Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: skin flukes

Quote Originally Posted by sav3406 View Post
    I did another water change of 20% last night. So, that will be three days in a row of 20% water change. am I wrong??

I thought water change(s) was good and needed more, when N02 & N03 is a little off like mine is.

I was told by club person, that I have done enough water changes for good three weeks. I am not allowed to do anymore water changes. I ran out of Dechlor for now anyways.
    When a pond is well established and healthy large water changes of this frequency are not needed. You have a young pond that is "going through puberty" so to speak. Nothing is well established, your fish are under stress due to various ailments and "not fully cycled filtration". That means you must perform above normal maintenance. Add to that the fact that you have some oddities currently going on in your pond (restricted bottom drain from the small fry pond to the main pond) and there are a lot of extra needs for you to contend with.

Once your filtration is fully established and you can agree to remove the screen from the bottom drain on the fry pond things will begin to settle down, your Koi will heal more quickly, and your pond will become far easier to maintain and ENJOY.

In the meanwhile, the extra effort (and water changes) will serve you well.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Sansai
    My husband told me I can't do a water change until Thursday because of the first dose of meds went in. Two more dose is supposed to come within weeks I guess. The uv light is off.

I hope this will not make things worst.
    And hope my filtration can handle this as well.

Is there anything I should be looking for.

I put on the air bubbler for more oxygen.

Sansai
    Thank You PaPaBear and of course can't forget all of the wonderful people who are trying very hard to help me.

Haven't slept well, worrying about the balance of my pond.

When you medicate the entire pond you must follow the instructions for the medications. If you do a water change before they've had time to cycle well and do their work it all comes to naught, and that isn't what we're after is it
    Testing the water right now won't do you much good but the added aeration will. One of the problems people experience when medicating a pond is oxygen deprivation as certain meds tend to deplete oxygen from the water. Maintaining high O2 levels will aid the Koi while the medication kills parasites.

Sansai
    mu husband put up a shade sail tonight. Hope we are moving in the right direction.

Meg
    put aside the micro lift and let your pond cycle on its own. that stuff will not hasten things along.

keep breathing.
    how are the fish doing?
    why is the uv light off? it doesn't purify the water but clear water does let you see how the koi are doing.

Sansai
    the meds are very dark. I'm not supposed to do a water change for a week on this first dose. That being next Thursday.

the other dose(s) of Prazi, not worring about how the Koi & pond will handle that yet. I Hope they both make this first dose with out the water changes...

the UV lights are off due to directions on the meds. The Koi are "acting" like they want to eat, they are going all over the pond as if they are looking for food. but not eating. So, started to cut the feeding.

My husband thought so too, but he gave in and fed the fry.

I have ordered all new UV lights, and things. I don't know if they were working or not. But I want to be sure after the treatment is over.

The Showa's ( seven of 7"-8") are swimming all around the pound, I find them going in and out of the skimmer. My husband cut the "pull" from the skimmer and is pulling full force from the bottom drain. find a lot of algae from the bottom drain box to clean. ( don't know what you call it)

Meg
    not feeding them is a good idea while you are treating the pond and can not do water changes! see you are learning!
    and you taught me something, I did not know there were med treatments that you should turn off the uv light for! glad you read all the directions!

and it is always the guys who are the softies and cave into the kids...and the pets!

Sansai
    I told My husband, I would like the plants out of the pond. He removed three 0f 2"-3" pots out. He likes the "plants" because the last years president has Plants in his pond too.. and he is the one who..never mind, I won't go there.

Plants for sale... please remove them from pond when we are not home so, I won't get in trouble and push my husband's bottons.

..it's free. and take the mesh with you too...( in where the fry are kept)

Lord, Have mercy on me.

Sansai
    oh, the mesh is being hold down by some concret blocks.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast