Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: skin flukes

Sansai
    Picture of my Sanke that I found in the bottom of the pond. Was a good eater.

Sansai
    trying to upload pic of my sanke.

Sansai
    Thanks for your help and for the Insight.

I didn't trust the input I was getting. That is why I have turned here to this forum.
    The only reason I did not turn here sooner is My husband "trust" the advise given to him by another Koi club person. (last year's Koi club president)

We were told the reason the koi died because of the skin flukes by that person. and we should put in prazi and preform C and it will take care of this issue. And all my koi wil be ok.
    another issue. my gut is telling me what I'm told to do is wrong as well.
    I am told only to use the sodium thoisulfate st crytals to use as my dechlor. and not even a handful for 15% water change.

Please teach me. I, too do not enjoy seeing my Koi dying EITHER.

JR will not steer you wrong.

How long have you had these fish? You mentioned you had KHV. Did these fish come from the same dealer? How did you disinfect your pond, filters, nets, etc. after the KHV?

Sansai
    I did not get these Koi from the same dealer as before. Yes, we have treated our pond. Since we bought everything New. New liner, filtering system, etc..and etc.

The first thing I thought when looking at the Kohaku photo was "this was a very good quality fish". I know we're supposed to care equally about the mutts, but quality carries added value and that increases the sense of loss.

What JR explained about the parasites and how they open up the Koi to what really kills them is what too many people just don't get. To draw a human parallel, think of "Lockjaw".
    We were all told when we were children that if we stepped on a rusty nail that we must tell our parents so they can get us a Tetanus shot to prevent Lockjaw.
    Lockjaw does not come from Nails.
    Lockjaw comes from the Bacteria Clostridium tetani.
    The nail opens up the wound and the bacteria just goes along for the ride.

Parasites like flukes, anchorworms, etc... are much like the nail. They open up a wound path and then become a vector for disease to enter the Koi that otherwise could not gain access. The fluke is a mere annoyance in most cases while the aeromonas is a killer.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Sansai
    Thank You for the explanation. Last year, I learned a lot about KHV, and I guess this year is "aeromona infection".

I still don't get it though, I am trying very hard.

Thanks for the complements on the Koi that is BEING killed (not out of my desire!!!) They are from Mr. Shintaro from Japan.

I feel like with my Koi Club is...blind leading the blind.

Daihonmei
    well this is what meetings are for - for the collective group to share what's working and what's not. To compare notes. And to share sources of good information. I assume your club is an AKCA member? If so, tap into their book store or other information sources. I shutter to think this is a ZNA chapter also but if it is drop me a private message and I'll see what I can do to help. JR

Sansai
    This involves topical disinfecting with betradine and an antibiotic sav in orabase.

from JR, Please explain this a little better.

I'll let JR explain but as he said earlier, it also involves injections and water quality. Without the water quality, all the injections and doctoring aren't going to help.

Keeping water/koi is a journey. Unfortunately, it takes time and a lot of study. On the up side, koi are very hardy if you give them good water.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast