Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pick the winner...

Sansai
    A bottom kohaku or showa next to her?

Tategoi
    Can't see picture to well, but if I have to choose the showa lower left corner. Can't see any on the top kois to well maybe the ONE is hidden up there somewhere.

Nice!! All very good koi, but when asked which one Grant F. said the showa down the bottom of the pic between the Yama and the Shiro. Nice big head, frame to match, and underdeveloped sumi all over the place. He laughed and said she won't win today, but it's a fish for "tomorrow"

Great guy, and extremely educational show/seminar.

Grant

Grant, thanks for clearing that up!

That was my pick but it was hard to tell from the pic if it was a Showa or Sanke. I thought Showa since it looks like the beginning of Menware but wasn't sure. It seems others had the same problem!

Awesome fish no matter what.

What happened to those fish?

Don, I like that Showa, too but I didn't like the solid black pec.

Tategoi
    bottom right showa/sanke.

Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    Grant, thanks for clearing that up!

That was my pick but it was hard to tell from the pic if it was a Showa or Sanke. I thought Showa since it looks like the beginning of Menware but wasn't sure. It seems others had the same problem!

Awesome fish no matter what.

What happened to those fish?

Don, I like that Showa, too but I didn't like the solid black pec.
    Hi Sandy, some were sold in the show, others returned to their greenhouse. I resisted temptation (getting better and better at that) and left with the two koi I brought, and no "hitchhikers"!

Grant

Sansai
    To be fair, Grant, I'm pretty sure Grant was just talking about the best Showa in the tank - not the best fish in the tank.

We nearly bought the Kohaku with the "J" pattern in the second step, but I wanted Jen to have a say as well. She liked that one and the "two faced" Kohaku (upper side, in the middle, on top) equally. I told her to get Grant and Joel to give her some feedback.

When she told Joel, his eyebrows shot up and he ran over and grabbed Grant Fujita. They came back laughing, saying "we both loved that fish, but we said no hobbyist would pick it - the pattern is too unique. That's a dealer's fish."

After some hemming and hawing, we finally settled on the "dealer's fish" which we're calling "Two-face". The skin quality is superb, I hope we do it justice. That "J" kohaku was pretty nice as well.... And I REALLY liked the Sanke (lower left - unfortunately his tsubo sumi is covered by the tail of the fish on top of him), but, you know...

-t

Quote Originally Posted by webted View Post
    To be fair, Grant, I'm pretty sure Grant was just talking about the best Showa in the tank - not the best fish in the tank.

We nearly bought the Kohaku with the "J" pattern in the second step, but I wanted Jen to have a say as well. She liked that one and the "two faced" Kohaku (upper side, in the middle, on top) equally. I told her to get Grant and Joel to give her some feedback.

When she told Joel, his eyebrows shot up and he ran over and grabbed Grant Fujita. They came back laughing, saying "we both loved that fish, but we said no hobbyist would pick it - the pattern is too unique. That's a dealer's fish."

After some hemming and hawing, we finally settled on the "dealer's fish" which we're calling "Two-face". The skin quality is superb, I hope we do it justice. That "J" kohaku was pretty nice as well.... And I REALLY liked the Sanke (lower left - unfortunately his tsubo sumi is covered by the tail of the fish on top of him), but, you know...

-t
    Yes, you're right. It was the showa we asked about.

So you got the kohaku?? Really nice fish and I think goes back to what Grant was beating his drum about all day... quality, quality, quality with the pattern only worth discussing when you're talking about $20,000.00 dollar fish.

Congrats, that's a nice koi!

Grant

You people are so lucky to have this resource in your backyards. Beautiful koi...drives me nuts thinking about it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pick the winner...-img_6799.jpg  

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by gcuss View Post
    Yes, you're right. It was the showa we asked about.

So you got the kohaku?? Really nice fish and I think goes back to what Grant was beating his drum about all day... quality, quality, quality with the pattern only worth discussing when you're talking about $20,000.00 dollar fish.

Congrats, that's a nice koi!

Grant
    Thanks a lot, Grant! I'm loving watching this fish in the Q-tank. It's the first SFF fish I've owned, and I can see the 'feed me' genes already. I threw a few pieces of Mandu Fu in yesterday. They circled around the tank once, and the two larger canary fish came up and took a look. "Two-face" darted up between them, smacked down the food and bottomed again - like she had brown trout in her genes! I gave them a few pieces again this morning, and pretty much the same deal.

To be honest, I'd be delighted if it turns out half as nice as your avatar Kohaku...

You know, I was thinking. Fujita-san actually seems to have taken a lot of the fussiness out of evaluating fish. It's kind of liberating to just focus on skin, conformation, movement and just let the pattern kind of sort itself out. I thought the "J" fish was a great pattern, but I couldn't stop thinking about that glistening, silky shiroji on Two-face.

But if some money fell out of the sky and into my pocket, I'd go back and buy that "J" kohaku and the big sanke without a moment's hesitation! Did any of the three Showa's get bought (The first one we all liked, and the two that Fujita-san pointed out)?

-t

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast