Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Dream Ponds koi tanks vs Pearls of Paradise koi Tanks?

Dream Ponds koi tanks vs Pearls of Paradise koi Tanks?

Our club is needing to replace some older koi show tanks. I have seen ads for Dream Ponds that is located in San Jose for about $200 less than the Pearls of Paradise tanks of the same size. Anyone know how the tanks compare or how they are different. Please share any experience you might have.

show tanks

Ray,
    I would suggest your club buy one so that you could make the comparacion
    yourselves. The price is right for what you pay for but for long lasting pearls tanks have the integrity much more heavy duty.
    Louie
    Last edited by Louie; 06-12-2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: spelling

MCA
    Ray,

Also consider 7-8 foot hard tanks...if the club has storage room. They setup, cleanup, and store much easier....of you have the room. They are also likely cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Ray,

Also consider 7-8 foot hard tanks...if the club has storage room. They setup, cleanup, and store much easier....of you have the room. They are also likely cheaper.
    Mike, any idea on where to get these 7-8 foot hard tanks? I have seen them used for QT but just don't know where to get them so any help is much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lam Nguyen View Post
    Mike, any idea on where to get these 7-8 foot hard tanks? I have seen them used for QT but just don't know where to get them so any help is much appreciated.
    Lam,
    Try poly Tank inc @ 800-328-7659 I have 2 that I am useing one is a friend of mine the other i got at an auction at the SDkC show this year. The ones I have are 5' but they make bigger ones.
    Louie

Nisai
    Polytank Website for show tanks: PolyTank, Inc. - Round Flat-Bottom Nestable Tanks

Most farmers co-ops and feed stores carry the round hard blue tanks. Here is the link to brand Atwoods sells.Poly Stock Tanks | Behlen Country

Honmei
    Anpther consideration might be how judging is affected using different shades of "blue" tanks.
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Thanks everyone for the replys. I also got several pms and emails. I really appreciate the feedback.

Nisai

Pearls of Paradise Leak

I know this post is older, but I wanted to comment about an experience I had recently.
    I had purchased a Pearls of Paradise tank from someone second hand that told me the tank had only had a few uses,and otherwise had been packed up out of the sun in a box. I thought, wow, well, if the tank hadn't been out in the sun and only had a few uses it is bound to be in good shape. When I bought it, it didn't have any discoloration like some of them I have seen, and it appeared well cared for. The tank had never been bleached etc. I took it home and set it up. When I filled it with water, I noticed that it was bleeding water from hundreds of little tiny leaks in the material, ALL around the tank. There is no way to Patch something like that. The tank is less than 5 years old. I contacted the original owner, who contacted Pearls of Paradise, who advertises the material they use only loses 15% integrity over 50 yrs exposure to UV. I got the impression they were wanting to make things right, and under the previous owner's instruction returned the tank to Pearls of Paradise, expecting a replacement or a repair.
    I got the tank back after several weeks, which was after the event which I had tried to purchase the tank for in the first place. A couple of the leg slots had been heat treated as they were previously parted somewhat from the side (which wasn't really of concern, but it did make me wonder about the quality of the construction). I filled it up, and if anything, it was leaking even worse than before. I decided I wanted to hear from the horse's mouth, so I called Pearls of Paradise myself, and tried to have an unheated facts based conversation with the lady who answered the phone. I wasn't pointing any fingers, and I genuinely wanted to know if there was a way to fix the material, and I also wanted to know if this was common, and why it happened so I could avoid similar problems in the future. She informed me the tank was 5 years old, as if that was the answer. I asked her how long they were supposed to last, and she said some people had some very old tanks, much older than 5 yrs. I never really got a satisfactory answer as to why this tank was failing at only 5 years with no extensive UV exposure. Seems like a bad batch to me as I have seen much rougher looking tanks that have clearly seen more wear, bleach, and general mistreatment. She offered that it had dried out, but also stated the problem could have been that the tank hadn't been dried before it was folded up for storage. In the end they were unwilling to replace the tank, and in the middle of my asking questions to assess if I was willing to spend $600 to buy a new tank from them (That it now seems to me could fail inexplicably and without any kind of warrantied performance, with very little wear or use). She informed me she needed to go because she was really busy, and that she would call me back, which she didn't do.
    My take on Pearls of Paradise so far is that the quality of their materials must be variable, and they were unwilling to replace what I am viewing as a faulty tank. There must have been a bad batch of the liner material that had insufficient amount of material between the fibers. In my view they are grossly over-priced for what they are offering. I can get an Intex pool with a pump and filter for $100 that is of questionable quality, and will spring leaks in about 5 years of on and off use just like the Pearls of Paradise tank. Usually when you pay a premium price, you expect the product to have some backing in the event of a manufacturer's defect, but I did not find that to be the case. My advise to anyone thinking of spending the money on the Pearls of Paradise tank would be to buy the cheaper tank instead, because the Pearls of Paradise tank may not last any longer, and you can't count on Pearls of Paradise to stand behind their product if it does fail. I'm not really angry, I got my money refunded from the original buyer, but I feel bad for him, and it would take some serious convincing to get me to buy from Pearls of Paradise after this learning experience.
    I know someone who has the Dream Ponds tank, and he said it is great, and he hasn't had any problems. The material didn't look as thick, but it also wasn't bleeding water like wet canvas like the Pearls of Paradise tank.