Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupidity and Hot Pumps a word to the Not so Wise!

Sansai

Stupidity and Hot Pumps a word to the Not so Wise!

I had an ugly incident this weekend caused by hurrying, not double checking, and dumb dumb dumb!! On Saturday I kinda hurried thru my pond chores as my brother was coming to visit and take an old boat off my hands. Finished up around 2:30pm. Sunday around 10am I noticed my little stream( fed from the skimmers) was not running. We have a gazillion power outages at my house so I figured the power had gone off over night and tripped the breaker when the power came back on. I stuck my head in the filter house to make sure the pump was plugged in( I unplug it to clean the skimmer barrel) and it was. I went to the breaker box and sure enough the breaker was tripped. I reset it and went into the filter house to recheck. The pump- a Performance Pro Artesian1/2-75 was making noise but when I looked into the leaf basket there was no water in there. I looked up and saw that I had forgotten on Saturday to open the inflow valve so I reached over and turned it on. The water hit the pump and FLASHED to steam streaming out around the leaf basket lid and burning my knees. We had cut the outflow from the pump and put a fernco on it in preparation for moving it to set up my shower. The steam pressure BLEW the fernco apart and hit my right arm, side, and breast. I screamed bloody murder and flew out of the filter house. Then I realized my pond was draining thru that busted fixture so ran back in and shut things off and closed the valve.
    Apparently the breaker had just tripped when I found it and the pump had not had time to cool off. Fortunately the only blistering is on the inside of my arm. It is pretty ugly however and whine whine hurts a lot!
    One day I am going to figure out how to make my pond setup IDIOT proof!
    I wish!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stupidity and Hot Pumps a word to the Not so Wise!-img_5450.jpg   Stupidity and Hot Pumps a word to the Not so Wise!-img_5455.jpg   Stupidity and Hot Pumps a word to the Not so Wise!-img_5453.jpg   Stupidity and Hot Pumps a word to the Not so Wise!-img_5456.jpg   Stupidity and Hot Pumps a word to the Not so Wise!-img_5457.jpg  

We all knew being koikichi could be physically demanding, perhaps even a bit strenuous at times as you tackle DIY issues, and certainly mentally taxing as we work to solve problems and balance 'the system'. But dangerous?? Just lucky that steam and/or flying filter parts didn't hit you in the eyes or face.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgeorgia View Post
    We all knew being koikichi could be physically demanding, perhaps even a bit strenuous at times as you tackle DIY issues, and certainly mentally taxing as we work to solve problems and balance 'the system'. But dangerous?? Just lucky that steam and/or flying filter parts didn't hit you in the eyes or face.
    I am oh so grateful that the fernco had been added in just a day or two before. Without that "relief" valve who knows what parts would have blown up and seriously injured me!!!

Tategoi
    Gosh Gloria,

I am so sorry. Burns -- even relatively superficial ones -- are quite painful. The good news is that you are going to be alright.

Many folks might not have ever imagined this sort of a hazard being created via ponding. Thank you for sharing this publically, so that others can learn from your hard-earned experience regarding this sort of situation.

Paul

Gloria, I'm really sorry to hear about your accident. Thank goodness it wasn't any worse but it sure is bad enough. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Sansai
    Thanks! At least I didn't hurt the fish!!

Sansai
    Wow! Those are some nasty burns. Hope it heals as quickly as possible.
    So was this pump esentially running dry overnight? Has it been running as normal since this happened? It's a wonder the propeller didn't distort.

Sansai
    Did the pump start up without sounding funny when you did restart it?

Sansai
    Wow! Those are some nasty burns.
    So was this pump esentially running dry overnight? Has it been running as normal since this happened? It's a wonder the propeller didn't distort.

Meg
    use cool damp rags for relief not ice, skin has enough damage and ice is too cold and counter productive.
    asprin

yikes! ouch!
    lucky, but ouch!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast