Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Degassing Columns

Degassing Columns

Aquatic Eco-Systems' Degassing-Columns.

Years ago I saw something like the above in an Aquatic Eco-Systems catalog.
    Years later I saw the article on the Bakki Showers in the May 2004 Mid-Atlantic Koi Club magazine and it was then I decided to build my own "shower tower" out of a 12" x 80 inch tall pvc pipe.

At first, I used a lot of scrap plastic in the tower. Last year I replaced the scrap plastic with big bio-balls and I have noticed an improvement in water quality.

I have no interest in the selling of these... just sharing the information.

What does 'tricking biofilters' for ammonia removal mean?

Daihonmei
    You'r definitely on the right track in your thinking

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong View Post
    What does 'tricking biofilters' for ammonia removal mean?
    A wet & dry bio-filter. Usually more efficient than a submerged media bio-filter.

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    You'r definitely on the right track in your thinking as degassing is the final frontier in advanced koi pond design.
    While the water garden hobby struggles with controling ammonia ( a fairly simple task) the cutting edge of koi keeping as moved thru the issues of organic waste management ( in the late 1990s) and now unto the concept of gas and gaseous waste management in an organically rich environment.

The place to start if one whats to begin their understanding and education in this dimension of water management, think of a pond surface-

In a typical pond, the water is interacting with the atmosphere at that one zone- the surface. Indeed this is not lost on aquaculture in general as volumes have been written the importance of gas exchange in field and earthen dams ponds. But the concept of interaction of atmosphere and water runs far beyond carbon dioxide and oxygen exchange! Oxygen is the very life's blood of a closed system!!!
    Oxygen and gas venting drives alkalinity reserve, pH, nitrification, lack of denitrification, decay rates, ammonia evaporation, venting of nitrogenous wastes in gaseous forms and the metabolic ease in which koi operate.

So when we create a tower system we are accomplsihing many many things. But back on point-- when we create a tower system we expanded the ponds 'water surface' and therefore atmospheric/water interaction ten fold or more.
    Once this has been accomplished we have succeeded in providing a release or leak of all intermeidate waste produces that are in a state of decay or conversion.
    Huge , huge step forward.. JR
    I should confess that my "shower tower" built out of a 12" x 80 inch tall pvc pipe was salvaged from a tropical fish store and originally part of a store salt water filtering system.

Fry
    Did I read that aquatic eco webpage correctly... that the degassing columns they sell handle 150 gallons per minute? dang, I should stop in there and look at it and make myself one

ricshaw, do you mind sharing a picture of the setup you're using?

Quote Originally Posted by mariam View Post
    ricshaw, do you mind sharing a picture of the setup you're using?
    Can you be more specific what "setup" means?

Is anyone certain that ammonia removal by air stripping at the pHs and temperatures and air flow of a koi pond system actually works? The AES write up says of their device says “The hydraulic design and high surface area of these units make them very suitable for "tricking biofilters" for ammonia removal.” Biofilter sure, but significant ammonia outgassing, is not claimed. So when they eariler say "Nitrogen" removed they probably mean N2 not NH3.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Is anyone certain that ammonia removal by air stripping at the pHs and temperatures and air flow of a koi pond system actually works? The AES write up says of their device says “The hydraulic design and high surface area of these units make them very suitable for "tricking biofilters" for ammonia removal.” Biofilter sure, but significant ammonia outgassing, is not claimed. So when they eariler say "Nitrogen" removed they probably mean N2 not NH3.
    I did not interpret it to mean that the ammonia removal was by "air stripping".

Trickle biofilter mean by "biological" means.

And the nitrogen, as nitrAte is still removed by dilution (water changes)? Nature runs the nitrogen cycle from fixation round to denitrifcation and round again using complementary sets of bacteria. Most koi ponders utilize half the cycle at best and then we flush the rest. But this filter looks cool and the price seems reasonable.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast