Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 KB Momotaro Gosanke 70,000 US Gallon Liner Grow-Out Pond

Lam, your full of surprises! What an interesting "new wrinkle".....so can you quote Tony on what he feels the growth per month might be?

..... and the hits keep comin'

Grant

... I did talk to Lam about the missing grow-out facility Pics (oversized)..... Soon as his day at work is over, he'll address getting them resized and posted......

Go 2010.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010 KB Momotaro Gosanke 70,000 US Gallon Liner Grow-Out Pond-logo-aa.jpg  

I know there will be those folks who rightly feel that a grow out contest should be based in a home pond. that way the results are a direct result of the education and diligenmce of the owner. No Argument from me on those points.

Like so much else in life, the other side of the Coin is that those who really love the idea of experiencing the opportunity to own a certificated female with great genetics, BUT have a small pond can clearly see the value in having a Koi in a proper facility to continue to move that investiment along properly....might like this 70,000 gal Grow out facility option.

Lam, is there a certain amount of participants that must sign up to make this happen?

I have a friend who has signed up for two "MoMo's " and wishes to take one home to raise and compare his results with the MAX facility. His thoughts seem to think even if he can beat the vast majority of those in thier home ponds, How did he do in what would seem the ultimate competition in extraordinary facilities. Something he could not duplicate.

I think these opinion/ options are valid. for comparison purposes for continuing education can the home pond compete with the grow-out liner pond possibility. Is koi raising appropriate to the expression "All's fair in love and war" ? Or do the battle lines have to be more closely arrainged.

For my two cents, I'd like to be able to compare how i did with other folks
    at home as well as how i did with those that opted for the Monster pond.
    Since there are two ways to focus on, in the competition....size and tategoi development, wouldn't it give equal opportunity to both home ponders and those willing to use the 70,000 gallons to learn what is best. Can you get both at either place? I like the idea of an extra element to help learn from by comparison. Thoughts any one?
    Dick Benbow

If I GO, I would have a one fish per 2000 gallon ratio. This would be equal to 35 fish per 70,000 gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by gcuss View Post
    ..... and the hits keep comin'

Grant
    That's right Grant. This is a high-end GO event and it wouldn't be one w/o a grow-out pond. Better yet, it's a pond inside a greenhouse away from predation/natural disaster w/ optimal growth temperature and soft well water source being fed with either Momotaro koi food or Saki-Hikari Growth in a quiet and secluded environment. And, to put the icing on the cake, I am working with Antony Promod of Koi TV to have him install a video camera with live feed 24/7 so that we can all watch our koi "frolick" in the huge grow-out pond while they are in there.

Borrowing the quote from the baseball movie Field of Dreams, "If you build [it], they will come," Dinh and I are building it and we hope that all of you will come and participate in this fun, fair and educational grow-out event. What better way to learn and share knowledge, make longlasting friendship and end the grow-out by having a nice Momotaro gosanke.

Grant, I can't wait to see you and Susan again in a few weeks!

Pictures of the grow-out pond are posted. Please note that it is still under construction. The greenhouse will be fully covered when complete. It will also have a couple of huge fans (one on each end) for when temperature rises during peak summer days.
    Last edited by Lam Nguyen; 05-27-2010 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong View Post
    If I GO, I would have a one fish per 2000 gallon ratio. This would be equal to 35 fish per 70,000 gallon.
    Gary, I am sorry but I am lost. Are you saying that this is your stocking density in your pond right now? If so, then I forfeit because there is no way I can compete against you. But I have Momotaro koi food and you don't.

Borrowing another saying, "If you can't run with the big dogs then stay on the porch" Dinh and I hope that all the "big dogs" will come out and play so that we can all test our skills and share our knowledge.

It is not that often that we get high quality gosanke, let alone Momotaro Ryu sanke, for a grow-out event. Furthermore, there are 68 female Momotaro gosanke to choose from. At just 25 participants that equates to almost 2.5 gosanke to choose from for each participant!
    Last edited by Lam Nguyen; 05-27-2010 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    Lam, your full of surprises! What an interesting "new wrinkle".....so can you quote Tony on what he feels the growth per month might be?
    Thanks Coach. I have to be full of surprises to be your student. I talked to Tony and he feels that these Momotaro gosanke can attain 1cm per week. To put things into perspective if we place the female Momotaro gosanke in the pond on Sunday June 20th and remove them on Sunday October 24th, that gives us 18 full weeks or 18cm of growth average. This means that koi that go in at 35cm will come out at 53cm. Not a bad investment if you were to ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    I know there will be those folks who rightly feel that a grow out contest should be based in a home pond. that way the results are a direct result of the education and diligenmce of the owner. No Argument from me on those points.

Like so much else in life, the other side of the Coin is that those who really love the idea of experiencing the opportunity to own a certificated female with great genetics, BUT have a small pond can clearly see the value in having a Koi in a proper facility to continue to move that investiment along properly....might like this 70,000 gal Grow out facility option.

Lam, is there a certain amount of participants that must sign up to make this happen?

No there isn't. Either way, Dinh and I are renting the pond for the year because we want to optimize the growth of these gosanke by giving them a big body of water, sheltered in a greenhouse to minimize predation/natural disaster, all the Momotaro koi food they can consume, and a quiet and secluded place to rest and just focus on having fun and growing. The only disruption will be the daily visit from the pond owner to fill the auto feeder and examine the koi for health issues.

I have a friend who has signed up for two "MoMo's " and wishes to take one home to raise and compare his results with the MAX facility. His thoughts seem to think even if he can beat the vast majority of those in thier home ponds, How did he do in what would seem the ultimate competition in extraordinary facilities. Something he could not duplicate.

Coach, that is an excellent idea! I thought about doing the same thing but have learned that there is no way I can replicate the kind of growth that the koi in the 70,000 gallon pond will achieve. So I will most likely place both of my female gosanke in the liner pond to grow.

I think these opinion/ options are valid. for comparison purposes for continuing education can the home pond compete with the grow-out liner pond possibility. Is koi raising appropriate to the expression "All's fair in love and war" ? Or do the battle lines have to be more closely arrainged.

For my two cents, I'd like to be able to compare how i did with other folks
    at home as well as how i did with those that opted for the Monster pond.
    Since there are two ways to focus on, in the competition....size and tategoi development, wouldn't it give equal opportunity to both home ponders and those willing to use the 70,000 gallons to learn what is best. Can you get both at either place? I like the idea of an extra element to help learn from by comparison. Thoughts any one?
    EXACTLY Coach! This is exactly what Brian, Dinh and I were thinking when we discussed the possibility of having a grow-out pond. There are many things to learn from this GO. The first summer months will allow us to assess growth of koi in the "GREEN MONSTER" (green for PacNW green scenery and monster for monstrous size) versus growth of koi in hobbyists' ponds. Then, because the GO event will not end until October 1, 2011 we can gauge how each individual does with koi in their pond for another year.
    Last edited by Lam Nguyen; 05-27-2010 at 12:57 AM.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast