Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Koi Net $40

I appreciate the comments. The first net I made I used the pocket (or sleeve) around the perimeter of the net. Of course this works but it wasn’t easy to sew. If you tack it and sew it with a machine it shouldn’t be too hard (although there are some triangular fabric pieces at the angles that you will have to deal with). When you go to slip the completed net with a sleeve onto the frame be sure to have thought out just how you are going to do it (best not to completely glue the octagon until the net is on). The hanging net also goes around the frame and so unlike the glued net it does present an additional hazard in that regard. As I say I too expected the slip on net to be better until I built both.

The first net I built I didn’t make it quite deep enough, the second one with a depth of about 9” seems to work about right.

I have looked at the fabric shops for net material and what they have, tule and lace, could make a pretty net but not the safest or most efficient. An upholstery shop hadn't occured to me.

If you build one be sure to give us some feedback. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    I used the 3/16” knotless nylon net the but the larger weave ¼” that is available from the same source (AES) and would probably be better. The net material is the only item on Shiro Muji’s parts list that is somewhat hard to get, everything else is at Home Depot. The netting should be knotless and that is the trick to find and get it at a low cost consistent with the overall concept. So if someone knows where to get net material with a wider space that would be worth posting.
    Try Memphis Net & Twine
    http://www.memphisnet.net/category/knotless netting.

Here's my DIY nets. I bought the net fabric & lashing when I was in Japan. Then I use aluminum rod and bent it around to the shape. About 6" tail to connect to the wood. I routered a little groove in the wood pole. Then on that 6" tail, I flattened the aluminum with a big hammer and then drilled through it to the other side and connected a pin through the aluminum. I heat a peice of 1" schedule 20 pvc pipe and slip it over the end and then black electrical tape to seal it up.

I use these nets every day for selling koi and they work awesome. The aluminum is lightweight and moves through the water very fast. I use the short net to catch fingerlings very easily.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Koi Net -p8170038.jpg   DIY Koi Net -p8170039.jpg  

These are all great ideas. Thanks for sharing them. I do realize the sewing part would be tricky, but I do believe it would work. I am considering all advice, because the nets I have are way too short for what I need.

Greg, Nice nets! Classic looking nets for DIY. Although I went with pvc for the frame it is obvious that most nets use metal. For the Shiro Muji I opted for pvc because it is readily available at a familiar source (Home Depot) where a 7’ long aluminum rod is not and bending it seemed problematic. A metal hoop has the advantage of strength to rod diameter. And the narrower rod will create less drag than the wider pvc. Drag of a circular net or a similar octagonal net is less a matter of the frame size and more a matter of the effective area the net as a “paddle” shape presents (so as was pointed out earlier bigger spaced netting is better in this regard). In many ways metal is better than pvc, but the improvement , from what I initially perceive as added difficulty, may not be especially great in a DIY net. I see that you attached your netting using spiral wire for attachment. I’ve built small net using these techniques. Bigger koi nets often shield this with a plastic sleeve. In using the spiral wire attachment have you had any trouble with slippage (spiral wire does not work well for Shiro Muji), etc?

There was a local store that had the Aluminum rod, but I could see where it might be hard to find. I see Home Depot only carries it in 36" lengths.

Bending it was no problem. I used a 55 gallon drum as a template. Then put the rod in my vice and hammered down the 6" tails.

No slippage problems whatsoever. Ive been using these nets for 6 years and the only problem I had is a mouse ate a small hole in one while it was setting overnight.

I'm thinking of using window left-over window screen

Window screen sounds a bit too rough and too fine a mesh. A giant crocheted doily however now that would be impressive!

But seriously, the net material is probably, other than the operator, the greatest hazard when netting fish. There are less expensive materials than knotless nylon, there are materials that are easier to obtain, but the extra investment of time and money is, in my opinion, well worth it. Net material is readily available online (see ricshaw’s link above, for example). Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Koi Net -smuji-doily-net.jpg  

Nisai

Inspired by RobF and the Shiro Muji-

Thanks for the Inspiration Rob and here is my version . 2 mm thick PVC 1/2" (used for underground piping,so its strong ) bend to a complete circle ....
    Have a 3/4" full SS tube for handle - now how do i connect it - cant seem to find a 3/4" to 1/2" reducer locally otherwise could have used a 'T' like RobF.

Anybody got any suggestion .??

Have got the Knot less net material too - but cant see any way to connect .DIY Koi Net -dscn0866.jpg....

The 'T' I have used in the picture is an electrical conduit ..I have stronger Plumbing "T"s also.

Funny to see this one come up. Bending pvc into a circle has its benefits(hot sand inside?). To attach loop to handle you could make the circle have 90deg legs that fit (squashed somewhat) into your handle. The tee connection takes a lot of stress so make it strong. Attach the net like I did with goop (first 6 spots around the loop and then continuous).

I have found that over time the pvc can get brittle and so the wrong drop or too much stress can break it. The net is buoyant and floating is good for some purposes, but it makes the net harder to push. I considered putting holes in the loop or possibly filling it, but this moves away from KISS.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast