Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: July Color -- SoCal style . . .

Oyagoi
    more orchid pics to drive me and wife nuts. now to get ours to rebloom.
    been 1 year when we started adding them to our house.wel actually Lari from the famed Bruce and Lari pett goldfish people brought one down a year ago for Shawna for her b-day .they brought her another one this year for the big 40 party this year.
    so now have one blooming again

just love orchida and now need to get them to rebloom.

Meg
    orchids for a birthday...much better than a frog ..........

Quote Originally Posted by pskorf View Post
    more orchid pics to drive me and wife nuts. now to get ours to rebloom.
    been 1 year when we started adding them to our house.wel actually Lari from the famed Bruce and Lari pett goldfish people brought one down a year ago for Shawna for her b-day .they brought her another one this year for the big 40 party this year.
    so now have one blooming again

just love orchida and now need to get them to rebloom.
    Paul, most orchids bloom only once a year. All of my phals bloom in December and January - I really wish they'd space it out a little more.

Oyagoi
    Quote Originally Posted by lypope View Post
    Paul, most orchids bloom only once a year. All of my phals bloom in December and January - I really wish they'd space it out a little more.
    guess i have to learn patience

in koi i need to learn it also over several years but at least koi can show some growth or development of color to help ease my mind that something is happening.

i can wait (maybe) esp if they bloom during winter would be ideal for us.right now i can enjoy outside flowers and when the snow flies hopefully the orchids will bloom to get me over the snow white fever.

Sansai

Phalenopsis

Mine, in MI and NY have about a 7 mos spread when they will bloom, from late dec through june, but, they also hold the blooms for 4 mos or more, so the early winter ones are usually still on til spring while the spring ones are in bloom actually into fall, so I usually only have 2-3 mos without any blooms,

also, there are many companies raising them and 'forcing' them for an off season blooming and usually one will stay on the blooming cycle it first blooms in. I like all orchids but the Phalenopsis is the one that does well in our houses up here,right now we have tall large ones blooming and a number of little minis that our grocery chain has been featuring, they are in a sunporch now and will come into the living room in fall and will be under timed lights over the winter.
    Last edited by Jake Levi; 08-02-2010 at 06:36 AM. Reason: spelling
    Jake Levi
    Oswego, NY

We are all in this together

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone. Glad you enjoyed the pix.

Tip wise, buy a good orchid book. Ours (by Northern; first published in 1950) is still our Bible. Second, once you've figured out the light and temp variables, fertilizing weakly weekly with the appropriate food can make the 'alive vs. thrive' difference.

Found the drawings for the shade house last night, Paul; will post 'em.

Best wishes, Don

With our mild climate and the coastal low fog here close to the ocean, cymbids, the oncid/ondont alliance, dendros (and even some B/L/C's) do well in the shade house.

Here's a pic of it in its glory days (mid 90's) as well as the drawings for anyone interested.

Note: My father-in-law convinced me that 2 lags bolts per joint was grossly over-engineered, so we switched to one per. Otherwise, it went up as designed and has weathered a lot in the almost 20 years since.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails July Color -- SoCal style . . .-dsc06516.jpg   July Color -- SoCal style . . .-dsc06513.jpg   July Color -- SoCal style . . .-dsc06514.jpg   July Color -- SoCal style . . .-dsc06515.jpg  

At one time I had over 100 cymbidiums - my mother had 500+. Coastal Southern California has to be the best place in the world for cymbidiums, warm summers with cool nights and just enough cold in the winter to really set the buds. I moved quite a few to Arkansas when I moved here; they do not do well here at all. It's just too hot in the summer and they are not at all happy indoors in the winter. All my other orchids have done well here, but I had to give up my cymbidiums. I sure miss them!
    Lynda

Meg
    Don
    I don't see the apricot or fig trees in the current picture...or the pond in the sketches.
    things have changed

Fry
    colorful flowers you got there... How about some pond pictures, PLEASE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast