Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Degassing Columns

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    This questions betrays my ignorance with ST. Now that I'm taking heed of MikeM's koi PSA and MCA's advice to err on the side of safety, I should ask how one goes about adding ST. What has kept me from doing so is because I always have the impression I needed to premix the ST with tap water before I introduce the treated water into the pond. I find it impractical and so I don't do it. My water changes range from 5 to 15 percent, hardly much to be fussy about until MikeM's PSA.
    For the level of Chloramine in my local municipal water supply, I use 1 oz. of Sodium Thiosulfate crystals per 1000 gallons of new water added.

So if I do a 500 gallon water change; While I am adding new fresh tap water, I weigh out 0.5 + 10% more (for safety) of Sodium Thiosulfate crystals and then go out and throw the crystals in the pond. No premix.

I also have, prefer, and use Cloram-X powder, which I also do not premix before putting into the pond during water changes.

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    For the level of Chloramine in my local municipal water supply, I use 1 oz. of Sodium Thiosulfate crystals per 1000 gallons of new water added.

So if I do a 500 gallon water change; While I am adding new fresh tap water, I weigh out 0.5 + 10% more (for safety) of Sodium Thiosulfate crystals and then go out and throw the crystals in the pond. No premix.

I also have, prefer, and use Cloram-X powder, which I also do not premix before putting into the pond during water changes.
    I've called my water utility and am thankful to find our water is only chlorinated and not chloraminated. I don't even know what strength of chlorination is used on our water but in a day I expect a reply from Manila Water on that.

Thanks for the tips guys. Ricshaw, why do you prefer Cloram-X? I'm just tempted to go to our local retail chemical sourc to get the technical or USP grade.

I'm also tempted to go on an even safer route and just aid ST daily to my storage tank, commensurate with my daily usage rate, and continue to use my pressure tank to supply new water to my pond. I'm only running the pump at most twice a day, and the cost of operation is minimal. Besides, I also need to keep the water in the storage tank fresh, for emergency use, which has really been seldom. It's good to know I can always add ST to the pond after new water is let in the pond, but since I don't have to bend over backward to premix, I think I'll go the premix route. Either way, before or after water change, the ST will be in effect. If there's a gotcha, would appreciate very much fair warning on it.

Going to the Nitrate Thread- About Denitrification Occurring on Submerged JMats

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    No fundamental disagreement, but I'll get picky and suggest that nitrate is not used. It is the oxygen component of nitrate that is used. So, I'll stick to the notion that oxygen is the prize sought. The nitrogen component is excess and, in effect, discarded. At the surface of the biofilm the nitrifying bacteria are using available oxygen in the process of creating nitrate as a waste product. As the biofilm builds up, an anaerobic underlayer micro-environment comes into existence. Unfortunately, it is not as populated and robust as the aerobic outer layer.

A like process occurs when plants harvest nitrogen from nitrate, but the goal and waste product differ.

Every living thing alters its immediate environment in a manner unsuited to the continued survival of the organism, but other organisms thrive in the waste and work in various ways to create wastes suitable for the others to thrive. Whether a substance is a waste or a resource depends on the perspective of the organism. It is something like the flower that is considered a weed because growing in the wrong place. For some organisms, the oxygen waste product of photosynthesis is detrimental. For others it is an essential resource.

...I think JR gets poetic over biofilm because it is so complex and interactive it tests his gray cells more than most subjects. For most folks, it's just yucky slime.
    Mike, what you describe hear could very well apply to JMats. This would explain why my pond started to get low readings of nitrate. Anoxic regions occur on lower layersnof biofilm, be it on jmats or towers?

Ricshaw, why do you prefer Cloram-X?
    Cloram-X removes Chlorine, Chloramines, and Ammonia. It also makes Ammonia not toxic for 72 hours which makes it good for shipping or transporting bagged Koi to a show.

I buy mine at Jehmco.com.

Thanks Ricshaw. That's good information worth remembering.

Cloram-X removes Chlorine, Chloramines, and Ammonia. It also makes Ammonia not toxic for 72 hours which makes it good for shipping or transporting bagged Koi to a show.

I buy mine at Jehmco.com.

I have used Chloram-X for years with great results. It is more expensive than ST, but I like the idea of binding the ammonia that is released from the breakdown of chloramine that is used in my public water supply.

Rickshaw and MCA, wouldn't it be much better to treat the tap water first, like what PapaBear is doing? I just ordered a fertilizer injector to use in applying dechlor to tap water on its way to the pond. It's a Mazzei 784 model.

Rickshaw and MCA, wouldn't it be much better to treat the tap water first, like what PapaBear is doing? I just ordered a fertilizer injector to use in applying dechlor to tap water on its way to the pond. It's a Mazzei 784 model.
    Just better and more work. Much better would be using treated water for water change from a separate tank.

I do use surface spray as opposed to a submerged fill.

Just better and more work. Much better would be using treated water for water change from a separate tank.

I do use surface spray as opposed to a submerged fill.
    I could do that as well. The only concern I have is during a water supply interruption, I would be getting my water supply from that same storage tank. I don't know the effect of having sodium thiosulfate on my drinking water supply. Moreover, this is more work because I have to climb up the water tank regularly to dose the sodium thio.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819