Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Weak' Pecs on Yamabuki Ogon

'Weak' Pecs on Yamabuki Ogon

I remember reading recently that Yamabuki Ogon frequently suffer from 'weak' pectoral fins, a trait that should be looked for and avoided when purchasing.

While moving my new Y.O. from QT to the main pond the other day, I noticed a split right pec. I'm hoping it heals and fills back in over time as the fish is still just a tosai. But I'm curious, does the alleged 'weakness' refer to the size of the pecs in relationship to the over all body confirmation, or refer to 'strength', and in this case, fragility of these fins?

On the other hand, it seems the dorsal on many Yamabuki Ogon I've observed appear unusually erect and 'strong' looking. Perhaps that is simply a bit of an optical illusion due to the bright, opaque coloration found in good Ogons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 'Weak' Pecs on Yamabuki Ogon-p1020445.jpg   'Weak' Pecs on Yamabuki Ogon-p1020446.jpg  

"Weak" pecs generally refers to size being in balance with the overall body conformation of the Koi. Small pec fins just don't fit the frame one hopes for with a nice Ogon. As to the tear, the healing ability of Koi fins is one of their amazing little wonders. A minor tear like this will heal in no time given a healthy environment alone. Good water and food will clear one up like that in a matter of weeks in my experience.

Ditto what PB said.

Best wishes,

Thanks, fellas. It will interesting to see just how quickly that torn fin fills back in. I've seen it happen to many a beautiful fish during shows, and guess it's just one of the hazards of netting, bagging, etc.

During the Omosako grow out here, I bought a Shiro that had a split all the way to its body. Everyone was afraid it wouldn't heal. Within a month, I couldn't tell it had ever been split.

BTW, a very nice Yami!

Thanks, kntry, it's very encouraging to hear a split fin like that has a good chance of recovery.

That little YO sure isn't anything special, in fact it's just one of Eastern's $50/five inch tosai I picked up at the Orlando, FL show in March. But I had some expert help in my selection process from David Hardcastle of the Gainesville Koi Club, who was kind enough to browse through the tub with me and try to pick out a good 'un. I'm still pretty new at this, but watching a young fish develop and trying to help it reach it's full potential has really become quite addictive. I'd sure like to join you all in the next big grow-out where I can improve the quality of my 'herd' a bit and have some fun doing it at the same time.

Well, from the looks of things David set you on a good path with this one

So, tell us what he told you when he picked this one out ahead of the others in the tank. I'm sure he used it as a "teaching moment" and no doubt you have some observations on what he said then compared to what you are seeing now

Sure Papabear. But please keep in mind I'm really just starting with quality koi selection.

What he told me to look for first are really the basics of any good koi (confirmation, 'balance' in the tail-tube, good fin articulation and size relative to overall body mass, nice 'movement', etc.). Don't just look for the 'bling' in color and pattern -- that comes later ---- body and composition always first.

Specific to Yamabuki's, he said to not worry too much about coloration within limits. In fact, the 'lighter' the lemon yellow cast, the better. Being a neophyte, I would have surely gone for the brightest, boldest yellow, of which there were several, in that tub. I imagine this is very basic to most koi keepers, but I learned that 'patience' for the bright golden color to come on a Y.O. is the most important thing --- pale almost bordering on platinum is preferred when the fish are quite young. Of course, this fish could still 'bolt' on me and go too yellow too fast as it is barely 10 inches long now. As in all living things, there are no 'guarantees'.

He also viewed a nisai YO I was admiring in another tub, and at a price many times the tosai in the photo. It was gorgeous, but I was warned it was already 'too yellow' for it's size and age. And upon much closer inspection, a few of the scales were also showing the tell-tale beginnings of orange specs.

Speaking of 'teachable moments', beyond Yamabuki Ogon selection, the best thing I think I learned from David is his encouragement to really 'prowl' the show. I learned more about koi in the several hours I spent there than I could on my own in months of study. Listening to more experienced koi keepers, and asking questions when it was appropriate, and encouraged, was both very enlightening and enjoyable. I plan on attending many more shows over the years to come, and will go expecting to learn as much as I can. By and large, I've noted some of the best koi ponders in my area also seem the most avid to teach and answer questions, and always with great patience for what has to be the many repeated inquiries.

So Papabear, in your experience, what would you add to the finer points of YO selection?

Meg
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgeorgia View Post
    Speaking of 'teachable moments', beyond Yamabuki Ogon selection, the best thing I think I learned from David is his encouragement to really 'prowl' the show. I learned more about koi in the several hours I spent there than I could on my own in months of study. Listening to more experienced koi keepers, and asking questions when it was appropriate, and encouraged, was both very enlightening and enjoyable. I plan on attending many more shows over the years to come, and will go expecting to learn as much as I can. By and large, I've noted some of the best koi ponders in my area also seem the most avid to teach and answer questions, and always with great patience for what has to be the many repeated inquiries.

you couldn't have said it better!! not until going to a show did I understand why it is always told to someone new to koi "get to a show"

You are a good student sir
    Everything you said is exactly what I would have hoped to hear, and it proves 2 things. David is every bit the good teacher you describe and you are a very observant student
    Good on you for being so observant regarding the top hobbyists around you.
    This hobby is filled with great people and its nice to hear you say it to well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast