Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Update on KHV research in Australia

Update on KHV research in Australia

For those following the progress on the KHV research in Australia, I have been in communication with Wayne Fulton, Principal Scientist at Fisheries Victoria/CSIRO

The latest:

- There are no effects on native species (Murray Cod & Golden Perch). Other native species will be tested this year including galaxiid and a salmonid.

- Carp-goldfish hybrids show reduced susceptibility.

The project is now under review for continued funding and I expect a good case will be put forward.

The carp-goldfish hybrid study is a significant one as much of the Australian science literature identifies this as a possible source of resistance should the use as a biological control become a reality. You may recall I posted about fertility rates in the hybrids on NI last year.

Oyagoi
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbradleybradley View Post
    For those following the progress on the KHV research in Australia, I have been in communication with Wayne Fulton, Principal Scientist at Fisheries Victoria/CSIRO

The latest:

- There are no effects on native species (Murray Cod & Golden Perch). Other native species will be tested this year including galaxiid and a salmonid.

- Carp-goldfish hybrids show reduced susceptibility.

The project is now under review for continued funding and I expect a good case will be put forward.

The carp-goldfish hybrid study is a significant one as much of the Australian science literature identifies this as a possible source of resistance should the use as a biological control become a reality. You may recall I posted about fertility rates in the hybrids on NI last year.
    Thanks for the update. I fully expect some states here will begin to review the virus as a potential biological control method on common carp. Carp are a scourge, no doubt. But I am ambivalent about using viral pathogens as selective fish killers.

I worked with carp x goldfish hybrids awhile. They are considered a delicacy at Chinese New Years and are sold (in California) as "silver carp." Not to be confused with the filter feeding Chinese carp, these hybrids are sold in the markets at about 500 grams (same as tilapia) and are a traditional favorite. Koi x goldfish hybrids were produced by our state hatcheries for a very long time as food for their bass breeding stock. Nowadays they only do straight koi for that purpose (wonder who gave them koi?) The hybrid still interests me as a potential fish to produce for market as it does fetch a much higher price than tilapia.

I know that research here has tied KHV to goldfish, but only in the carrier state. I do not beleive any research into the virus and the hybrid has been done here. Interesting idea.

Can the carp x goldfish (an cross genera and not just specific hybrid) reproduce, and most especially, back cross (say carp x to the hybrid) and have viable offspring?

Once released, I must beleive that the carp popualtion will eventually develop tolerance on continue on. I doubt this wold result in eradication.

I surely would like to know more as it comes out.

Thanks bradleybradley,

Brett
    Brett