Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prazi and arugulus?

Prazi and arugulus?

I think my koi have fish lice. I see little dots that appear to be under the scales (might not be). They are flashing and some have sores and damaged scales. Red veins in fins and tail after netting to look closer.

Question is does prazi kill arugulus? I'm treating with a "general" parasite treatment from API that contains prazi. and metronindazole (says it's for arugulus)along with melafix for their sores. Will this work? Don't have a microscope yet....

Nitrates a little high 50-60 mg/l
    Ph 6.5.
    Alkalinity 30 mg/l ,added SB.
    Nitrites .75
    GH 100 mg/l

Quote Originally Posted by Benkei View Post
    I think my koi have fish lice. I see little dots that appear to be under the scales (might not be). They are flashing and some have sores and damaged scales. Red veins in fins and tail after netting to look closer.

Question is does prazi kill arugulus? I'm treating with a "general" parasite treatment from API that contains prazi. and metronindazole (says it's for arugulus)along with melafix for their sores. Will this work? Don't have a microscope yet....

Ph 6.5.
    Nitrites .75
    GH 100 mg/l
    Like Anchor worm, Argulus carp lice can be seen with the naked eye.
    Argulus look like a clear fish scale with two dots (the eyes).

Once you train your eye, they are easy to see.

I use Dimilin to treat Anchor worm and Argulus.

I have no experience with PraziPro. The web site does not specifically mention Anchor worm and Argulus.

Hello Richard . . .

PraziPro is made by Hikari whereas Benkei says they're using a "general" parasite treatment from API.

If it's this one (General Cure™ Powder - API), it's a powder for aquariums that appears to have a little bit of this and that -- and which is not really something most koi hobbyists would be familiar with, I'm afraid.

Back to their questions:

* No, prazi will not kill argulus
    * Melafix will not cure sores
    * Your nitrites (and ammonia?) are high enough to cause the problems you're seeing.

You need to:

* Water change, water change, water change
    * Salt to .30% to prevent nitrite uptake
    * If ammonia readings are present, use a binder

Questions:

* What are you keeping these fish in -- pond, aquarium, tub?
    * How many gallons?
    * How many fish? Size?
    * Frequency of water changes? Amount? Source?

Best wishes,
    Don Chandler
    Member: AKCA, ZNA, KoiUSA

How many gallons is your pond? How many fish and what size? What type of filtration do you have? What is your ammonia level? How old is the pond? Did you add new fish to existing fish without QT? Do you have chlorine in your water and if so, did you treat for it?

Red veining is stress.

With NitrIte levels that high, it sounds like this is a new pond. You really should have salt the pond till the NitrIte levels come down but I don't know if you can use salt with the meds you're using. It's not usually a good idea to do shotgun treatments. Melafix is pretty useless.

Can you take pics of the fish/sores and post them?

Sorry for all the questions but we really need more information.
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

I definitely have too many Koi in my 220 Gallon preform pond. I'm working on a new set up. I have had no Nitrites and very little nitrates in the past but there are several Koi that have grown quickly since winter. Most where under 5 inches. Now about 8 are close to 8 in. I have about 15 under 5 inches.

Pond is a about a yr. old. Plenty of Bioballs and filter mats in a press. filter. Pump is 1350 gph Uv. light integrated one from Lowes.
    I added recommended salt content on API product box[ Don't remember what it was] last yr.
    No ammonia upon testing today.I did discontinue carbon filtration before adding the "General Cure".

Yes added about 10 new babies this month.[Didn't quarantine]

Three days ago I raised alkalinity with BS. after doing 50% water change. Also vacuumed pond. Before I did this Nitrites where 0. I treated water with Prime. PH was a little higher on tap than usual say 7.8, while pond water was in the sixes. This is when they started flashing. Also happened to be the first really hot day of the yr. that day. But pond is covered with a tarp so no drastic swings happen.
    I changed to a bunch of water from one of my two clay ponds when they seemed unhappy because initially when I started the pond that's what I used with no problems. Didn't help so I thought it might have contained argulus cause the clay pond is full of frogs.
    Started all this on recommended 50% water change once a week from a fellow Koi owner. I then read the thread here on skin quality by JayR I think.

I inspected the 4 most obviously affected ones and my shiro utsuri had several of what looked like tiny pin head spots in about 6 areas. Could be shimmies[spelling?].A 4 in showa had his fins tucked and the scales behind them where damaged on both sides.All white koi was pink and had spider veins in fins and tail along with some damaged lifted scales. 4 in Blue shusui had a scale on his side lifting off.

Would love to put them in one of the clay ponds but I lost 19 Koi to snakes and herons a while back. I havent set up a reliable sytem to protect them out there yet.The perch are just as bad! I saw one swollowing a black catfish twice its size. Im sure he had to spit him out .

API product tells me to do another treatment 48 hrs later.That would be tommorrow.Then 25% water change. I would have done a water change already but that would ruin the med treatment. So melafix doesnt work??
    Im thinking of putting them in a 10 ft. metal frame pool till I get things settled. Im worried about the whole new pond cycle thing though. I wondering if its better to keep them in the current pond till this is sorted?
    Last edited by Benkei; 05-29-2010 at 04:15 AM. Reason: spelling

Hey kntry Im in Louisiana too. What part of La are you in?

Edit: Just saw your post with the same area code as me....Do you have a mud pond ? If so how do you up the PH?
    Last edited by Benkei; 05-29-2010 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Found answer.

Tosai

Diminlin

Had them two years a go and Diminlin worked great

Ph 6.5.
    Nitrites .75
    GH 100 mg/l

Quote Originally Posted by KoiCop View Post

If it's this one (General Cure™ Powder - API), it's a powder for aquariums that appears to have a little bit of this and that -- and which is not really something most koi hobbyists would be familiar with, I'm afraid.
    Looks like that one is mostly salt.

"sodium chloride >80%"

I definitely have too many Koi in my 220 Gallon preform pond. I'm working on a new set up. I have had no Nitrites and very little nitrates in the past but there are several Koi that have grown quickly since winter. Most where under 5 inches. Now about 8 are close to 8 in. I have about 15 under 5 inches.

Pond is a about a yr. old. Plenty of Bioballs and filter mats in a press. filter. Pump is 1350 gph Uv. light integrated one from Lowes.
    I added recommended salt content on API product box[ Don't remember what it was] last yr.
    No ammonia upon testing today.I did discontinue carbon filtration before adding the "General Cure".

Yes added about 10 new babies this month.[Didn't quarantine]

Three days ago I raised alkalinity with BS. after doing 50% water change. Also vacuumed pond. Before I did this Nitrites where 0. I treated water with Prime. PH was a little higher on tap than usual say 7.8, while pond water was in the sixes. This is when they started flashing. Also happened to be the first really hot day of the yr. that day. But pond is covered with a tarp so no drastic swings happen.
    I changed to a bunch of water from one of my two clay ponds when they seemed unhappy because initially when I started the pond that's what I used with no problems. Didn't help so I thought it might have contained argulus cause the clay pond is full of frogs.
    Started all this on recommended 50% water change once a week from a fellow Koi owner. I then read the thread here on skin quality by JayR I think.

I inspected the 4 most obviously affected ones and my shiro utsuri had several of what looked like tiny pin head spots in about 6 areas. Could be shimmies[spelling?].A 4 in showa had his fins tucked and the scales behind them where damaged on both sides.All white koi was pink and had spider veins in fins and tail along with some damaged lifted scales. 4 in Blue shusui had a scale on his side lifting off.

Would love to put them in one of the clay ponds but I lost 19 Koi to snakes and herons a while back. I havent set up a reliable sytem to protect them out there yet.The perch are just as bad! I saw one swollowing a black catfish twice its size. Im sure he had to spit him out .

API product tells me to do another treatment 48 hrs later.That would be tommorrow.Then 25% water change. I would have done a water change already but that would ruin the med treatment. So melafix doesnt work??
    Im thinking of putting them in a 10 ft. metal frame pool till I get things settled. Im worried about the whole new pond cycle thing though. I wondering if its better to keep them in the current pond till this is sorted?
    Where to begin.........
    WHAT THE %@&# WERE YOU THINKING!
    You added 10 MORE fish to a 220 gallon preform that already had too many fish in it?
    I know exactly which pump/filter combo you have. My wife got one for her water garden pond a few weeks back. Pretty little bugger with its built in UV light and the filter chamber is a cute little thing with a few dozen bioballs and 2 mats of different grades. It is just big enough for 1 or 2 small fish and that is absolutely all.
    What you are now experiencing is "natural selection". Your preform is grossly overloaded and the water conditions are going to pick off the weakest fish one by one. As they die off it would be kind of you to NOT replace them as that will only prolong the death march for the rest.
    Forget the bugs, you have poisonous water to deal with. JR's post on upsetting the apple cart with large water changes assumed the pond was not undersized and overloaded. IF you want them to live you'll be doing 50% water changes DAILY (with dechlor/binders) to dilute the nitrites and ammonia.
    While you are keeping your Koi in "survival mode" in the water garden you really need to start work on a POND. It won't be 220 gallons with 15 or so fish. If you want 15 fish you need to ramp that gallonage up by a factor of 10 or15 with a LOT more effective filtration that you can buy at Lowes.
    I know it sounds like I'm being rude, but I'm just being honest. You've been mislead up to this point and the problems you are experiencing are the result of that deception. We won't lie to you here.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Papa Bear:

I know it sounds like I'm being rude, but I'm just being honest. You've been mislead up to this point and the problems you are experiencing are the result of that deception. We won't lie to you here
    Wonderful, I love reality! I could rationalize evasive solutions on my own but "reality, to be commanded must be obeyed", so I'm here to learn. Thank you for your integrity.

I know exactly which pump/filter combo you have. My wife got one for her water garden pond a few weeks back. Pretty little bugger with its built in UV light and the filter chamber is a cute little thing with a few dozen bioballs and 2 mats of different grades. It is just big enough for 1 or 2 small fish and that is absolutely all.
    I know which setup your referring to. I only bought the pump from there. I made my own biofilter and aeration set up. It has about 500 bio balls and 4 filter mats. The pond has channels that collect detritus as water courses through it.

Still much too small I know now. Im gonna put them either in a net set up in the pond ,or a pool. Any suggestions? I need to raise the ph in the pond and the hardness. Limestone takes too long.

Oh it was jasPRs' post I was referring to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast