Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Kohaku opinions

Tategoi

Kohaku opinions

The fish was just under 12'' in March and is currently in the mud at Quality; the breeder...Matt all but insisted that it go in. It'll immigrate to Canada in the fall.

Excuse the dirt in the 2nd pic but I thought that pic showed the body slightly better with out the bend

I'm glad that's debris and not sumi on the head! LOL.

I'm supposing that this one will develop similarly as Kohaku I have watched with the same parentage. If so, you can expect those little wispy areas to clean up. The shoulders will be reminiscent of Torazo Kohaku. (Check Ray Abell's website to understand what I mean.) A strong fish with "presence", but not super-jumbo. The strongest trait will be the thickness of the Beni, which will have endurance. ...Hope the 105F heat wave isn't causing problems in the mud, but gives her good growing for the summer.

Tategoi
    Mike with the Torazo development comment do you mean it'll heavy through the shoulder area?

What's the bloodline on this koi?

Tategoi
    A good question that I can't answer. I know that Matt mentioned it in Orlando when I bought the fish, but I'm pulling a seniors moment

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Mike with the Torazo development comment do you mean it'll heavy through the shoulder area?
    "Heavy" may not be the right term, but a strong shoulder. I don't see it having an over-sized hump, but I think the shoulder area will have a rise to it and weight. The first photo shows depth in the rear quarter of the body. In the other Kohaku I'm thinking about that had that trait and similar head structure, the fish developed a very strong body, not a long lithe body. ...Hard to describe in words. Think about Lee's GC ... but don't dream of her ever getting to be 90cm! Not gonna happen. (IMO) I have no idea at what size she will peak, but I'm sure she isn't getting to that size! ...Maybe 70-75cm is a realistic goal? The shiroji will not be brilliant white (except in glamour photos?). My guess is it will be slightly cream. That seems to go with the really thick beni. It is really noticeable when in a pond with a Shiro Utsuri, but not so much in a blue show tank.

Daihonmei
    Torazo kohaku means Dainichi/ Sensuke kohaku right? Only bred by the Torazo house?

JR

Nice fish, by the way, Graham.