Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quarantine Process?

Tosai
    Aha! Putting another fish in with the new one makes perfect sense! Should probably have figured that out earlier lol. THANKS!!! I'll put one of my pond goldfish in with the new one, then. I am pretty good at checking water quality and changing water when needed. I keep fancy goldfish tanks inside, so I have the necessary equipment. Would you recommend using fresh water in the tank, or using water from my pond?

Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    I bought fish from eBay many years ago, twice, and both times the fish arrived with ulcers. Thankfully, they were QT and they didn't infect my pond where it would be very hard and expensive to treat.
    I guess you did not listen or believe what JR said about "ulcers".
    potassium permanganate

But for the risk of KHV, given your circumstances, I think your regular quarantining in the aquarium (or in that trough) is acceptable if not the best. Add a smaller fish to provide some company and cover the sides so the fish does not feel so exposed to light. But, understand that KHV is a risk. From a practical perspective, there is not much you can do about it at this point and still have the new fish. Knowing the source is the first line of defense for avoiding KHV.

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    I guess you did not listen or believe what JR said about "ulcers".
    potassium permanganate

I didn't see this but I understand perfectly what JR's saying. Besides, this happened about 18 years ago. These fish arrived with ulcers. I didn't know if they were caused from water quality or parasite issues. They were going into QT whether they had issues or not because they were NEW. My QT has excellent water quality.

Tosai
    The new fish came looking happy and healthy, so I'm just hoping that looks aren't deceiving. I do wish I could have gotten one from a trusted dealer instead, but for my college budget, so far I'm tentatively happy with this experience. I put him in the quarantine tank with a goldfish from my pond for company, and he follows the gf constantly. The gf is bigger than he is, so it's rather comical lol. He's already eating. One scale seems to be standing out on one side...I figure it's to be expected after a long trip from NC to WI, but should I be more concerned about it, or doing anything for it other than salt and good water quality?

Thanks everyone for your advice. It was really incredibly helpful!!!

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    Koi are schooling fish and do not do well alone. If you only have 1 fish coming, put one of your established fish, even a goldie will do, in with the new fish.
    Kntry has a good point there... One time, I bought 1 koi and quarantined it and looked really lonely, depressed, and lethargic. As soon as I added another fish for it, it seemed a bit livelier and healthier.

Quote Originally Posted by Elinore View Post
    I put him in the quarantine tank with a goldfish from my pond for company, and he follows the gf constantly. The gf is bigger than he is, so it's rather comical lol.
    He's already eating.
    "He's already eating." is a good sign.

Sounds like everything will be alright.

Meg
    Quote Originally Posted by Elinore View Post
    ..... I do wish I could have gotten one from a trusted dealer instead, but for my college budget, so far I'm tentatively happy with this experience........................................ .......................................... One scale seems to be standing out on one side...I figure it's to be expected after a long trip from NC to WI, but should I be more concerned about it, or doing anything for it other than salt and good water quality?

Thanks everyone for your advice. It was really incredibly helpful!!!
    you would want to QT even if from a trusted dealer/source, there are a few hobbiest who have lost a collection thinking they didn't need to worry. nasty to deal with loosing a whole pond.

and with pristine water and lite salt everything should be fine, if more scales get raised shout and I am sure the folks here will help.
    enjoy the new koi! it is always fun when one arrives!

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    If you have a filtered cattle trough, that changes everything!
    Put any new Koi into the filtered cattle trough and put them out into your pond in the Spring.
    Yup. An ideal quarantine setup to carry through the summer and far better than an aquarium as maintaining water quality is so much easier. With the "new" fish and its partner living in it this summer the filtration should be quite well established and healthy when winter arrives (along with the rest of the fish from the pond).

Tosai
    THANKS EVERYONE!!!

I feel so much more confident now. I hate doing something if I'm unsure, but all the help makes me so much more positive!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast