Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Question: Adding fish to new pond

Nisai

Question: Adding fish to new pond

I have added 2 test pilots to my new pond on tuesday. Now today, 2 days later I still see that they are swimming around quite normally.
    How long would you suggest I wait before I add another fish or 2?
    Is it also safe to assume that my water conditions so far are good enough seeing that the fish have survived the 2 full days in the pond so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I have added 2 test pilots to my new pond on tuesday. Now today, 2 days later I still see that they are swimming around quite normally.
    How long would you suggest I wait before I add another fish or 2?
    Is it also safe to assume that my water conditions so far are good enough seeing that the fish have survived the 2 full days in the pond so far?
    It's never safe to assume the water is fine because the fish survived two days. Do you have a test kit? Test the water first. And assume it will take 6 weeks before the filter bacteria is all the way up to speed, so monitor ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and kH during that time.

Nisai
    I kept 2 of my 25lt bio boosters running on the porta pond thru this entire process. I also got rid of my lesser quality fish and only kept my 7 nicer fish + the 2 I am using as test pilots. The biggest of this lot is a chagoi which is on about 35cm, then have 3 that are touching on the 30cm mark and the other 3 are 15-20cm's. I have a mate who wants the kamikaze's so in a few weeks I will pass those onto him. Currently only have these 9 fish. I have also basically stopped feeding them for the last month where I may just add a few pellets once a week as the chagoi would probably still eat in snow

Luckily I kept my bio boosters with bacteria in them so should be safe with 9 smallish fish in a 30000lt pond with regards to nitrites and ammonia.

When I add the fish on saturday I will be adding 3 x 20kg bags of salt at the same time as well.

Thanks again

Daihonmei
    Carolina G is spot on. As you add fish, they will 'impact' the environment. There is no way of knowing how that is progressing ( postively or negatively) unless you gather information to check ( the tests CG suggests).
    an important point: by the time you 'see' the fish acting strangely it is too late. In other words, always check the brakes on the Jaguar BEFORE you get to 130 miles an hour! JR