Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FD Koi Food

FD Koi Food

Has anyone heard of this food? It's called FD and, to my knowledge, it's made in Japan and has been exporting to SE Asia. I read on several forums that many hobbyists have been using it with great results. Wonder when it will be exported to the States. Any help is much appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Daihonmei
    Lam, what does 'great results' mean? JR

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam Nguyen View Post
    Has anyone heard of this food? It's called FD and, to my knowledge, it's made in Japan and has been exporting to SE Asia. I read on several forums that many hobbyists have been using it with great results. Wonder when it will be exported to the States. Any help is much appreciated and I thank you in advance.
    Lam FD is a company in Japan that makes koi food for most breeder in Japan. Momotaro, Omosako and yes even Dainichi koi farm. I have personally talked to the owner and he has told me that although he makes food for different breeders all koi food have different ingredients. Breeders all over Japan come to him to ask him to make their individual koi food based on their specific koi.

In other words Dainichi only feeds Dainichi koi food to their koi and no other koi food because that koi food was made espcially for them based on what Dainichi has discovered with their koi bloodline.
    FD not only just makes the food based on what the breeders want, but the food is tested on the breeders koi for a period of time before it becomes available. Pm me if you need anymore info.. I hope this helps you a little. Check out their websited.

[English] fdfood.jp - HOME - FD FOOD CO.,LTD

Jumbo
    Yes, it is very true that FD Foods products are used by many of the breeders in Japan, most just using the standard blends as opposed to personal blends. Likewise many breeders now use Saki Hikari as well.

Daihonmei
    well I see Lam is not answering so let me fill in the blanks---

Koi food is a balanced diet that is exposed to high heat. And because it is scientiically based in it's analysis, it has all the ingredients known to be needed by carp to grow and operate all metabolic demands. All the essential amino acids ( not produced by the body) and the right mix of those amino acids in protein, lipids and carbohydrates ( processed to be accessible) vitamins and minerals. So scientifically speaking it has 'everything'.
    The next level of analysis is the quality of the 'everything'. Some protein meals are better than others. there is a difference between white fish meal and chicken feathers but on the scientific analysis they can be of the same % analysis of protein.
    But pellets are also mass produced with storage and shipping in mind. And some of these foods come by ship and some by plane. In all cases, there is an 'aging' process before it gets from the cooker/extruder to your fish's mouth. Vitamin lose, changes in lipids and decline of protein value are all possible once aging is applied. So there is NOT substitute for frozen or fresh foods in this regard-- and really no substitute for live food.

Part of the problem is observational study of koi and diet is that fat fish that grow long fast is considered to be the 'best diet'. Even if it stretches out the color and pattern. This myopic desire to get fish as big as possible as fast as possible is a confused observation of trying to do what the breeders do?? The breeders are trying to get fish big fast to make the maximum dollars in the shortest period of time. That's all. To copy this really makes to sense for the koi owner?
    You want to your fish to grow WELL, not FAST. And that means in rhythm with your weather and pond conditions. And sometimes feeding koi well means not feeding them at all!
    So if you want a fish to get fast in a short period of time, heat the water and feed to the limit of the environment. This fish can be made fat with starches and protein. If it begins to get too stumpy, remove fish, increase water changes and feed less as this means the fish is putting the excess food into egg production as the natural growth hormone is spent and the extra fat and protein is going to sexual growth. Reduce lipids and add in fresh proteins. Then begin again after a cycle to get the muscle to respond to the rise in protein in the diet.
    And if you must follow breeder's behavior- realize that they are also feeding fresh foods to select fish. And they are putting them to mud if not just intensive fish farming practices alone.

On the other hand, if you realize that all fish get to adult size anyway, unless held back by environment, then 'walk' your koi to adult size over a four year period. That means slowing feeding so as to drain off protein and fat storage in cool periods. And use frozen formula foods and even live foods-- certainly some fresh foods. Pellets are needed to provide a balance to the diet and should remain aa a staple. But against that back drop the added value of fresh/frozen can't be denied. JR

This is the first time I've heard of frozen fish food. Where do you get that?

I did read of someone feeding frozen silk worm pupae from the Asian market but we have no Asian market around here.

Are you saying four years from birth a koi should reach adult length? And what would you consider adult length? Does that vary according to genetics?

Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    This is the first time I've heard of frozen fish food. Where do you get that?

I did read of someone feeding frozen silk worm pupae from the Asian market but we have no Asian market around here.

Are you saying four years from birth a koi should reach adult length? And what would you consider adult length? Does that vary according to genetics?
    Peppy-

I get my frozen fish food from Petco's freezer. I have been feeding brine shrimp 1 meal a day normaly first feeding. I am thinking about getting some tubaflex worms next resupply. They have a selection of frozen food, but I recomend staying away from land based animal protien.

The last thing in the world this hobby needs is the hype of another designer koi food imported from Japan.

Madison Avenue movie star marketing techniques applied to koi pellets?

Sheesh! There's one born every day.

Bighatbulls, I'll check Petco but last time I saw their frozen food, they were small packets. How big are the packets you get? Aren't brine shrimp really small?

I would like to know what I should reasonably expect from my 7 new koi. I got them last year and [hopefully] they were tosai at 5-6 inches.

Lam, I think it's great that you seek out new things. I LOVE to try new things and find out what other people are doing and trying. Not that I don't get disappointed sometimes! But I'd rather try something new and be disappointed than never try anything new. Where do the hobbyists live that are using the FD food? I'll have to go to the website and read up about this food.
    ...enjoy your day!
    5500 gllns, Ultima II 4000, Tarpon 6000, 1 Multi-Cyclone Prefilter, 2 - 5500 gph pumps, 1 Retro BD, 1 skimmer, max depth 4', 5% trickle 24/7 weather permitting

Peppy

I am feeding fry and tosai (2.5 inches to about 6 inches) so the "Fish Gumdrops" brine shrimp work out pretty good for me. They are about a half by half inch semi ball. I think they also have 6X6 inch sheets (could be bigger) that Sean says could be broken off into manageable pieces. I did feed some cooked peeled shrimp to the fry once, they went into instant play mode. Looked like they where trying to play fish rugby. Lots of sad fry faces when I removed the remains. lots of "OI!"s too.

Now keep in mind I am not just feeding brine shrimp. That is just their "breakfast" They get fed about every 2-3 hours. So meal 2 would be hikari gold pellets, meal 3 would be hikari tropical algae waffers, meal 4 pellets, and meal 5 waffers, and I want to use frozen tubeaflex worms for meal 6.
    These guys also get orange slices every other day. My tosai LOOOOOOOVE oranges, they strip them clean. Got to make sure you remove the membrane of the oranges and the seeds. Leave the skin, it helps the orange to float. Sean wants to feed them strawberries.

My pond gets Kaytee pellets, crickets when I remember to buy them. they like lettuce, not so big on oranges, and they hate earthworms. That brings me to a suggestion someone made to me. You can feed you koi earth worms, just remove them from the dirt and wrap them up in moist paper towels. This will help purge the worm system of dirt and keep the feeding frenzy a little cleaner. You need to be aware of where the worms come from, if the dirt had been treated with chemicals etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast