Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Alien" parasite in tail

Are we sure that red band in the fin isn't natural to the fish?

Don’t Panic. If only one koi out of 47 has such a minor problem, leave him alone until it is obviously doing harm. Since your fish just underwent a high energy event, being moved, one might reasonably suspect injury. Unless the problem worsens, or starts to spread to others, good water with time, and calm are likely the best medicine.

Fry
    I've thought of that myself. But without knowing what I'm dealing with, I hesitate to put the fish under more stress than she's already under. They just underwent the ordeal of being netted and released outside, so they are very skittish toward nets. That said, I'd have to lower the pond level considerably to even stand a chance of catching her again -- the pond is 6ft deep and 15,000 gallons.

So .... you see my conundrum. It's not a "normal" thing we've ever seen in the 12 years of raising Koi.

Could it be a dragonfly larve? Has anyone heard of that? We've had dragonflies laying eggs in the pond about three weeks ago. I know they get large, but will they pupate on the side on an animal?

Fry
    RobF -- that's my thought for now too.

Bighatbulls - the red is inflammation that appeared when the bumps first appeared. However the inflammation is not spreading and is very localized on the tail fin.

I've got a panel of Vets stumped too! Time to think creatively!

Jumbo
    Maybe Lympho (spelling!). If lympho, it is contagious.

stan

Tategoi
    I have no clue but I have seen some koi with stuff similar to that for maybe just like that. And, the koi keeper said its bad lineage.

But I wanted to post this: when you said that it's eating health... I thought why are you feeding them in winter. And dragon fly laying eggs in winter? Weird.

Fry
    Chang26K you may have missed the first part of the thread. My fish live indoors in the winter -- not outside. So they experience no winter -- and therefore eat year round.

It is summer now and dragonflies lay their eggs in the spring. Hence -- the eggs exist in the water with the fish.

I hear your suggestion about lineage, but I don't think this is the case because this condition only started about 10 days ago, and is progressing quickly.

On a further note, a fish vet is stumped too, but says that the alien looks like no water borne parasite he's seen on fish before. He suggests it may be an air-borne creature that has some how attached itself to the tail fin. He's also suggested a PP treatment.

Nick Saint-Erne DVM thinks it might be a fibroma -- or benign tumour. He says to anethetize the fish and remove it along with some of the tail skin and let it regrow.

Quote Originally Posted by SusanTrott View Post
    or benign tumour.
    That was my thought, some sort of carcinoma, malignant or not who knows until it's proven by lab dx.

Quote Originally Posted by SusanTrott View Post
    Chang26K you may have missed the first part of the thread. My fish live indoors in the winter -- not outside. So they experience no winter -- and therefore eat year round.

It is summer now and dragonflies lay their eggs in the spring. Hence -- the eggs exist in the water with the fish.

I hear your suggestion about lineage, but I don't think this is the case because this condition only started about 10 days ago, and is progressing quickly.

On a further note, a fish vet is stumped too, but says that the alien looks like no water borne parasite he's seen on fish before. He suggests it may be an air-borne creature that has some how attached itself to the tail fin. He's also suggested a PP treatment.

Nick Saint-Erne DVM thinks it might be a fibroma -- or benign tumour. He says to anethetize the fish and remove it along with some of the tail skin and let it regrow.
    A biopsy might get to the bottom of it, but I would want my vet to do it, so they could run a series of panels. At least that way you know what you have. I know it can be costly, you got a vet school near by?

Nisai

ask an expert

i may be out of line here, but you might be well served to send your file pictures to Dr. Nick Saint-Erne and ask him what he thinks. he may have seen this before and will have a quick answer for you or can recommend a course of action. it's your call, but as i read him, he is infinitely curious about koi and must might want to talk to you for the scientific value of the discussion. or he will know who to talk to. he is one of the finest vets i have met and conducted our wet lab last month. he's a genius when it comes to koi and ahem---- magic. you can ask about the magic. if you want to contact him, let me know and i'll provide the email address. he's really busy as a corporate director for a major pet store chain; however, he's also a highly professional and curious scientist.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast