Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: help ammonia!

Tosai
    the pond runs through the bio filtartion 1.5 times an hour. we salted the pond at the begging of the year and the pond primer. and amquil just a week ago.

Why salt and how much?
    What is Pond Primer???
    Amquel shouldn't be an issue water wise, but it may interfere with the accuracy of some test kits. You'll need to check with them on the specific kit you are using to be certain.

Honmei
    Amquel binds the ammonia, it does not remove it. Thus, the test kit, depending on type, could still test positive for ammonia. That being said, the question is still why is the ammonia present at that level to begin with. It still seems to be a filtration issue.

Do you have any pictures and a schematice on how the pond is set up?
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

In your first post you made note of the fact that your water tests 1 ppm straight from the tap. I'd get in touch with the local utility to find out just how much chloramine they are using as that is a very high number.

Also, since you have that number from the tap try a raw tap water test, neutralize the same sample with some Amquel, and give the same sample another test. It might give you some insight into how your test kit accuracy is responding to the binder.

Tosai
    one of my fish at the begging of the year went through the botttom drain and then looked a little off so i salted the pond to .3%. pond primer is just a chlorine remover. i will deffinantly do that tap water test with amquel. also i will try to get some pics on soon.

Tosai
    how do you uploud pics i have a mac is there a trick?

Fry
    My pond is only 1 yrs old, Ammonia was always 0. Recently, our weather was hot, and ammonia started to go up. I added more oxygen pump and some baking soda to pump my KH to 180. And my pond's ammonia level went back to 0. I found the following article is very scientific and helps me to understand the basics of pond water related issues. FA16/FA031: Ammonia in Aquatic Systems

Sunshine, welcome to koi-bito. Good article, but I will offer you one word of caution. NEVER add baking soda to a pond that has an ammonia problem. Ammonia is much less toxic at a lower pH. Adding baking soda drives the pH up, making ammonia much more deadly. Get the ammonia problem under control first, then add baking soda if needed.

Yup. Good article, including the section that talks about the rise in toxicity with temperature and ph elevation. Ammonia spikes in warm weather call for the "solution to pollution is dilution" approach first, and if you still need to elevate kh levels beyond what the fresh water provides take a measured approach. The ONLY time I would encourage someone to add a lot of B.S. to a pond suffering from an ammonia spike is if their water had a ph that was around 9.0 or above. That way the B.S. will pull the ph down toward 8.3.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Fry
    In the article, this is the part I think is related to the hot weather, since the hot weather causing lower oxygen level....Certainly, there are other ways to raise KH level. "Other important points to mention about the nitrogen cycle are that both groups of nitrifying bacteria need oxygen and alkalinity to function. If oxygen levels are not sufficient, the process can break down, and ammonia and nitrite levels will increase. Alkalinity (bicarbonate and carbonate) is also used by the nitrifying bacteria. If alkalinity is less than 20 mg/L, the nitrifying bacteria will not be able to function."

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast