Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: skin flukes

It seems to me that the photos are showing the external symptoms of an internal infection. But, it is guesswork on my part, so don't assume I know what occurred.

It is always problematical to determine a cause for an internal infection. It is possible the root cause lies in the transport and handling of the fish before they were purchased, although having them for 2 months would seem to negate that. But, if they were acquired at the end of May and symptoms of the fish isolating itself and not having appetite showed up within a week or two of acquisition, then a pre-purchase condition could stay on the list of possibilities. On the other hand, an internal infection can arise from minor injuries and take a while to progress to the point of obvious problems.

Sansai
    Thanks Mike M, For what you pointed out and the way you said what you said. Kinda made me feel better, from all the lash.

I know, I sound unsure and unexperienced. But my passion for the living jewels outweighs that.

I'm told that my dealer guarantee's my koi.

I just send a email out to him to let him know my Kohaku died over the weekend and never ate well and always was skiddish.

re: our pond system. Everyone looks at it and says it was done perfect.

My water tests show perfect on the dot. all the other little guys are ok. We did have a visit from a herron, but they are recovering well. even two lttle guys got poked, & No infection on there part.
    one lost it's coloring.

the Sanke was lost, a jab from a herron (I'm told)

But the Kohaku???

Thanks for letting me vent to here & I need some air to clear my head.

I’m sorry if it seems like we’re “lashing” at you but we aren’t. There are some questions that we need answered so we can try to help you. Like your tests being perfect doesn’t tell us a lot. We need the numbers.

I can’t believe your past pres. brought his koi eggs and put them in your pond. Did you give him permission to do that?

I’m really sorry you lost the Kohaku. She was very nice.

Sansai
    PaPaBear, My wife and I appreciate your kind directions re: our Pond.

someone said it would be "too much filtration". and we went this direction.

Wife is ready to kick my butt.

Here is my pond.

Pond: total -6,000gal pond.

7,000 gal per hr pump pulls from bottom drain & skimmer into a aqua uv 6,000 filter then into a 120 uv light back up into a bio falls.
    Bottom drain has a 300 micron sieve as a prefilter before the bead filter.
    Koi toilet also has air pump hooked up to it.

a 2" return line also dumps a small amount of water back into the upper plant pond (reduced to 1" at end)
    plant pond has a 4" bottom drain that empties back into main pond.

Pland pond is housing the koi fry & plants as noted by wife. main pond has 7 of 7-8 inches. we culled some tobies and put it in our inside tank in the basement.

water test shows today.

Gh -60
    kh-80
    ph-7.0
    no2-0.5
    n03-20

How do I improve my water quality.

wife did 15% water change last night, and another today.

no salt.

Thank You.

Steve & Lori
    sav3406

Sansai
    Our pond is new. Very new.

Our Koi was bought in end of May.

We put our fish & plants first.. and then the eggs from earlier as noted was put in our pond.

was this too much, too soon.

We were told by our club that our pond is ok and can handle the fish. It was running for two weeks before the all 9 Koi came. We asked if we needed to do a water change before we put them in. were told no.
    salt? -told no. anything else we are forgetting? said no.

Re: our club. last month was the slide of someone's pond is our club.
    month before, plant auction. Month before talked about the "auction".
    I think, you can see where this is getting at. Isn't there supposed to be some kind of education? There is so much to learn re: Koi & Koi keeping.

Current president. at our "auction" There were some public members who came over and had questions re: Koi and wanted to know more, and the Current president said.."Oh,no..."I'm what you call a Koi snob"

How am I supposed to learn from that???

so, Please help.

Lori

Sansai
    we are told we have sap, and we need to us proform c. knock out the koi by using clove oil. and scrape off the fungas ten swab the are with the proform c.

How much, how often, with this proform c?

Thank you!

Lori

Sansai
    It is never easy loosing the battle.

Sansai
    oh, I don't know if it was mentioned. I cleaned out the plant & fry side of the pond. all the "junk" dumped into the main pond.

Husband wants to keep some kind of mesh on the drain of this pond (it's been there since the fry got hatched) so the fry don't get dumped into the main pond and get eaten by the other Koi.

I don't think it is a good idea. all the junk get collected through out the days and etc... onto the mesh. Husband said I better not touch the mesh again, after I cleaned the pond. he took it very personal.

Why Koi does that to us???? today, feeling a little clear then the other day. sorry.

I had the mesh off all day, The Koi fry are smart and stayed away from the drain. They can feel the pull of the water.

I bet, this isn't helping our water quality & condition. True???

Who is with me...

Do the other fish look like the Kohaku that you posted? Those are ulcers, not SAP. Sap is "fuzzy green cottony" looking growth on the fish which grows on a wound. I don't see that on the Kohaku.

I don't know who your club prez is or what club you're in but please stop listening to their advice.

You're going to have ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite spikes on a new pond with a large fish load added. Salt will help with the Nitrite problem till the biomedia matures and you can add Amquel for the ammonia. Water changes are going to be your best friend for a while.

Can you post pics of what you're seeing on the fish?
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

Sansai
    One of my showa had some green algae growth on top fin, the some the fin has some questioanable fin rot of some kind.

I gave a salt bath at 1.75 in a tub. it freaked out, so the fish went back in the pond after less then 30 seconds.

what should I have done in this situation.

I ordered prazi for the flukes. and I'm told we have another issue. that is the sap-water issue.

I'm not told how to correct this matter.

Help!

I'm not trying to put my club down. I need the people in it. Maybe, I'm the one who is. out of my frustrations...please forgive me club.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast