Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Swim bladder problems

Tosai
    Well, at least not everyone is accusing me of having a mental illness. By the way, what's a troll (I seriously don't know the term, but assume it's attention seeking)? My neighbor actually keeps horses and I think she has an old trough I could use somehow. Sorry, no camera yet because her son has the camera and is coming by tomorrow. I found a man-made treatment for parasites in general, which besides salt is the only treatment I've used. It's a gel called Ultra Cure PX. I used a bit as an experiment and it's working. He no longer goes belly up at all (he would occasionally do this, then roll back over with effort). The blood in his stool has lessened (maybe), and he's breathing more normally. I've stayed up another night to keep an eye on him. I get to work using a transportation business that is only a dollar to ride places, but the catch is they have to know a day in advance. Wow, two hours drive? I can try the local phone book as there is a larger city 70 miles away that could have a koi club. I don't think so, but can't hurt to check. I thought he would have costia because he had reddened eyes, and he was taking long breaks on the bottom of the tank. I also have heard scraping noises that I thought was just him rooting around in the rocks, but could have been him scraping his belly. The thing that tipped me off was that his fins are clamped to his side except when changing direction, and even then they just dart out. I called a hot line and the fish vet there recommended the Ultra Cure. By the way, the sick koi's name is Godrich. He's kind of unusual in the fact that his body is just bland fish two-tone color, but his head up to the gills and the base of his fins are a metallic gold. The small koi's name is Cedric, which has pretty much no bearing but just thought I'd mention it anyway. KoiCop, just because we live in a digital age doesn't mean everyone has a camera. I know you're probably used to people being able to post photos, but that's still no excuse to give people diseases that they did nothing to deserve. My cell phone camera has always been enough for me, because I never thought I would need to post photos a month or two ago. And I'm hardly going to tell EXACTLY where I live on a public chat site, where people can see anything. I live on the Flathead Indian Reservation in western Montana. Not exactly koi central. If you don't believe me about my koi friend, look up Polson Pet and Seed Co LLC on Google, which should have the owner listed as Beth. Beth won't be there (she fractured her pelvis while riding horses and was flown to Spokane by helicopter) but her assistant will be there(please don't call a ton of times, I don't want to have to explain 100 calls to her). What's with the "they" stuff? I HAVE been trying to get a test kit nearby, but the pet store still doesn't have it in. I'll go to Missoula (the larger nearby city) when I can, but since the transportation doesn't go that far it will be difficult. You know, I came on this website for help. So far, I've gotten some help from nice people, a diagnosis of a mental disease, and insulted multiple times. How is being insulted going to help me? I hardly think that's what the website is for. Hopefully a trough and camera will materialize, but for now I'm going to sleep (he's doing well enough to leave alone for the 3 hours of sleep I'm going to get).

Zoran, can you really blame us? You came here for help.

You were advised to get a test kit ordered ASAP....you don't need a car for this, the mailman will bring it to you. Now 4 days later, you still don't have one and have not ordered one.

You were advised to not feed your fish. You said you were going to anyway.

You were advised to NOT treat for parasites since we all fairly certain it was not parasites but water quality, and you treated for parasites anyway.

You were advised to get the fish into a larger tank with a companion, and you stuck the fish in a smaller tank, all alone.

And now you claim the fish is getting better?

There is not a person on this board who minds helping someone who really does want it and is willing to follow advise. But you have done everything in your power to do whatever you pleased, regardless of the advise.

Click on the link below to send a pm to someone you may be better able (or willing) to pay attention to. He is an "inactive" member of the forum who may be able to assist you. His name is Niji. He is a member of a neighboring tribe as I recall and a self appointed expert in all things Koi.
    http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/privat...o=newpm&u=7036

I haven't been through Flathead country in nearly 30 years. Beautiful country, but the summers are too short and the winters too long for most people. I lived a lot closer to Blackfoot and Wind River country back then and spent a lot of time exploring old Shoshoni hunting grounds for artifacts. Good flint in those parts so arrowheads and the occasional knife were fairly abundant.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Meg
    Larry you beat me! I was going to point him in the direction of Niji.
    someone knowledgable pond side is always the best way to go.

Tosai
    I'm sorry about the feeding thing, its just the only way he'll eat the medicine. He seems better but lonely and kind of depressed. I'm going to clean out my tank completely with my gravel cleaner, and try to put him back in. Sorry about not posting for a few days, my internet isn't that reliable. I found a 150 gallon trough from my local horse store. Its 200$ so I'll be saving up for it. I do have an issue with putting it outside though. I have like 15 raccoons in my neighborhood (if you can call it that), along with at least 3 owls, so need a screen gazebo staked down. No photos yet, as my neighbor's son isn't back yet for some reason. I'll call her again later today. I'm moving sooner than I thought as well. I was going to go to the Victoria (Canada) University, but I didn't get my application in soon enough. I was offered a better job near Thompson Falls, and will be trying to move there within the month. Thanks for the info about Niji, I'll PM him in a hour or two. Sorry about the not taking advice, but I have explanations (if you want to call them excuses, knock yourself out). I don't have a credit card or debit, so ordering things online is not easy. The mailman is also kind of an idiot, and doesn't deliver well. He once even left my 1/4 mile dirt driveway when I was yelling at him to wait a minute. I was trying to feed the koi so that he would eat the medication. I know it's parasites or a virus, since if it was water quality he would be better in like a hour of being in the QT. He has had a companion, and will meet with him again later today in the main tank. He HAS been getting better. He's swimming around sometimes, which is much better than going belly-up on occasion. He's breathing normally, and his fins aren't clamped to his sides very much anymore. I will be sure to talk to Niji about this, thanks again for the info.

Meg
    keep the water quality up...Going into"good" water does not fix things right away...sometimes recovery can happen in a few days in clean waters if the koi isn't to ill. but it can take longer for recovery, sometimes weeks or months depending on how bad the fish got and if really bad it can call for a series of injectable meds.... anyway if the water gets "off" again the koi will have trouble all over.
    glad your koi is doing better, I hope it continues to improve for you

Tosai
    Sorry it took me so long to respond, I was moving. The koi are in a 200 gallon pond and are doing just fine. I was about to contact Niji when I found a new job. Now he's just fine, although he hangs around the bottom more than I'd like. Thanks for your help everyone, and I'll be sure to ask if anything else happens.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234