Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Mud Pond?

Nisai

Question Mud Pond?

Hey, after my first year failures of rearing Koi fry, my dad and I have decided to dig a mudpond in our backyard. I have a lot of space but, I'm planning it to be 30 ft by 30 ft and 1 feet deep.

I will be supplying the fry with daphnia and brine shrimp... I'm not sure how well the feeding will go but I'm guessing I will have a better yield with a mud pond.

Anyways, If anyone would like to give me tips on the mudpond, I'd appreciate it...
    Thanks!!!!

Sansai
    1 ft deep.....NOOOO. It will heat up like a big dog

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruth Rice View Post
    1 ft deep.....NOOOO. It will heat up like a big dog
    Good Point.... Hmm... I have to hand dig it myself so I guess I can go up to 1.5 ft hehe.... But I'll add lots of aeration and it will have shade by noon from trees.... Any other suggestions?

Sorry, if you're going to put the effort into doing it, do it right. That's not deep enough.

Do you know what kind of dirt/soil you have? I learned the hard way. We dug a 30x70x5' pond and the entire thing was nothing but sand. We had to truck in 420 yards of red clay to seal it. If you don't have clay, it's not going to hold water.

Managing a mud pond is an entirely different animal than liner ponds. You'll need aeration and you'll have to monitor the pH, alkalinity and hardness daily till it gets established.

Critters love mud ponds so be prepared to have coons, mink, otters, Egrets, Herons, Kingfishers and the neighbor's ducks in your pond.

Mud ponds are great but they don't come maintenance free.
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    Sorry, if you're going to put the effort into doing it, do it right. That's not deep enough.

Do you know what kind of dirt/soil you have? I learned the hard way. We dug a 30x70x5' pond and the entire thing was nothing but sand. We had to truck in 420 yards of red clay to seal it. If you don't have clay, it's not going to hold water.

Managing a mud pond is an entirely different animal than liner ponds. You'll need aeration and you'll have to monitor the pH, alkalinity and hardness daily till it gets established.

Critters love mud ponds so be prepared to have coons, mink, otters, Egrets, Herons, Kingfishers and the neighbor's ducks in your pond.

Mud ponds are great but they don't come maintenance free.
    I have Georgia red clay everywhere... It's going to be right in my fenced backyard so I'm trying to keep it low profile. How would I maintain, the alkalinity and hardness? What do I add? Also, I have not seen any Heron's nor racoons anywhere so I don't think that will be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by poisonXvenom View Post
    I have Georgia red clay everywhere... It's going to be right in my fenced backyard so I'm trying to keep it low profile. How would I maintain, the alkalinity and hardness? What do I add? Also, I have not seen any Heron's nor racoons anywhere so I don't think that will be an issue.
    You haven't seen them "yet" because you don't have a large pool of water filled with fish to attract them like a magnet "If you build it they will come" is true, and at 1' to 1.5' deep it will be a wonderfully shallow buffet for every critter that happens to fly over.

1' to 1.5' deep is not a mud pond....it's a mud puddle. Add add aeration and it will truly be churned up into a thick mud puddle. You need to go much, much deeper. Be prepared to net the whole thing too. At that shallow depth, a wading bird can just walk around the whole thing and eat all the fish. And the shade trees in the yard won't shade the whole pond. In Georgia heat, the fish will cook in there.