Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: skin flukes

Sansai
    I have been doing water changes of 15% a week. (it is a new pond). So, that's not enough?

Sansai
    JR,
    As per sending you a private messages, I am not able to. It says you have exceeded your stored private messages. Can not accept further messages.

Thanks.

Doing water changes is only 1 part of the equation. Your filter system has to be up to handling the fish/feeding load and it has to be cleaned at least once a week. The pond bottom has to be kept clean. The water that you’re adding for water changes has to be good also. Usually when you have these kinds of problems, it’s due to water issues after the bugs start the process. Plants, rocks, mulm on the bottom all give bugs and bacteria a place to thrive, just waiting for the stressed fish to come along.
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

Sansai
    is topical disinfecting with betradine and an antibiotic sav in orabase = to tricide-neo?

I think it is time for an update on your pond. You were talking about installing a new filtration system last year after the KHV wipeout, but I don't recall seeing what you eventually decided on. Did you go with the FRP system we talked about along with the savio skimmer and UV's? Details matter and knowing what you really have makes a difference when it comes to maintaining the entire pond system for the greatest benefit of the Koi.

The Betadyne cleansing is done under anesthesia with betadyne on a q-tip, thoroughly scrubbing the infected areas to remove any and all necrotic tissue and thoroughly disinfecting the area.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Topical treatment is not all that is needed. I have had a lot of success with tricide neo for small localized infections, but your fish look like the infection is not confined to just one spot. It looks systemic. Those fish really need injections. A swab needs to be done to determine which bacteria you are dealing with and then a vet needs to get the right antibiotics for that bacteria. Are many of the fish affected?

Sansai
    Yes PaPaBear, You do remember the questions asked about our pond system my husband asked. He is working, I do not know all the details about the pond. but I can load up the pictures.

Sansai
    some pictures of my pond. More to come...

Sansai
    CG, as per your question. No other Koi are affected as of now. Did another 15%water change last night on my own.

Here is what my husband did re: our pond. It was talked over with last year's Koi president. This is the direction given.

Our pond might have been better if (last year's president didn't bring over all he's koi egg and it was put in my pond) don't know. everything was going well, I believe until then.

Sansai
    I guess, I'm having trouble uploading my pics!!!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast