Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Sodium carbonate?

Tosai

Sodium carbonate?

Sodium bicarbonate is baking soda...so what's sodium carbonate? can any one tell me please? is it an Ph buffer? My Ph drops from 8.0 to 6.9 within ...a month. What can I do to keep in more cconstant beside adding baking soda one a while to my pond?

Nisai

carbonates

sodium carbonate has the formula Na2CO3, that's two sodium ions and one carbonate ion. sodium bicarbonate has the formula NaHCO3, one sodium, one hydrogen, and one carbonate. baking soda is the bicarbonate. water softner is the other and is called washing soda. do not use washing soda, as it is caustic.

as for maintaining ph levels, there are lots of great ideas. any carbonate source will work well. sea shells, typically oyster shells, in a netted bag in the skimmer or other location with good flow will work and is cheap if you have a free source. plaster of paris molds are recommended in Dr Johnson's book. dolomite is another source, and that's just limestone. if you have limestone deposits around your house, take some limestone gravel and wash well. some people soak the stones overnight in water with treatment that removes heavy metals and contaminates. this one is easy. the ph of concrete and limestone is around 8.4, so your water will approach that value but not reach it.

I agree with Jeff's observations, but I have some questions.

Do you do water "changes" or do you merely "top off" to make up for evaporative loss? For your ph to steadily decline throughout the month would seem to indicate that you are not replenishing the ph with water "changes", which are normally sufficient (and highly advisable for a myriad of reasons).

Tosai

water change

I do water change around 5-10% everyday. my tap water has Ph around 8.5 but somehow my Ph decline over time. I have a bead filter with a 2" discharge. when it comes back to the pond I plit it out with a T and one go to my home made spray bar (trickle) 275 gallons tote. I have around 5 cubic foot of bio ball in the tote and on top of that bio balls I have a washable filter I bought from Eco-Aquatic. My pond is around 7000 gls. I only used this pond for my grow out( Lam watch out for your Green Monster). The other pond I have it's doin fine(I used six 55 gls barrels). Cuold it be the bead filter that make my Ph decline? I think I saw some where ssomeone talking about bacteria using up the bicarbonate, carbonate in your filter ?

That is really odd. With 5-10% daily water exchange and 8.5 ph from your supply the buffering capacity shouldn't decline like that unless you are feeding like a wild man. Oh wait, this is your growout pond and you ARE feeding like a wild man

The bacteria don't actually use up the bicarbonate, but the acids they produce do. Since you are running a TT that is an IDEAL place to use the Oyster shells. Constant trickling flow of water being de-gassed will give you a reactive strata, and a bag in the skimmer circuit like mentioned before won't hurt either. It is still possible you need to use a little B.S. from time to time, but this should help with stability.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Tosai

wild man

Yeah. I feed them like a wild man. I only have 3 fishes in there right now, 4 times in 24Hrs. I guess I have to eat some oyters just to get the shells . some one mentions about chicken grit you can buy at Southern States, wuold it be as good as the oysters?....thank you PaPa, Honmie Bear.

Chicken grit is pretty small stuff, so if you use it in a fine mesh bag you'll need to give it a good "fluffing" on a regular basis. It will tend to plug and obstruct flow very easily if you don't.