care of fluke problems for me. It takes a week, but reduction of the fluke population is notable within one day. A second generation of flukes can re-infest after one week if temperatures are cool, requiring another treatment. Your experience with Prazi is inexplicable to me, unless you were continuing the water changes during treatment. If so, new water added must be treated.

Hello marct . . .

Factors to consider, regardless of which treatment you use:

* Some flukes give live birth; some lay eggs. Treatments don't kill eggs, so when they hatch they re-infest.

* Egg layers have irregular schedules, but lower temperatures tend to lengthen the intervals.

Since you're in Canada and have been re-infesting over and over again, I'd guess your water is cool and you're mis-timing the cycles.

I'd recommend heating your QT to a minimum of 70 F (to shorten the cycles) and treating 3 times a week apart with prazi.

Best wishes,

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbreeder View Post
    I really hate flukes.....

So far, the only things to really work for me on flukes is either Fluketabs or Supaverm. I much prefer the Supaverm. I use it at the rate of 1 cc per 110 US gallons.

Like Ray says, though, you MUST know EXACTLY how much water you will be treating. Either of those medications can kill your fish, even with a small overdose.

Usually a 12 hour dose of Supaverm followed by completely draining, drying, sterilizing and refilling the holding tank does it for me. However, I sorta cheat. My systems are 100% flow through and I get about a full tank exchange once every thirty minutes or so. I use about 120,000 gallons a day when the holding facility is full.

For the typical recirc system, you might need to leave the treatment in for a week or so to take care of new hatches. Perhaps somebody with a more typical system will comment on what worked for them.

Brett

For

Like Brett I prefer Supaverm, treat 1 time, wait 5 days, do a water change and hit them one more time. Never had an issue w/ supaverm.

Also used Prazi too in the past but too expensive for the amount of water I'm treating and a pita to mix.

Sansai
    Hi:

Trichloracide has worked well for me.

-t

Fry

flukes in QT

my water is fairly soft here in BC, my water temp is today 62f a few degree cooler then last week it was 70.
    i know excately the volume of water i have, 874 gal + my filter about 35 gal.
    how do you know if you have the flukes with eggs or babies? can that be recognize with a microscope?
    Paul from Minnfinn help me a lots with the dosing of minnfinn but i think the use of decloronator realy water down the minnfinn, minnfinn did hlep with other parasite, and bacteria.
    what i need to know is can the proportion of prazi be increase since i know my excat volume of water.
    looking under the scope i seen that even after minnfinn treatment the quantities of flukes was drasticaly down but also much smaller in size about half or less then half the size of the flukes before treatment so this means these are young one but from eggs or????

i preciate the help.
    marc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast