Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Something that needs to be stated in plain English

Daihonmei

Something that needs to be stated in plain English

To collect the negatively bouyant particulate in a settlement tank in the filter configuration and not have it collect on the koi pond floor the water speed in the koi pond has to be greater than that in the settlement chamber

Yoda told me that one while I was snorkeling in the lake yesterday

Uh, what happened to the 'plain English' part???

Just kidding.

That makes sense but where does that leave those of us with no SC?

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    Uh, what happened to the 'plain English' part???

Just kidding.

That makes sense but where does that leave those of us with no SC?

Yoda has a settlement chamber
    but i figure you can aspire to the "boiling cauldron" school of thought.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    To collect the negatively bouyant particulate in a settlement tank in the filter configuration and not have it collect on the koi pond floor the water speed in the koi pond has to be greater than that in the settlement chamber

Yoda told me that one while I was snorkeling in the lake yesterday
    While true, unfortuntately that is not the whole story.
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

eds
    Sansai
    Hmm... While I know what you're saying here Luke and agree with the principle in part, if you have a bottom drain of some kind and benched floor, don't you want some degree of settling out on the base of your pond? Hopefully (if the pond has been designed correctly) then the debris will be slowly swept by the current and the actions of the fish towards that drain to be removed from the pond even with a slower flow rate.

Are we talking about neutral buoyancy here?

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by eds View Post
    Hmm... While I know what you're saying here Luke and agree with the principle in part, if you have a bottom drain of some kind and benched floor, don't you want some degree of settling out on the base of your pond? Hopefully (if the pond has been designed correctly) then the debris will be slowly swept by the current and the actions of the fish towards that drain to be removed from the pond even with a slower flow rate.

eds
    in a word
    Nope!
    (well a word and a punctuation mark)

IF a pond allows for some setling then there will be MORE settling in some areas (especially where you really don't want it to settle like in the corners). But if the particulate stays in the water column and the pond truns over at an appropriate rate then the suspeneded particulate should make it to the SC within an hour or two of its existence..and when it gets there if the SC is properly sized for the flow through it then the vast majority of negatively bouyant particulate will fall out in it.
    So there is NO reason to have the flow in the pond adjusted to allow "some settling," negatively bouyant particualte will not hover in the upper part of the ponds water column because of a strong pond current.
    Strong current in the pond just keeps the negatively bouyant particulate from settling out where it can't get to a bottom drain.
    Strong current is relative...i am not considering a current needed to lift lead sinkers off the bottom of the pond, just slightly negatively bouyant particulate from settling on the pond floor.
    More is needed to keep the corners clean than to keep the open floor of the pond clear.

there is a thread that is active right now dealing with what is the correct amont of current..i didn't want to muddy the water on that thread as it was concerned with the correct current for the maintenance of the health and vigor of the koi. So often people here take over another person's thread when inappropriate by diverting the thread because they now have a thought. I think that is pretty damn poor of people to do that.
    While this thread and that thread are about current they should be discussed in their own threads so as to allow a complete discussion on a singular topic.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by kingkong View Post
    Are we talking about neutral buoyancy here?
    How many times do i need to type "negatively bouyant particulate"?

read the very first sentence of this thread

lift lead sinkers off the bottom of the pond
    LOL!

people here take over another person's thread when inappropriate by diverting the thread because they now have a thought
    Uh oh, I think that might be me... I do have a hard time delineating between a straight line of thought and a tangent.