Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: help ammonia!

Tosai

help ammonia!

as i know yall ill like all start with the specs of my pond it is 6000 gallons running two bottom drains each two a homemade eric, i have 15 fish 4 -8 inches 8 around 12 inches and 3 22inches plus. have only added one new fish this year the rest the exact same as last year. have had the pond for three years with zero ammonia untill know. before the ammonia i was feeding them twice a day all they could eat in 5min. saw .5 ammonia so slowed feeding way down. got up to 1 then did a major water change and made no difference so i tested the tap and it came out with a little over 1ppm ammonia . stayed this way for about a week got some ammonia binder stuff and added it two days ago since then it has gotten two 2ppm ammonia.
    current ammonia 2ppm
    ph 8.5
    nitrite .5ppm
    where did i go wrong shouldent my filtration be able to handle all these fish?
    what should i do know? thanks

Daihonmei
    Joker, tell us
    *about your filter and turn over rate.
    *But before that tell us about your test kit-- how old and how do you store it?
    *and finally, tell us about your water change routine-- how much and how often.
    *Was the pond shut down for the winter?
    JR

Thanks for posting the ammonia and NitrIte levels. Do you have the pH and NitrAte levels?

You have too many fish in the pond. Even though you had the same last year, the fish have grown.

Where do you live and what is your water temp? It's possible your filter hasn't "woken up" from winter yet.

If you put a binder in, that will skew some tests.

How are the fish acting and are the red?

Tosai
    the test fit is a drop test kit from pets mart bought a new one just 3 weeks ago stored in dark place in the garage. the pond turns over 1.5 times every hour. ph level in 8.5 always this high. i live in texas so the water is already 84 degrees. all the fish are looking very normal and the white on the fish is as white as ever.

Tosai
    oh ya and 5 to 10% a week.

Quote Originally Posted by JOKER24 View Post
    the test fit is a drop test kit from pets mart bought a new one just 3 weeks ago stored in dark place in the garage. the pond turns over 1.5 times every hour. ph level in 8.5 always this high. i live in texas so the water is already 84 degrees. all the fish are looking very normal and the white on the fish is as white as ever.
    At those ammonia readings the "white shiroji" in the absence of any veining makes the "new" test kit a bit suspect anyway. First off, get it out of the garage. Unless yours is climate controlled it can get way too hot in there even if it is in the dark.
    Is the test kit dated? Sometimes they sell old stock to clear the shelves and your "new" kit may be a very old one that was in storage since last year.

Tosai
    couldnt find a date and its out of the garage but even the day i brought it home it read ammonia less though

Oyagoi
    explain 2 homemade eric for filtration.
    also where do you add the water for water changes?
    is it city water?

Tosai
    thanks for the help by the way!

Honmei
    A couple of questions. You said you are turning your pond over 1.5 times per hour? Throuugh bio filtration? That is the whole pond volume every 40 minutes. Or did you mean the pond turns over once every 1.5 hours?

The 1.5 is good, the 40 minutes is better but at either of these two rates, either:
    a) your test kit is flawed or
    b) you filters are flawed

By now, in Texas, your filters should be fully charged and ready to handle a heavy feeding regime but yet they are not. Have you added any chemicals that could have affected the biofilm? PP as an example?

I too would be interested in seeing your filters.
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast